T Nation

How to Survive a Depression

Serious thread.

Since no one here has ever had to live through a Depression, much less a once-a-century Great Depression, this would be a good place to share ideas about surviving the one coming up. Ideas should also be geared toward profitting if the full brunt of this Depression fails to materialize.

History shows that the top economic power actually suffers the least, as it fades from economic hegemony. British people suffered far less than Americans, actually surpassing the USA in GDP during the 1930’s.

However the suffering tends to last longer until someone like a Margaret Thatcher arises to resuscitate the faded power.

So let’s here it. Should you really buy gold? Should you put all your cash into a safety deposit box? Chime in, with all serious and sane ideas. (Please no stuff about building bunkers and crap.)

We don’t have to worry about a depression, the government will just print more money and bail us all out.

I hope the sarcasm was obvious.

Learn how to hunt, fish, farm, live on as little as possible,lower your living standards etc. Luckily my grandparents are still alive and lived through the Depression, it is what they did.

1. Buy guns and ammo.
  2. Build a home gym.
  3. Start a veggie garden.
  4. Raise chickens.
  5. Buy solar panels and a wind mill.
  6. Build a pond and stock it with trout.
  7. Invest in precious metals.
  8. Buy two or three large guard dogs.
  9. Gate and fence your property.
  10. Buy guns and ammo.

Ok, I’ve taken some survival notes from this thread. How do I extract pure water from my urine though?

Work in a depression proof industry. Teach or nurse.

[quote]doogie wrote:
Work in a depression proof industry. Teach or nurse.[/quote]

The only depression proof industry is farming. Farmers cannot afford to send their children to school. Likewise, they die early in life because they cannot afford medical care either.

Survival tip number one: consume less, save more.

[quote]GumsMagoo wrote:

1. Buy guns and ammo.
  2. Build a home gym.
  4. Raise chickens.
  10. Buy guns and ammo.[/quote]
    Yuuup.

[quote]GumsMagoo wrote:

1. Buy guns and ammo.
  2. Build a home gym.
  4. Raise chickens.
  10. Buy guns and ammo.[/quote]

Sorry Gums, ya gotta come up with another fish. Trout are cold water fish. A pond in the backyard will get too hot for them.

[quote]on edge wrote:
GumsMagoo wrote:

1. Buy guns and ammo.
  2. Build a home gym.
  4. Raise chickens.
  10. Buy guns and ammo.

Sorry Gums, ya gotta come up with another fish. Trout are cold water fish. A pond in the backyard will get too hot for them.[/quote]

Shit. Any suggestions?

[quote]GumsMagoo wrote:
on edge wrote:
GumsMagoo wrote:

1. Buy guns and ammo.
  2. Build a home gym.
  4. Raise chickens.
  10. Buy guns and ammo.

Sorry Gums, ya gotta come up with another fish. Trout are cold water fish. A pond in the backyard will get too hot for them.

Shit. Any suggestions?[/quote]

Coppernose bluegill, perch, walleye if you can dig deep enough. Once I graduate college and have several years of working in the real world, I plan on building a decent sized pond/lake just because.

You may not want to eat carp given the choice, however they grow to monstrous porportions and can be found anywhere. You’re also doing the environment a favor.

[quote]GumsMagoo wrote:
on edge wrote:
GumsMagoo wrote:

1. Buy guns and ammo.
  2. Build a home gym.
  4. Raise chickens.
  10. Buy guns and ammo.

Shit. Any suggestions?[/quote]

catfish, bass, or carp. better get a smoker if you go this route. if it was spring fed or really deep you could do pan fish. sunfish, blue gill, or croppies. Awesome eating.

[quote]AynRandLuvr wrote:
Since no one here has ever had to live through a Depression, much less a once-a-century Great Depression, [/quote]

I would say therapy. if that doesn’t work; lexapro, welbutren, etc. if you don’t like meds you can try melatonin or st. johns wart.

I think a catfish pond would work the best. Hearty fish, can stand lots of different water conditions, eats anything and they can get fairly big. Plus, they taste really good.

As for the meds, maybe number 11 should be

Grow marijuana. Heck, grow enough and barter with it (unless you smoke it all !).

[quote]therover wrote:
I think a catfish pond would work the best. Hearty fish, can stand lots of different water conditions, eats anything and they can get fairly big. Plus, they taste really good.

Grow marijuana. Heck, grow enough and barter with it (unless you smoke it all !). [/quote]

meth is more lucrative.

I’ve just been re-reading Grapes of Wrath (Steinbeck) for, like, the 30th time.

I’ve been practicing sucking teat on the ol’ lady.

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:

You may not want to eat carp given the choice, however they grow to monstrous porportions and can be found anywhere. You’re also doing the environment a favor.[/quote]

re: Environment

How’s that? (not to hijack thread-- sorry)

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
therover wrote:

Grow marijuana. Heck, grow enough and barter with it (unless you smoke it all !).

meth is more lucrative.[/quote]

Meth takes chemistry and know how, weed takes sun, water and TLC. A pond is good but a local river or creek would be much better and offers a steady supply of fish, frogs and crawfish(yum)

meth is more lucrative.[/quote]

Zephead…I don’t want to blow myself up making the shit !

Plus, if I was doing that, all the shit happening with the Depression would have me going fucking crazy on the meth. Then again, I probably could make more money. At least I can sell it as an appetite depressant !!

With the pot though, I wouldn’t care much and laugh it off !!

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:

You may not want to eat carp given the choice, however they grow to monstrous porportions and can be found anywhere. You’re also doing the environment a favor.

re: Environment

How’s that? (not to hijack thread-- sorry)[/quote]

they root the ground in lakes and rivers up preventing plant matter from growing. Plant matter is typically the bottom of the food chain. Killing it off has disaterous effects on the ecosystem.