T Nation

How to Use Kinesio Tape?

I would like to know how to use Kinesio tape properly. My target muscles are my adductors. My goal with the tape is to relax these muscles so they aren't always so tight.

Any help would be most appreciated.

BackInAction,

I'd recommend purchasing the "Clinical Therapeutic Applications of the Kinesio Taping Method" by Kenzo Kase, Jim Wallis, and Tsuyoshi Kase. It discusses the proper application technique, discussion amounts of tension to use, directions of pull, etc. and also has sections on each body part for applications to each area.

Here is a link to the book on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Clinical-Therapeutic-Application-Kinesio%C2%AE-Taping/dp/B000FOXZGM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1287182807&sr=8-2

This is the same one we have at our Studio. People think I am a miracle worker now because of this book.

Im_New_Feed_Me,

We have the same book in the facility I work out of as well. And to add to my statement, I think that the course they offer is good in that a certified instructor can show the proper application technique and make sure you are doing it correctly, but from the discussions I have had with people who have taken the KT1 and KT2 course, unless you want to put the credentials at the end of your name, you can just as easily get the needed information from buying that book and studying it yourself.

Thank you both for the information. I will order the book today.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

It has worked very well for the clients I have with nerve problems so severe that their range of motion was about 1/4 of what it should have been. 5 minutes after the tape was applied, they were different people.

Ok, number 1, I'm no expert.. . so this example was just trial and error on my part.

Last year I had a client that was about 50 years old, slightly underweight and had little to no strength in his entire body. He was referred to me by our physio clinic because he had completed treatment up there. He was in a severe car accident about 3 years prior, and while he was rehabbing his accident, suffered a quite debilitating stroke.

Even getting out of a chair was incredibly painful for him. I had never dealt with someone in quite that bad of shape before so we started by doing some mobility/flexibility tests (since strength tests were out of the question). We quickly came to realize that most of his problems stemmed from his right side. I wont even begin to get into his lower body problems, because that's an entirely different story.

The range of motion of his right arm through the sagital and frontal plane was about 30 degrees. If he tried to increase the range, he would almost pass out due to the pain he was experiencing through his radial ulnar nerve. Now, I had used kinesio tape in the past to inhibit upper traps, so I figured why not try it for his nerve impingement. We had to attempt it 3 times or so before we finally hit it, but within 5 minutes he had more range of motion than he had had in about 2 years. He got very excited and told me how happy he was to be able to play golf again that summer, but I had to break it to him that it was sort of like a band-aid, not a long term fix, but rather a way for us to work him through a more full range of motion. Within about 12 weeks (and a pretty intense mobility program), he had almost complete range in his right arm (without the tape) as well as almost equal strength in both arms.

Now, the tape didn't fix his problem, but I feel that it was a huge factor in getting him back to where he wanted to be.
He is now playing golf 3 times/week like he was before his accident.. contrary to what most of the doctors he saw, believed.

What do you guys think?

KT works wonders on a shoulder issue I had. KT is the shit, and BBB is the man, OP listen to him and all will be well.