How to Treat Slightly Pulled Muscle?

Hi, how should I treat slightly pulled muscle? I know that first days I should put an ice on it for 20mins a few times a day and let it rest. But what should I do 1 weak after injury? When should I start to use hot or start stretching it or start working out it a little bit?

thanks

Pain free ROM work ASAP. Heat as soon as any and all swelling has subsided. If heat causes more swelling discontinue.

[quote]CroatianRage wrote:
Pain free ROM work ASAP. Heat as soon as any and all swelling has subsided. If heat causes more swelling discontinue.[/quote]

Bingo, do not static stretch. Ride an aerobic bike as well, anything to promote blood flow to the region in a pain free manner.

Cro, have you used Microcurrent type electrical current for muscle and or bone issues?

I’ve never used microcurrent, well once in school for sinuses I think, but it seems to me like it could be effective since we were taught it affects the body on the cellular level which could have some pretty interesting effects on healing. I put e-stim in with ice and NSAIDs where I think it’s useful for pain relief but I don’t really like it for much else.

My practice is entirely hands on. Graston, FAKTR, manual myofascial release, dry needling (eventually, TX makes us take the National Acupuncture Board because they’re dumb and think dry needling = acupuncture), rehab exercise. I’m currently trying to work out a deal to be placed in a brand new gym and we may be able to corner the market in sports performance in my region, which I’m pretty excited about.

[quote]CroatianRage wrote:
I’ve never used microcurrent, well once in school for sinuses I think, but it seems to me like it could be effective since we were taught it affects the body on the cellular level which could have some pretty interesting effects on healing. I put e-stim in with ice and NSAIDs where I think it’s useful for pain relief but I don’t really like it for much else.

My practice is entirely hands on. Graston, FAKTR, manual myofascial release, dry needling (eventually, TX makes us take the National Acupuncture Board because they’re dumb and think dry needling = acupuncture), rehab exercise. I’m currently trying to work out a deal to be placed in a brand new gym and we may be able to corner the market in sports performance in my region, which I’m pretty excited about.[/quote]

Well if your looking into sporting performance then you should re-consider your stance on NMES ( a lot of clinicians have the same viewpoint as you, not sure why). There is a good systematic review by flipovic on its use for highly trained athletic populations, it works well if you apply it and then perform plyometic training.

I am interested in the purported effects of micro current, although I have
many full text subscriptions, unfortunately I cannot get my hands on any full text articles on microcurrent effects on exercise recovery.

This posters complaint has me pondering the effects of microcurrent on muscle strain recovery.

E-Stim plus exercise after is something I would do. I frown on patients coming in for pain and being strapped to electricity and sent on their way.

I started a thread saying since you’ve brought up microcurrent someone in my chiro mentors group posted an article about it. It’s in PDF form so let me know if you would like it.