How to Start Doing Dips?

My friend decided he wanted to start working out with me, and for his first arm day, I had him do dips, but the problem is that he can’t quite do 1 dip full-range down to at least 90 degrees. What should I have him do to get his dips up?

Pushups would do some good to strengthen the muscles associated with dips. Along with a healthy dose of those, he can do partials and/or negative only dips to get a feel for the movement and get his shoulders used to bearing his weight. If you have access to an assisted dip machine, get him on that or if you don’t, lightly hold his feet when he is dipping to get the same sort of effect.

Assisted dips.

Is there an assisted dip/pullup machine available?

weighted bench dips

close grip bench press

No, there is no assisted dip machine at my gym. We don’t always have time to work out together, so I can’t always help him with dipping. I already have him on close grip bench press, so hopefully he will get used to the motion soon. I liked the negatives and just getting him to the motion idea.

Dips work best with the ROM progress method.

I can’t really recommend dips as a triceps exercise in a split, though.

Bench dips. I think, i haven’t done em in a while, they have a shorter rom. All you need is two flat benches.

maybe he needs to lose weight too, not that its easy or anything.

have him do negatives and also do them with as much ROM as he can. if he can do half of one, he can work up to doing a full one and so on, i find strong lats help keep you stable too, get him shoulder press pushups and pullups.

negatives, partials, ROM progression basically
, stong lats help stabilize you, for those, shoulder press

edit: sorry for the double post i didnt see the other one.

[quote]drummerofgod89 wrote:
No, there is no assisted dip machine at my gym. We don’t always have time to work out together, so I can’t always help him with dipping. I already have him on close grip bench press, so hopefully he will get used to the motion soon. I liked the negatives and just getting him to the motion idea.
[/quote]

In this case, I’d have him doing bench dips. Easy to get into/out of position on his own, low risk of injury, and hard to screw up technique.

Have him do push-ups over bench dips. Then when he can do 15 push-ups easy have him do push-ups on chairs so he can go deeper. Once he can do 10 or more of those he should be ready to dip.

Going too deep on dips can fuck with some people’s shoulders.

Jump to the starting position and lower …repeat