How to Train Abs for Max Definition?

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]NYWanderer1982 wrote:
The goal is to lean down to 187-185lbs for optimal performance on the field, plus for aesthetic reasons.[/quote]
How tall are you?

In-season is a terrible time to try losing fat. Your priority should be performance, not seeing maximum definition in your abs. They’re incongruent goals.

Slow the attitude, bud. You’re getting the advice you need, not the advice you want.

Fact of the matter is when you’re in-season and have games and practices every week, low volume full body training is ideal, which means you’ll be training your legs and all the other big muscle groups two or three times a week, in addition to your practices. You will be able to recover from it because you won’t be restricting calories… because, again, cutting in-season is a terrible idea.

Are you still learning form on the basic exercises?
http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_beginner/how_do_i_safely_learn_the_form_for_big_lifts

Is your knee 100% healthy with no activity/exercise restrictions?[/quote]

Please listen to this OP. You are so very off with your training.

If your goal is to be a better soccer player, that should be your goal. Not gaining “max definition” in your abs.

You really need to start educating yourself about proper athletic training. WS4SB has a good inseason template that you should be using. Not this crap you wrote down.

Also, as an athlete, a training session should never be called “shoulders and biceps” or whatever. You SHOULD be training for performance, not to look pretty.

I would also highly suggest that you expect more from yourself. You say you aren’t training your lower body because you have ONE practice and ONE game a week. That is a piss poor excuse and I wouldn’t be surprised if you aren’t training your lower body simply because it’s hard and you don’t want to.

As Colucci said, you should be training your entire body always, even inseason.

I’m not speaking out of my ass here. I play rugby at the collegiate level, with consprises of 2-3 full contact practices, 2 additional conditioning sessions on my own outside of practice, and a game every week. As you know, this sport is also much rougher on the entire body than soccer, and I still lift twice a week, training the whole body both times.

Stop the excuses and get better.