T Nation

How to Squat?

I was squating the other day looking for a new pr, and I realize something and now I dont know how to squat…

In a full squat, I can push it in two ways:

-Using my quads.

-Or by pulling my knees back, feel harder in the hamstrings.

English isnt my forean languaje…so if need explain it better please tell me

Scroll down to “squat”

In a squat, at the bottom, the quads are in tension and the glutes and hamstrings are in compression. As you rise up the quads contract and the glutes and hamstrings go into tension. “Using your quads” and “pulling your knees back” are ultimately the same thing since the quad is still going into tension.

What I would say you should focus is driving your hip upwards and letting everything else take care of itself.

Keep the weight on the heels.

Look forward.

Go down far enough.

These are the basics of the squat.

thnks…for the responses. I will keep this in mind:

Look forward.

Go down far enough.

One last thing…

I some people lean forward and others keep their torso vertical or close to it, wich one is the best form. (on a back squat)

When you “break” your hips going down your torso is not going to be vertical. I think it’s almost anatomically in correct.

You won’t really be able to influence your torso position during a squat. Usually it depends on the bar placement for how far forward you lean. Lower bar placement will have you lean forward more, it will naturally happen for balance reasons.

at the top of the squat focus your head and eyes at some point or object a little above neutral

as you descend in the squat keep your eyes on that point so your eyes will shift upwards as you descend

doing this keeps the load balanced on my feet and prevents my ass from rising too fast when pushing up

your body will go where your eyes are looking !

[quote]ramirezrocha wrote:
thnks…for the responses. I will keep this in mind:

Look forward.

Go down far enough.

One last thing…

I some people lean forward and others keep their torso vertical or close to it, wich one is the best form. (on a back squat)
[/quote]

unless you’re using a really light weight i don’t see how you are going to keep your torso vertical except at lockout

the important thing is to keep the weight balanced at the center or preferably near the heels

similarly leaning forward excessively will shift the weight to your toes and put lots of stress on your knees

doing back squats is the same as sitting down on a chair, as you try to sit down your hips will go back which will cause your torso to deviate from vertical, it’s more important to keep your back straight throughout the movement

[quote]ramirezrocha wrote:
In a full squat, I can push it in two ways:

-Using my quads.

-Or by pulling my knees back, feel harder in the hamstrings.

[/quote]

Using a balance of both of these will allow you to move the most weight and get the most out of your squats. You’ll feel really strong and stable when you get it just right. When you do, pay close attention and mimic that technique every time.

I also like the adage of “spread the floor” with your feet when squatting. It helps me prevent my knees from caving in on the way up for heavy weight and keeps my feet locked to the ground to help push off from my heels.