How to Use Oly Lifts?

First off, this is my first post though I’ve used the site for a while. I’m looking forward to discussing things with all of you.

Anyway, I’m basically training for all around athleticism so I aim to incorporate a variety of training styles. I’ve been a mixed athlete for years, so I have experience, but I always struggle with how to best use the Olympic lifts and their variations most effectively. Currently, I am looking to spend 4 days a week lifting and another 2-4 doing various forms of cardiovascular work, plyometrics, GPP, etc.

The most basic question that I have is how to use the Olympic lifts. However, I feel that I can ask that question a lot more specifically. In the past I have generally used Olympic movements interspersed amongst my other workouts. Say doing one movement every time I am in the gym or twice a week, whatever. That is one option.

I am curious if dedicating one day a week to Olympic movements would work also. It would allow me to really focus on the movements for that day. Would this work? Which would most likely be better?

I’m assuming that there will be no one answer to this question but I’d like some opinions.

[quote]WT wrote:
Currently, I am looking to spend 4 days a week lifting and another 2-4 doing various forms of cardiovascular work, plyometrics, GPP, etc.

In the past I have generally used Olympic movements interspersed amongst my other workouts. Say doing one movement every time I am in the gym or twice a week, whatever. That is one option. I am curious if dedicating one day a week to Olympic movements would work also. It would allow me to really focus on the movements for that day. Would this work? Which would most likely be better? [/quote]

If you would outline more specifically your routine then it would be easier to make suggestions…cause I think that all programs should be considered as a whole rather than looking at certain details.

Anyway the bottom line is that if you want to do better in the olympic lifts then you are better of practising each lift at least twice per week rather than just once. So in my opinion you should spread your olympic lifts throughout the week. Always do your olympic lifts first in the workout because you need to be fresh in order to be explosive and coordinated.

If you have other priorities in training besides olympic lifts then you probably should periodize your training…that is focus on olympic lifts for a certain period then on other things for another period. While you are focusing on other aspects you could still do some kind of maintenance work (with less frequency/intensity/volume) for olympic lifts…like once a week.

I’ve mixed olympic lifts with powerlifts and bodybuilding for many years (not competing in any sports). For example when focusing on powerlifts I’ve usually done snatches and cleans on lower body days and jerks/presses on upper body days while doing an upper/lower split.