How to Train With CoC Grippers?

After over a year with sporting good store grippers, I no longer seem to feel any significant resistance from them. I literally have to squeeze a pair shut over 500 times to get a decent workout. This is time-consuming, and boring. So, I ordered a number 1 from CoC.

Big difference.

The trouble is that I’ve really got no idea of how to work with this thing. I can’t even really close it completely, yet!

I’m excited about the prospects for grip strength this thing represents, but I don’t know of any good routine to use with it.

What has worked for others?

home.insight.rr.com/strongman/training.html

Hit them heavy and frequently, just like any other muscle. Warmup, attempt 1rm, perform negatives, maybe 4x6 or something like that. Keep in mind that crushing strength is just one type of hand strength.

www.ironmind.com/ironcms/export/
IronMind/Main/crushedtodust1.html

Also read up on how to set a gripper properly. Makes a world of difference.

If you’re just starting out with the coc don’t hit them heavily or too frequently.

I think the best way to use gripers for strength is as many singles as you can with about a 3 second break switching hands

and static holds with the grips

the singels get you used to setting the grip and so you dont do partial movements also make sure you give each rep your all

I dont think they have much cary over to a bar tho

haha i have no clue how to use my number 1…I just put it in my right arm and squeeze away. I have the number one, its easy to close. I think I should get COC #2. Cause I need a new challenge. I could acutally close the first one the first time I tried it. BUT the COC#1 for my left arm is there to stay.

I don’t really know how to get my grip strength back to its oringal levels…like my arm just finished healing from the fracture but like i dunno…it seems like its not reaching its normal levels. pissing me off. Anyways im done ranting.

Not meaning to hijack the thread but while we’re on the subject of grip training, how can I work my grip without a Crusher? Right now I just don’t have the money to spend on one, so any alternatives would be nice.

[quote]Zeff wrote:
Not meaning to hijack the thread but while we’re on the subject of grip training, how can I work my grip without a Crusher? Right now I just don’t have the money to spend on one, so any alternatives would be nice.[/quote]

hanging from a chin up bar for time, i found that good and some deads with chalk, i’m thinking about getting a number 2 coc, have a grip dyno in work have done 88kg on it.

[quote]Zeff wrote:
Not meaning to hijack the thread but while we’re on the subject of grip training, how can I work my grip without a Crusher? Right now I just don’t have the money to spend on one, so any alternatives would be nice.[/quote]

or even get some old magazines and stack them and rip them in half.

[quote]Zeff wrote:
Not meaning to hijack the thread but while we’re on the subject of grip training, how can I work my grip without a Crusher?[/quote]

Squeeze a tennis ball

Never use straps on any lift

Wrap a towel around the pullup bar and perform pullups/chinups by holding on to the towel. Also for dumbbell exercises.

Use thick barbells for your lifts

Perform snatch-grip deadlift variations

Do static holds with a loaded barbell.

Always squeeze the barbell as hard as possible when performing sets of anything.

I honestly haven’t trained with grippers that intensely. I mainly use the ones I have to test how my recovery is going before I go to the gym. My grip is strong enough to hold onto my 1RM deadlift so that’s good enough for me.

Okay, I don’t want to get into a pissing contest here but the forearm IS NOT the same as any other muscle group. And if you train it that way you will not achieve as good results as if you had trained it properly.

also include olympic weight lifting exercises in yr program, power cleans/snatches. I don’t do any specific grip work outside the gym but i believe that also helped me in closing the no.3 COC

Edders wrote: Okay, I don’t want to get into a pissing contest here but the forearm IS NOT the same as any other muscle group. And if you train it that way you will not achieve as good results as if you had trained it properly.

so how do you train your forarms properly then?

[quote]rutkowsky wrote:
also include olympic weight lifting exercises in yr program, power cleans/snatches. I don’t do any specific grip work outside the gym but i believe that also helped me in closing the no.3 COC [/quote]

I don’t think anyone has ever closed the #3 without training for it. I call bullshit. Unless you can show proof, I’m not buying it. You can’t claim a world-class feat of strength without proof.

[quote]rutkowsky wrote:
Edders wrote: Okay, I don’t want to get into a pissing contest here but the forearm IS NOT the same as any other muscle group. And if you train it that way you will not achieve as good results as if you had trained it properly.

so how do you train your forarms properly then?[/quote]

That would depend on your specific goals regarding forearm and grip stength.

[quote]OneEye wrote:
You can’t claim a world-class feat of strength without proof.[/quote]

Sure he can this is the Internet.

:wink:

there we go, i train in Genesis Gym in North London, gym owner Dave Beattie, world powerlifting champ. and many others saw me doing it, (i should add that i used to be a competitive powerlifter myself and did 3 strongman shows, not international meets though )

then again, how could i ever prove that i have never trained for it? Not unless your my wife who is with me 24/7 and my input to this thread? Just forget about it, i just wanted to give some info i felt could be important to someone’s program and NOT to brag about what i do or lift.

[quote]rutkowsky wrote:
there we go, i train in Genesis Gym in North London, gym owner Dave Beattie, world powerlifting champ. and many others saw me doing it, (i should add that i used to be a competitive powerlifter myself and did 3 strongman shows, not international meets though )

then again, how could i ever prove that i have never trained for it? Not unless your my wife who is with me 24/7 and my input to this thread? Just forget about it, i just wanted to give some info i felt could be important to someone’s program and NOT to brag about what i do or lift.[/quote]

I didn’t ask for proof that you never trained for it. I asked for proof that you closed the #3. If you’re a certified Captain of Crush, I have no reason not to believe you. But if you show no proof of having closed it other than “a lot of people saw it,” then I’m skeptical.

I deadlifted 950 lbs the other day at a bodyweight of 200 lbs. Oh, but it wasn’t at a meet. Some of my friends saw me do it. I’m world-class.

[quote]OneEye wrote:
rutkowsky wrote:

then again, how could i ever prove that i have never trained for it? Not unless your my wife who is with me 24/7 and my input to this thread? Just forget about it, i just wanted to give some info i felt could be important to someone’s program and NOT to brag about what i do or lift.

I didn’t ask for proof that you never trained for it. I asked for proof that you closed the #3. If you’re a certified Captain of Crush, I have no reason not to believe you. But if you show no proof of having closed it other than “a lot of people saw it,” then I’m skeptical.

I deadlifted 950 lbs the other day at a bodyweight of 200 lbs. Oh, but it wasn’t at a meet. Some of my friends saw me do it. I’m world-class.[/quote]

Hey, that must have been the same day I smoked 500 on the bench for a set of 6.

Your wish is my command, is couple of weeks ok with you guys? There is a town called Bedford 80 miles outside of London where they sell CoC and also act as “an approved” witness, now becouse of my busy work schedule ( I run a company,i have 11 employees - do i need to prove that too? ) the earliest i can get to there during working hours (it is a store called Pullum Sports ) is in about 2 weeks but surely if i was just able to close no.2 two weeks would not be enough to work up to no.3 or would it?

i’ll leave it to you guys what you think about that, me personally it is no.4 that represents real challenge and is one of my many goals for New Year (obviously i’ll train specifically for that outside gym)