How to Train Abs for Aesthetics?

I’m really not sure where you’re going with this. I’m a competitive strongman, at the highest level, not a bodybuilder. Using me as an example of poor ab aesthetics (which as a side note, I’d bet many would disagree with), is, again, weird. My core strength is certainly not a hindrance in my sport. And I don’t train for looks.

And I absolutely love it when someone with ZERO pictures to share tries to tear down a dude with a solid physique. Go back under your bridge.

5 Likes

I’m always surprised by this question, until I read the answers it gets.

The rectus abdominis originates on the upper rim of the anterior pelvis, and inserts on and near the lower rim of the anterior ribcage. Thus, to work this muscle directly requires that one repeatedly attempt to touch the lower rim of the anterior ribcage to the upper rim of the anterior pelvis (or vice versa), against resistance. The amount of resistance should be adjusted to suit one’s preferences, as should the number (and grouping) of repetitions per session as well as the number of sessions per week.

1 Like

Could you dumb that down for me a little. Not joking. I never learned or understood the planes and whatnot as they relate to motion.

You could be describing a sit up right now and I’ll end up dislocating my spine again over this.

Close–a crunch (although there are plenty of other ways to skin this cat).

1 Like

Trying to do it while the cat is still alive turns out to be quite effective cardio

5 Likes

I will leave that to you. People used to also come up to me and expect me to write out notes for them.

I’m not a paid writer. So it’s just facts.
If you don’t want to chew and swallow, well, that’s your choice.
I remember when people would literally want me to write out the information in the gym.
At least I don’t employ the “explain yourself better” or for that matter “This is the best damn reply” or “We all know that blah blah blah” —yes we do.
If I can teach it, I know it, and believe me, I’ve taught many.

It’s the vice versa part that is key. IMO>