How to Train Arms for Growth?

[quote]Miller308 wrote:
Can I get some input on my program please? thanks guys[/quote]

It’s a collection of reps, sets, and exercises. If it makes you bigger and stronger, it’s the right program for you.

I don’t feel like you’re at a point in your training where programming is the biggest concern in all honesty. You can most likely make great progress with almost any approach.

My arms are at about 16.5 right now. I’m 5’10, 195ish.

I do very little direct arm work. My staple lifts include flat bench press, neutral grip pull ups, and dips. I used to do a decent amount of rowing, but I rarely do it anymore. I rarely add weight to my dips and pull ups. I prefer higher rep work. I’ll do barbell curls from time to time as well, generally in the 12 rep range. I do 5 sets of 10 pull ups usually, almost every time I go to the gym. I keep it very simple.

Honestly, the program you laid out looks pretty much fine. The only thing I would add in would be some heavier work on bench press and deadlift from time to time. Work in the 3-6 rep range sometimes. This will help build your maximal strength, which in turn will allow you to use more weight on your higher rep sets. All of this will contribute to growth.

[quote]Miller308 wrote:

I do them weighted with 3 plates for sets of 5-8. [/quote]

video please.

thanks man. Yea you can definitely see that you’re engaging your lat’s well on the pull ups, better than most people do, particularly to initiate the movement.

Seems like you have a good handle on what you need to do to gain some size. Higher reps, focus on peak contraction. Volume is your friend. Instead of doing 24 total reps of weighted pull ups, do 100 unweighted ones.

I’m also a fan of biceps/triceps supersets. When I do arm isolation work, I tend to get bored, so this is a good way to knock out the work quickly, and get a better pump. One of my favorites is to get a pair of dumbbells, usually 30 or 35’s, and alternate between lying extensions, and seated curls, in the 10 rep range, for like 3 or 4 sets without resting. Just go back and forth between the exercises.

I would say you need to get in more reps/volume say 5 x10 and once a month do 10x10 or 5x20 maybe even a 100 rep finisher…

http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1031781

I think your arms aren’t drastically lagging behind the rest of your body–I think this is in your head.

Heavy rowing, deadlifts, etc combined with high rep pump work for direct arm work is what has grown my arms to their monstrous size =D.

[quote]Bauber wrote:
Heavy rowing, deadlifts, etc combined with high rep pump work for direct arm work is what has grown my arms to their monstrous size =D.[/quote]

You think heavy rowing and deadlifts contributed to your arm development? Blasphemy!

[quote]craze9 wrote:

[quote]Bauber wrote:
Heavy rowing, deadlifts, etc combined with high rep pump work for direct arm work is what has grown my arms to their monstrous size =D.[/quote]

You think heavy rowing and deadlifts contributed to your arm development? Blasphemy![/quote]

I even curl in the squat rack for maximum growth.

[quote]Bauber wrote:

[quote]craze9 wrote:

[quote]Bauber wrote:

You think heavy rowing and deadlifts contributed to your arm development? Blasphemy![/quote]

I even curl in the squat rack for maximum growth.[/quote]

Haha. I do too (and feel guilty when people are waiting to squat).

[quote]craze9 wrote:

[quote]Bauber wrote:

[quote]craze9 wrote:

[quote]Bauber wrote:

[/quote]

I never feel guilty. Because I am curling most people’s squat at my gym.

Hahaha

[quote]craze9 wrote:

[quote]Bauber wrote:

[quote]craze9 wrote:

[quote]Bauber wrote:

[/quote]
I KNEW IT!

[quote]MinusTheColon wrote:
I think your arms aren’t drastically lagging behind the rest of your body–I think this is in your head.[/quote]

x2 Your problem may not be specific to your arm training, but a lack of overall size.