T Nation

How to Start?

I am just now getting into this sport, and have become obsessed. I have been reading through this Forum, but this is my first time posting ! I have followed advice that I read on here and got a coach who I work with once a week (the most I can afford). As of now I am working on building strength in the front squat, clean style dead lift, and OH press.

I work on the actual lifts and form once a week and and beginning to feel more comfortable with them. I was wondering if building strength before I switch my training to doing the actual lifts 3 to 4 times a week was a good approach to starting this sport. I am more then willing to change my approach as I have only been going at it for about a month. Just need some advice so I start off properly and progress accordingly.

I really think the first place to start is make sure you have the mobility to get into the proper positions. I assume you coach is qualified to teach the lifts so he should be able to tell you if you are deficient. That is the main thing that held me back for the first year or so.

You really need mobility more than flexibility. I was able to get more flexible by stretching but i was still unable to achieve the bottom position of the snatch. I do this before all my workouts and it fixed me in about a month. Do this as a warm up then just do what your coach says.

http://www.cathletics.com/gallery/video.php?videoID=74

Thanks ! The video is something I am going to start doing.

Do the bar work every other day and get coached once a week. Do not ignore your strength, do this after the bar work. Once you get more comfortable with what your doing you can start to lift more on your own. Just be a bit more patient at the start and you don't learn bad habits on your own. I read somewhere that it takes about 12x as long to unlearn something (blatent internet BS but you get what I mean). Hammer your FS up. There is nothing in this world that a 3x bw FS can not cure.

Koing

Thanks this seems like a good place to start. Do you have any suggestions on what kind of bar work I should be doing ?

snatch and clean and jerk bar work

I do this with the bar to help me with learning to pull under the bar better. I do a 3 position pull under with the bar. Then i do the same thing again with 40 kg's.

It would go like this 1-2-3 then take a short break and do it again. I do it about 3 times with just the bar then 1-2 times with 40 KG.

All snatch grip, focusing on getting "tall", fully extended, or what ever you coach might call it, then pulling with the arms at the very end.

1. Knees slightly bent then Explode Under The Bar (EUTB) with basically just shrug and arms. This has really helped me with pulling under especially when i put some weight on it.

2. Knees and back bent bar at mid thigh then EUTB.

3. Bar at knees then EUTB.

Two things are really important.

First is do this fast, speed is the name of the game.

THE SECOND AND MOST IMPORTANT IS TREAT EVERY REP LIKE IT IS AN OPENING ATTEMPT. DON'T CRUISE THROUGH YOUR WARMUPS THIS IS WHEN YOU ARE ESTABLISHING YOUR MOTOR PATTERNS. IF YOU ARE LAZY AND SLOPPY HERE YOU WILL BE EVEN MORE SLOPPY WHEN THE WEIGHTS GO UP.

BTW when i am doing just the bar i end up in a power position or almost straight legged for all three pulls. Once i add about 40 kg I catch position 1 in the bottom, 2 a bit higher and 3 is power snatched.

Thanks for the reply this seems just like what I need. I will be sure to get my reps in !

IMO I coach my lifters to pull fast under the bar and to never PS until they are profficient at Sn.

It doesn't matter if the bar is light, you got to pull fast under just the bar. It builds speed in to the lifters and gets them use to lifting fast all the time.

Koing

As a general rule that is probably good, but i sometimes cut my pull and dive under the bar. That's why i do this drill. This is one of the reasons I think you must have a coach to get you started and to reach a high level.

Although i don't intentionally PS it, i just catch it that high and ride it down.

I'd rather a lifter cut the pull a bit short and get under it fast then to pull high and ride it down slowly. But in an ideal world he'd pull the mofo out of it and be lightening fast under the bar :smiley:

I open up fast with light weights and I go down fast with light weights. I never catch the bar and ride down. I get under the bar fast regardless of the weight.

OMG that video is 4yrs old! wtf?! 77x3?! That isn't even a warm up now! lol That is the 4th lift I do with weights on the bar now...haven't lifted from the hang in ages!

But I appreciate the different aspects and thats why there is a need for a coach to be present for a beginner to focus on what the lifter needs work on. All of my lifter extend well but need to be faster under to hit the bigger weights.

Koing