How To Take BCAA's?

BCAA’s…taken with meals, after, before…how do you guys take them?

The most useful time is probably pre-workout, the second most useful post-workout, and third most useful in the middle of the night if one tends to awaken briefly, though not necessarily more use than a high-quality casein (I’m not sure on that. Certainly the casein is fine.)

I think they’re pretty inefficient to use with “regular” meals other than the above. They’re best targeted to when the muscles are going to be burning BCAA’s (to some extent) for fuel or when rapidly uptaking nutrients. Or as an alternate means of staving off catabolic state when not taking in other quality protein for whatever reason.

Another time may be if you’re on the run during the day and can’t get a shake or meal in, some BCAA’s are better than nothing to hold you off until that next meal.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1123403

Scroll down and T-Nation writers give their various BCAA protocols there. See what you think best fits your own ideas and budget.

Definitely Pre and Post workout…Before bed and with breakfast are also great times to take them…Cant go wrong with BCAAs

[quote]Knights4 wrote:
BCAA’s…taken with meals, after, before…how do you guys take them?[/quote]

Are you cutting or trying to gain? The protocols are different.

I take mine between meals, pre workout, post workout along with Surge, and pre bed.

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:
The most useful time is probably pre-workout, the second most useful post-workout, and third most useful in the middle of the night if one tends to awaken briefly, though not necessarily more use than a high-quality casein (I’m not sure on that. Certainly the casein is fine.)

I think they’re pretty inefficient to use with “regular” meals other than the above. They’re best targeted to when the muscles are going to be burning BCAA’s (to some extent) for fuel or when rapidly uptaking nutrients. Or as an alternate means of staving off catabolic state when not taking in other quality protein for whatever reason.[/quote]

Its awesome to see you contributing to the boards Bill, thanks.