How to Train Yourself to Eat More?

That’s a long time to eat that few calories. Your trainer’s probably right about why you’re not losing weight. You’ve essentially trained your body that it’s in long-term near starvation mode. So it’s holding on to what you’ve got for dear life. I’m not a dietician and can’t advise you in how to remedy that.

I’ve seen a number of these types of posts lately from women who can’t lose weight and are on what I consider to be extremely low calorie diets. Saddens me.

For what it’s worth, I am weeks away from 51 years old. I compete in the 114-lb weight class (small). I don’t track calories but estimate I eat 2,000-3,000 calories daily, with lots of it being high fat, high protein sources. I wish women would realize they can achieve a decent physique without so much deprivation.

Good luck to you.

3 Likes

I honestly don’t think it’s knowingly intentional. You hear it everywhere to lose weight you must be at a deficit, but no one tells you there’s more to that than just being at a deficit. My mistake was listening to myfitnesspal.com users. “Starvation mode” is a dirty word there. They tell people there’s no such thing as starvation mode. There logic behind is, “Starvation mode isn’t real because you don’t see Ethiopians running around with fat on their backs.” It’s a dumb logic and insensitive thing to say in my opinion. Or you get people that say, “I lost weight on 500 calories a day so there’s no such thing a starvation mode.” I’m sure they lost a lot of muscle and did some damage to themselves too. If something goes against what they have learned from other users on that site, they will argue that it is not applicable or not good advice even when it comes from an expert in that field of study because the author is not a “medical doctor”. For me if I’m trying to lose weight or build muscle I would not got see a medical doctor unless there is a real medical issue going on that is causing me to not to achieve my fitness goals. It’s literally wrong/bad advice that gets pushed around and no one bothers to check references, credentials, or legitimacy of said fact.

Just curious, do you have a training log on here? What are your goals?

No, I didn’t know you could have a training log on here. I’ve just been reading articles and forum posts. My ultimate goal is to be about 16% body fat. I heard that’s a good percentage for women. I’m currently at 33.5% body fat. For me that’s probably more like 50 pounds of fat to go. I need to gain some muscle. I’m not sure how much though. Oh, and tighten up some areas like under arms and get rid of the mommy muffin top.

There is training log section. It has helped me to keep track of what is working and what doesn’t. Maybe something to consider. Also, there is a company called Bluebonnet that offers all natural products. Protein powders, vegan, dairy free, gluten free etc… they cost a little more, but if you have sensitivities it may be worth a look.

1 Like

Where’s the training log section? I don’t see it.

I use my phone so, on mine it is the second section on the forum. Right under Forum Feedback. Says Training logs.

How old are you? If you’re over 35 (or close), the O35 section is a great place to log your training. It’s a very active group of polite and helpful people.

I’m approaching 31. My trainer has me keep training logs in a folder. Right now it’s easier exercises to get me started, but he’s increasing the level next week when I come back because he saw I can do the exercises fairly easy with my current plan. Except pushups. I have a hard time with pushups. I guess that’s normal for women.

In terms of the protein… you could buy an unflavoured whey if you dont like the flavoured ones as an alternative. In terms of needing more calories you could up your good fats a little with some flax seed/olive oil, avacados and nuts.

Situation A bars are usually aimed more at guys and they’re a big slab of gooey, rock hard sugar with some protein powder mixed through to make them extra jaw breaking. They are not something you want to eat in your situation.

I am currently having to eat more than I would like, and I find the only way to do so is to have a plan and make damn sure your ass sticks to it.

So say you’re trying to do (this is just my own example, and obviously you don’t need anything near these numbers):

-200g protein
-360g carbs
-150g fat

(or whatever)

And you know you’re going to eat 4 meals (or whatever), then divide those macros by 4, work out a diet plan that fits it, and stick to it religiously.

Not hungry? Tough shit. Get that meal down you, and when it’s time to eat, eat again even if you don’t want to. It gets easier.

2 Likes

The vegan thing isn’t a problem. I was dating a vegan girl for a while and didn’t eat meat for a couple years. I ate fish maybe twice a week, and huge quantities of nuts, seeds, quinoa, beans, rice and lentils as well as veggies. It helped that she grew up vegan and knew how to cook, if I’d tried to do it myself my food would have sucked. I also never stopped eating butter, but didn’t do other dairy

I felt great the whole time and it definitely didn’t hold me back. But I was definitely eating plenty of protein, its not difficult to look up which sources you need to combine to get the full amino acid profile. I actually found it easier to eat more when I wasn’t eating meat, meat keeps me full for a lot longer. Its just harder to make a vegan diet work, you have to make more effort

Pea protein is supposed to be a good source of protein. You can buy it on Amazon.

I know what you are saying with respect to the flavors but sometimes you have to consider food as something that helps you achieve your goals rather than something that is satisfying. I have found ways to sneak it into my daughter’s food - she adds a vanilla whey to her smoothies, and I add it to her pancakes.

With respect to calories, I know it’s hard to break the mentality of less is better, but you are getting good advice here, so try to buy into it and make the changes. It is often best to make them gradually.

I started a log here a few months ago and have gotten both encouragement and advice that have been invaluable. It also makes me more accountable.

Good luck!

She must have been some sort of looker…

HA ha! My Uncle started dated a vegetarian and he converted to eating vegetarian as well. I haven’t seen her yet, but she must be worth it.

I’m okay with eating meat. I just can’t chow it down that much because my heart tends to race after eating it. From my understanding is there is sodium in meat. I could be wrong, but I think that is what could be causing it. I did try to eat more protein yesterday and was able to get to 100 grams, but that’s still about half of what I need for my current weight.

Chris already said the bulk of what need to be said.

Some options: digestive enzymes early on in meal -push back the feeling of fullness and bloat and allow you to get more nutrition out of the food you consume

A lot of experienced trainers like this and its vegan…

Leucine is especially beneficial or veggies…

These guys have good tips…

https://www.instagram.com/p/BH-zi-WgXf1/?taken-by=joedonnellyfit

Way to go! It’s a start.

Here’s some “small volume” foods which are calorically dense, and also nutritious.

30 grams of walnuts (good fats). — 200 calories

one tablespoon of olive oil (also good fats) – 120 calories

2 tbsp. peanut butter — 200 calories

Good tip in this thread about the milk. Drink a couple of glasses per day.