How to Target Lower Lats?

I am starting to get an inbalance in my back. My upper back and traps are pretty developed and my lower lats are almost non existant. I know that lower lats are a area that lots of people have trouble getting up to speed. Does anyone have any advise that has had this problem before?

try doing cable rows with a straight bar and an underhand grip and squeeze at the end of the movement… Or close grip cable rows with your body angled towards the weights if that makes sense

[quote]myself1992 wrote:
try doing cable rows with a straight bar and an underhand grip and squeeze at the end of the movement… Or close grip cable rows with your body angled towards the weights if that makes sense[/quote]

Just to add to this try pulling the bar along your legs into your waist w/ the underhand cable rows.

Reverse your grip on pull downs and lean back a bit more.

Works for me!

[quote]BSC819 wrote:
I am starting to get an inbalance in my back. My upper back and traps are pretty developed and my lower lats are almost non existant. I know that lower lats are a area that lots of people have trouble getting up to speed. Does anyone have any advise that has had this problem before?[/quote]

Review the John Medows back articles, the suitcase row kills (in a good way) my lower lats

myself 1992 is that your pic in your avatar? If so what is your entire back routine? You have great overall development and symmetry in your upper and lower back and traps.

Kayak rows.

You’re welcome.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Kayak rows.

You’re welcome.[/quote]

Tried these on several occasions, my triceps ALWAYS burn out before my lats do, any pointers?

Try these. When I do them I pull explosively, hold the peak contraction, lower under control and do a full stretch. I feel my lats all the way from the top to the bottom.

[quote]Marzouk wrote:

Kayak rows.

You’re welcome.[/quote]

Tried these on several occasions, my triceps ALWAYS burn out before my lats do, any pointers?

[/quote]

use less weight

[quote]Marzouk wrote:

Kayak rows.

You’re welcome.[/quote]

[/quote]

You are doing something wrong if that’s the case. shouldn’t be using triceps.

[quote]Marzouk wrote:

Kayak rows.

You’re welcome.[/quote]

[/quote]

Go light and ‘depress’ the lead shoulder hard at end range of movement.

One of the good things about the smith is that you can really dick around with the ROM and different areas of a muscle if your MMC is good enough. I can use the smith for bent rows and hit just about every area of my back by changing grips, pulling to mid-chest, low stomach, etc. You can doo all this without really worrying about the weight getting away from you.

just reverse your grip on bb rows and pull to the waist

I’d review Meadows’ exercises as plateau said.

Focus on pulling your elbow down or back as far as possible, almost more than is comfortable.

On single arm cable rows for instance, pull your elbow back to your hip as far as possible and then try to get it a few more inches back…same thing on single arm pulldowns.

I also really like dead-stop DB rows the way Meadows does them. My favorite is probably single arm cable rows with a very exaggerated ROM.

[quote]Maiden3.16 wrote:

[quote]Marzouk wrote:

Kayak rows.

You’re welcome.[/quote]

[/quote]

You are doing something wrong if that’s the case. shouldn’t be using triceps. [/quote]

Yep. Arms are straight. I don’t use a shit load of weight on these. I do them in a rotation of some other rowing movement like High rows or lat pull downs. If you do that, you will feel it.

One arm Lat pulldowns using a D handle. You’ll definitely feel that

[quote]Marzouk wrote:

Kayak rows.

You’re welcome.[/quote]

[/quote]

• use less weight, initially. it took me a few sessions to be able to handle the next tip:
  • keep your arms 100% locked out.
  • keep your shoulders down.

Also, try using bands. They allow you to rotate your arms forwards, so you’re not depending of the tri’s. that allows you to do some band work between pushing movements.

[quote]Maiden3.16 wrote:

[quote]Marzouk wrote:

Kayak rows.

You’re welcome.[/quote]

[/quote]

You are doing something wrong if that’s the case. shouldn’t be using triceps. [/quote]

Yep. Arms are straight. I don’t use a shit load of weight on these. I do them in a rotation of some other rowing movement like High rows or lat pull downs. If you do that, you will feel it.
[/quote]

Ok will try it out.

[quote]xilinx wrote:

[quote]Marzouk wrote:

Kayak rows.

You’re welcome.[/quote]

[/quote]

• use less weight, initially. it took me a few sessions to be able to handle the next tip:
  • keep your arms 100% locked out.
  • keep your shoulders down.

Also, try using bands. They allow you to rotate your arms forwards, so you’re not depending of the tri’s. that allows you to do some band work between pushing movements.[/quote]

Thanks for the pointers, another quick question and mite sound stupid, do push with the training arm or pull with the arm your leading with or a combo of both?