T Nation

How to Train for a Push/Pull Meet?

I have a push/pull (bench/dead) meet coming up in 2 months. I was wandering if I should change my workout routine or keep it as if I’m training for a full meet? Basically, should I continue to squat heavy and max on that or should I use that day to work on more bench and deadlift stuff? I currently workout 3 days a week, sometimes 4.

squatting will always help the DL. stay the course. don’t overthink it. focus on the main movements and decrease or stop the assistance work. focus on technique.

if you have access to a safety squat bar, using that with a box can directly help your deadlift IMO.

[quote]asooneyeonig wrote:
if you have access to a safety squat bar, using that with a box can directly help your deadlift IMO.[/quote]

Never used a SSB, but would doing front squats be kind of like that? What stance do you use on the box squat and deadlift?

Front squats are a very popular way to build the first portion of the dl (from the floor).

I like front box squats a lot for the first half of a pull.

So maybe some moderate to heavy weighted front box squats and some light back squats to keep form for potential full meets in the future. It’s just a thought, I have no idea if it would translate well to reality.