How To Transform - Austin_Bicep

[quote]austin_bicep wrote:
Thanks everyone for support and sharing your stories. It’s all very inspirational. With the right mindset anyone can accomplish great feats. It’s learning to be fearless and persistent at attacking goals that produces results.

[quote]ironmanzvw wrote:
Can’t stand people who just breed negativity.

Anyway,

Excellent progress man. Really impressive.

I’m about to start a slow cut/recomp here in the next few weeks myself.

I plan on just reducing my carbs by only about 20% to start off with. I’m not fat or anything lol, just put on some extra bf while bulking this winter.

In your cutting experience, is ANY cardio necessary for a slower, steadier cut? Or do you think I could just manipulate my calories?

Thanks![/quote]

Fat loss begins with diet, you don’t need cardio. I like it because it makes me feel good, keeps me feeling healthy, speeds up the process. Ultimately cardio or not, if you burn more than you eat, you will loss weight.

[quote]Matias A. wrote:
You used supplements at all? or just food?[/quote]

Currently no supps, two years ago I liked using humapro.

[quote]detazathoth wrote:

[quote]optheta wrote:
Bro you should focus on a career or something, this online Fitness stuff is hard to break into. Spend your time else were.[/quote]

Trollolololol

Considering that I know Austin personally, dude’s got a good head on his shoulders. I hope that we get weird come St. Patty’s day Austin.[/quote]

I’m pumped bro, excited to see everyone again.

[quote]MiJuggernaut wrote:
Austin I love what you are doing with fitness and on this site. I also thinkf myself as a body tranformer. Although I have lost some 90 lbs of fat, and gained a healthy amount of muscle, crisp definition and a nice six pack have elluded me. I have some questions for you.
-Do you always count calories on a cut? Aren’t some of the best foods the most difficult to count? IF I make a salad with 9 ingredients, I am unable to come up with an accurate measure of calories.
-How boring do you keep your diet? What does a sample day look like?
-What do you think seperates ppl who get very go resultas and those who get excellent results?
-Is there an optimal macro breakdown? Do you manipulate carbs on a daily basis? (Sorry if this is covered above)[/quote]

You do not have to count calories on a cut.

However, if you want to get in the best shape you can, you do. Don’t you want to be your best?

I use an app on my phone, there is a website too where you can easily enter a food, the quantity and it counts the cals and macros for you. It’s called "fitday.

People with good results and excellent results are separated by the small things. Small things add up to big things given time. Do I count my cals? Do I resist temptation and only “cheat” on a planned day? Can I make some sacrifices in my life (giving up counterproductive habits) so that I can benefit toward my goals…

It’s the little things that count. Consistency is key.

Everyone is different. I do change my macros up daily…300 carb on training day with 80 Fat…75-100 carb on off days with 120 F…depends on the day but I carb cycle based on my energy expenditures for the day. If I am not doing much, I won’t eat a lot of carbs…If I am exercising for 2.5 hours (lift and cardio) yea I need more carbs than an off day.[/quote]

holy fuck. 2.5 hour gym sessions?

haha how many days a week do you do this?

[quote]paulieserafini wrote:

Thanks everyone for support and sharing your stories. It’s all very inspirational. With the right mindset anyone can accomplish great feats. It’s learning to be fearless and persistent at attacking goals that produces results.

[quote]ironmanzvw wrote:
Can’t stand people who just breed negativity.

Anyway,

Excellent progress man. Really impressive.

I’m about to start a slow cut/recomp here in the next few weeks myself.

I plan on just reducing my carbs by only about 20% to start off with. I’m not fat or anything lol, just put on some extra bf while bulking this winter.

In your cutting experience, is ANY cardio necessary for a slower, steadier cut? Or do you think I could just manipulate my calories?

Thanks![/quote]

Fat loss begins with diet, you don’t need cardio. I like it because it makes me feel good, keeps me feeling healthy, speeds up the process. Ultimately cardio or not, if you burn more than you eat, you will loss weight.

[quote]Matias A. wrote:
You used supplements at all? or just food?[/quote]

Currently no supps, two years ago I liked using humapro.

[quote]detazathoth wrote:

[quote]optheta wrote:
Bro you should focus on a career or something, this online Fitness stuff is hard to break into. Spend your time else were.[/quote]

Trollolololol

Considering that I know Austin personally, dude’s got a good head on his shoulders. I hope that we get weird come St. Patty’s day Austin.[/quote]

I’m pumped bro, excited to see everyone again.

[quote]MiJuggernaut wrote:
Austin I love what you are doing with fitness and on this site. I also thinkf myself as a body tranformer. Although I have lost some 90 lbs of fat, and gained a healthy amount of muscle, crisp definition and a nice six pack have elluded me. I have some questions for you.
-Do you always count calories on a cut? Aren’t some of the best foods the most difficult to count? IF I make a salad with 9 ingredients, I am unable to come up with an accurate measure of calories.
-How boring do you keep your diet? What does a sample day look like?
-What do you think seperates ppl who get very go resultas and those who get excellent results?
-Is there an optimal macro breakdown? Do you manipulate carbs on a daily basis? (Sorry if this is covered above)[/quote]

You do not have to count calories on a cut.

However, if you want to get in the best shape you can, you do. Don’t you want to be your best?

I use an app on my phone, there is a website too where you can easily enter a food, the quantity and it counts the cals and macros for you. It’s called "fitday.

People with good results and excellent results are separated by the small things. Small things add up to big things given time. Do I count my cals? Do I resist temptation and only “cheat” on a planned day? Can I make some sacrifices in my life (giving up counterproductive habits) so that I can benefit toward my goals…

It’s the little things that count. Consistency is key.

Everyone is different. I do change my macros up daily…300 carb on training day with 80 Fat…75-100 carb on off days with 120 F…depends on the day but I carb cycle based on my energy expenditures for the day. If I am not doing much, I won’t eat a lot of carbs…If I am exercising for 2.5 hours (lift and cardio) yea I need more carbs than an off day.[/quote]

holy fuck. 2.5 hour gym sessions?

haha how many days a week do you do this?[/quote]

6 days a week, typically 90 minutes of weights, 45-60 of cardio daily.

1 Like

Why have you decided to start with the marketing/presentation aspect of becoming a “trainer/“guru”/[whatever term]” before having developed any actual expertise? Is it because those who have a lot of knowledge right now aren’t always the best at presenting it and you wanted to work on that early? It just seems odd to be investing your time in making videos and such when you could be learning about the stuff that you’re wanting to develop expertise in.

[quote]The3Commandments wrote:
Why have you decided to start with the marketing/presentation aspect of becoming a “trainer/“guru”/[whatever term]” before having developed any actual expertise? Is it because those who have a lot of knowledge right now aren’t always the best at presenting it and you wanted to work on that early? It just seems odd to be investing your time in making videos and such when you could be learning about the stuff that you’re wanting to develop expertise in.
[/quote]

Good question.

I like making the videos because they do get out there to people.

They motivate me.

And ultimately, practice for the future. Rather get comfortable behind the camera now, than have to learn it later on.

I’ll be around for a while. Some big changes to come in the future, I can promise that.

I initially started out to get across to my peer audience (college students), I haven’t come across anyone in the rec as developed as myself so I have knowledge to share. Then I’d get questions from friends/students and follow up with a video response.

I want to gain exposure so I can have a story for later on, something for people to look back on so they can say, “this guy knows about progress, because proof is in the pudding.” I’ve gotten clients off youtube and even if I just help a couple people it’s worth it.

[quote]Unaware wrote:
Austin,

Your threads are very motivational. I have a very similar story to you, growing up always being the chubby kid. Recently I’ve gone through a bit of a transformation, not quite as drastic as yours, but I’m in fairly decent shape now. Reading your threads keeps me motivated to stay focused on my goals. Keep it up.

Also you’re completely right about getting into shape changing a lot more than just your physique. It changes your whole perspective on life.

Good luck with your videos, I’ll definitely watch them. [/quote]

[quote]Ripsaw3689 wrote:
Good thread Austin. I definitely think you can help bring some motivation to beginning lifters. ^I also grew up as a fat kid and transformed my body over years of hard work.

Are you planning on competing? [/quote]

Love to hear this. Post your stories guys, honestly it’s just motivation for us all.

If I were to compete it’d be in mens physique, nothing planned in the near future. Currently I want to get very lean and spend the next few years slapping on the muscle remaining conditioned.

Next time I powerlift I want to be shredded in the 220lb class, not just lean. My numbers should be better.[/quote]

Thanks Austin.

You can see my progress thus far in my log.

If you have any advice for me I’d appreciate it.

Regardless of my dickishness, you have made better progress then I thought and for what its worth then me. So good job.

[quote]optheta wrote:
Regardless of my dickishness, you have made better progress then I thought and for what its worth then me. So good job.[/quote]
Wow… An apology on a Bbing site? Never seen such beauty! initiate slow clap

2 week difference guys, let’s get shredded.

Crazy how leaning out make one look bigger/better.

I asked you those question in your log, repost in here so you can see it.

1. You say that you work up to a top set, but looking at your log, sometimes you do the top set with the same weight 2 sets in a row, is there any reason for that?

2. I know you used the 5 3 1 scheme in the past, did you ever tried it with higher frequency?

Ex: A 3 way split with Deads, Squat and Bench press like Dead/pull day, Bench press/push day, Squat/ leg day, on a 3 on 1 off or a 2 on 1 off 1 on 1 off… ?

[quote]GTFOmyPowerRack wrote:

1. You say that you work up to a top set, but looking at your log, sometimes you do the top set with the same weight 2 sets in a row, is there any reason for that?

2. I know you used the 5 3 1 scheme in the past, did you ever tried it with higher frequency?

Ex: A 3 way split with Deads, Squat and Bench press like Dead/pull day, Bench press/push day, Squat/ leg day, on a 3 on 1 off or a 2 on 1 off 1 on 1 off… ? [/quote]

I’m an instinctual trainer so I go by feel. On a heavy compound I typically work up to a top set to failure.

Lately I’ve been experimenting with using multiple work sets on my compounds…something like 5 x 5 but the sets and reps vary.

Everything after the first heavy lift is done for a pump. I use TUT as a tool with squeezes and slow negatives. It’s helped a lot.

So sometimes I’ll pick a weight, hit it for 12…then rest 30 seconds (I use short rest periods because they have produced more growth for me) and then do that same weight for 8…the drop down…

There is no real method on those exercises except to work the muscle to it’s fullest capability, so just hammering it hard. I only focus on real strength progression on that first exercise.

5/3/1 didn’t work well for me.

I got very strong doing a variation of the big 3 in each workout, lifting full body every other day.

I could not do that for hypertrophy though. What I do now works better.

Do you have a current log? All I can find is one from like 2008 haha.

Ex: A 3 way split with Deads, Squat and Bench press like Dead/pull day, Bench press/push day, Squat/ leg day, on a 3 on 1 off or a 2 on 1 off 1 on 1 off… ? [/quote]

I’m an instinctual trainer so I go by feel. On a heavy compound I typically work up to a top set to failure.

I got very strong doing a variation of the big 3 in each workout, lifting full body every other day.

[/quote]

Interesting. On that fullbody your talking, did you still only did one top set by heavy compound?

So would a tipical schedule to you be like:

squat ramped to a top set
bench press ramped to a top set
dealift ramped to a top set
off
front squat ramped to a top set
Incline Bench press ramped to a top set
Trap bar deadlift ramped to a top set
Off
etc…

And did you added Back training, arms, shoulder, etc.?

Thanks for the answer. Looking for some advice about programing, my goal is to break my strenght/muscle building plateau and you pretty much have the strenght/physique I’m aiming for.

[quote]Mtag666 wrote:
Do you have a current log? All I can find is one from like 2008 haha.[/quote]

Shredded, strong, muscled is the title of my newest log, but I haven’t posted much.

I kind of did not see the point after a while.

I don’t workout to show off, and I don’t need much advice right now. It was kind of just a hassle.

I might start one again if people are interested.

[/quote]

Interesting. On that fullbody your talking, did you still only did one top set by heavy compound?

So would a tipical schedule to you be like:

squat ramped to a top set
bench press ramped to a top set
dealift ramped to a top set
off
front squat ramped to a top set
Incline Bench press ramped to a top set
Trap bar deadlift ramped to a top set
Off
etc…

And did you added Back training, arms, shoulder, etc.?

Thanks for the answer. Looking for some advice about programing, my goal is to break my strenght/muscle building plateau and you pretty much have the strenght/physique I’m aiming for.[/quote]

No. I would rarely go to failure on that program and would do a ton of work sets. I’d make small jumps in weight every two weeks. I have 1.25lb plates I would often use to PR.

Way too much to explain, but if you go onto my austinbicep youtube channel from a few months back I have training videos doing this to give you a more clear idea.

I may have even made a log. Google “A Modern Hercules in Training” it’s the first result…it’s my log

PM me on youtube if you cant find it.

Almost shredded

Great progress man

[quote]bnkNando wrote:
Great progress man[/quote]

Thanks boss!

Hey bro what would you think of that:

Deadlift 5/3/1 - Back, bicep and traps
Bench press 5/3/1 - AM : Chest and tricep PM: Shoulder
OFF
Squat 5/3/1 - Legs and core
OFF
Repeat

If I don’t abuse the assistance work, I feel I would be ready to go again after 5 day. My lift are still low, (squat 305, deadlift 385, bench press 285) but my recover is not good enough for me to hit the same lift a 2-3 times a week.

Hey bro what would you think of that:

Deadlift 5/3/1 - Back, bicep and traps
Bench press 5/3/1 - AM : Chest and tricep PM: Shoulder
OFF
Squat 5/3/1 - Legs and core
OFF
Repeat

If I don’t abuse the assistance work, I feel I would be ready to go again after 5 day. My lift are still low, (squat 305, deadlift 385, bench press 285) but my recover is not good enough for me to hit the same lift a 2-3 times a week.[/quote]

Looks fine.

I bet you’d recover better if you didn’t train to failure.

I wish I had my old notebook for what %s I used.

Did you find my old log?

I periodizied my training to hit failure like once every 4-6 weeks working up.

I know 5/3/1 you have the option of going to failure on the last set if you hit the reps.

But it is a good program. Take the deload week it’s important.