T Nation

How to Widen your Arms

What would be the best excercises/setup to focus on widening up upper arms? I was thinking of really hitting the outer triceps with close grip presses. Is this the key muscle to make your arms look “fuller” when viewed from the front?

I have been doing a push/pull/legs routine, hitting each body part 2x a week. One light day and one heavy day. I’ve been lifing on and off since high school, and have been doing it serious over the last 2 years with decent results.

this is a typical arm workout:
Heavy day: Barbell curls 3x8 reps
Hammer curls 3x8
CG Bench 3x6
OH DB Extensions 4x8

Light Day: Incline DB curls 3x12
Pinwheel curls 3x12
Overhead rope ext 3x12
Cable pushdowns 4x12

Taking in about 1000 extra calories a day.

Thanks in advance.

Just get bigger triceps and biceps, no need to focus on specific heads. Whether arm appears full or not it’s mainly due to muscle belly shape. All you can do to make it fuller is to get overall bigger. You can hardly make a specific part of muscle out of proportion to another, unless they perform different tasks
(e.g. shoulders, traps).

more triceps work.

Yea you can really only make your arm bigger in general. I too suffer from the skinny from the front and back, but just focusing on getting bigger arms will help.

Get huge triceps.

Try this.

It works… Amazingly well…

While you can makes your upper arm muscles larger, I think obsessing about getting ‘thicker’ isn’t a great approach. Most people will find that their arms have magically gotten thicker as they’ve increased their bicep and tricep size. Sure, you can specifically target heads of the tricep, but I think the best advice in that video was that the Triceps make up most of your upper arm mass. That’s something that seems to get lost on the guys who perform endless sets of curls 7 days a week.

S

Reverse curls definetely made my arms appear thicker from the front atleast. Still struggling with triceps.

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
That’s something that seems to get lost on the guys who perform endless sets of curls 7 days a week.S[/quote]

They superset them all with ab work down my way!

[quote]zraw wrote:
Try this.

Thanks. I think I found my answer.

[quote]BlueCollarTr8n wrote:

That’s something that seems to get lost on the guys who perform endless sets of curls 7 days a week.S[/quote]

They superset them all with ab work down my way! [/quote]

I know this is often a joke to make fun of folks, but has anyone actually legimitately seen someone come in (obviously you have to be at the gym regularly to know they don’t show up some other time), do just Bench, Curls, and Abs, then call it a day? And this occurs 2-3 times a week? I don’t think anyone is honestly that retarded.

[quote]Quasi-Tech wrote:

I know this is often a joke to make fun of folks, but has anyone actually legimitately seen someone come in (obviously you have to be at the gym regularly to know they don’t show up some other time), do just Bench, Curls, and Abs, then call it a day? And this occurs 2-3 times a week? I don’t think anyone is honestly that retarded.[/quote]

Before I transferred to the college I’m at now, there was a guy who went to the school gym regularly (several times a week) and did nothing but curls. Didn’t even bench or do ab work.

He was tall and lanky, like a swimmer or long distance runner type body. He had no muscle definition anywhere on his body, except he had some impressive biceps. Not huge, but pretty damn good.

I know for a fact that he did nothing but curls, because I watched him several times, because I couldn’t really believe that someone would ONLY do curls and thats it. It was very odd.

[quote]Quasi-Tech wrote:

I know this is often a joke to make fun of folks, but has anyone actually legimitately seen someone come in (obviously you have to be at the gym regularly to know they don’t show up some other time), do just Bench, Curls, and Abs, then call it a day? And this occurs 2-3 times a week? I don’t think anyone is honestly that retarded.[/quote]

Yeah. Granted, this is when I was in high school, but several of the distance runners only benched and curled. The coach was fine with us building up some upper body strength and size for momentum purposes, but didn’t want us training legs. His view (which I tend to agree with) was that if we had the energy to still train legs, we weren’t running hard enough at track/xc practice. We already had significant volume on a weekly basis (40+ miles a week of training, most of that very hard; plenty of interval work, hill work, and competition).

Sprinters on the other hand were expected to train legs.

[quote]Quasi-Tech wrote:

about half my gym, not to mention finishing with tons of cable flies. Maybe some chins are thrown in as a warm up

[quote]bignate wrote:
more triceps work. [/quote]

your answer.

keep in mind though a large population of big dudes have destroyed there elbows due to tricep workouts so be smart. warm up, wear neoprene sleeves, and don’t go balls to the wall heavy all of the time do sets of like 15-20 as much or more often then you are doing sets of 10 or less.

[quote]zraw wrote:
Try this.

great fucking read, i wish i had discovered this before i thrashed my elbows doing nothing but stretching movements for my triceps every week for 2 or 3 years