How To Spot A Narcissist

Nine signs of Narcissistic Personality Disorder:

1. Narcissists refrain from introspection, rarely discussing memories, dreams or thoughts of self-analysis

2. Cause and effect are foreign ideas as nothing is ever a narcissist’s fault. Personal accountability is an unknown concept.

3. Narcissists are unable to relate the process of how they learned a lesson about themselves or the world at large.

4. Self-improvement rarely enters a narcissist’s realm as the narcissist already sees him or herself as perfect, superior and above most others. If efforts are taken, generally it is done for manipulation’s purpose: to get something he or she wants. At the same time, they are very good at pointing out everyone else’s faults, shortcomings or handicaps.

5. Narcissists do not share thoughts, feelings or dreams of their own. Rather if thoughts are shared, they quote others, rarely thinking for themselves. When asked to elaborate or explain how they came to such a conclusion, unless it’s scripted, they cannot. Ask where the opinion came from, few will source this information as to do so takes the spotlight from them and places it on another. If feelings are shared, they’ll respond with what is expected and they perceive to be the answer you want to hear based upon behavior they’ve seen in others. When pressed to elaborate, they cannot.

6. Narcissists consider themselves superior and never ask for collaboration in problem solving. Rather, they prefer to find someone else to do it and then minimize their contribution, taking the glory or ignoring the contribution all together.

7. When asked about their past, narcissists are vague and ambiguous. Childhood friends, siblings and others hold no importance unless they can be used to make the narcissist seem more important than he or she is.

8. Empathy is a foreign language. Narcissists are void of empathy and cannot “put the situation on the other foot to look at it from both sides.”

9. People are tools to narcissists, not human beings. A narcissist sees no problem with using people to attain his objectives and does not care if he destroys others in the process because his needs, objectives or agenda are the only thing that matters. He is superior and everyone else is here to serve him, the legend in his own mind. The God complex illustrates why physical contact rather than long-distance relationships are needed. This type of behavior surfaces through interaction with others, specifically family and friends. If you are not there, you won’t see it.

Wow.

Wow…

That was a flawless, picture-perfect description of my father. So accurate I got chills.

Not your point, I know, but this one, short article just smashed into my psyche like a fist to a face.

[quote]Chushin wrote:

[quote]Cortes wrote:
Wow.

Wow…

That was a flawless, picture-perfect description of my father. So accurate I got chills.

Not your point, I know, but this one, short article just smashed into my psyche like a fist to a face.

[/quote]

Sorry to hear that, my friend.

Narcissism is never fun…[/quote]

Man, I could tell you story after story.

[quote]Cortes wrote:
Wow.

Wow…

[/quote]

Well, there’s this too:

‘Almost everyone has some narcissistic traits, but being conceited, argumentative, or selfish sometimes (or even all the time) doesn’t amount to a personality disorder. Narcissistic Personality Disorder is a long-term pattern of abnormal thinking, feeling, and behavior in many different situations.’

[quote]Chushin wrote:

[quote]Cortes wrote:
Wow.

Wow…

[/quote]

Not even for the narcissist which is why it is all such a terrible waste.

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

1. Narcissists refrain from introspection, rarely discussing memories, dreams or thoughts of self-analysis

2. Cause and effect are foreign ideas as nothing is ever a narcissist’s fault. Personal accountability is an unknown concept.

3. Narcissists are unable to relate the process of how they learned a lesson about themselves or the world at large.

4. Self-improvement rarely enters a narcissist’s realm as the narcissist already sees him or herself as perfect, superior and above most others. If efforts are taken, generally it is done for manipulation’s purpose: to get something he or she wants. At the same time, they are very good at pointing out everyone else’s faults, shortcomings or handicaps.

5. Narcissists do not share thoughts, feelings or dreams of their own. Rather if thoughts are shared, they quote others, rarely thinking for themselves. When asked to elaborate or explain how they came to such a conclusion, unless it’s scripted, they cannot. Ask where the opinion came from, few will source this information as to do so takes the spotlight from them and places it on another. If feelings are shared, they’ll respond with what is expected and they perceive to be the answer you want to hear based upon behavior they’ve seen in others. When pressed to elaborate, they cannot.

6. Narcissists consider themselves superior and never ask for collaboration in problem solving. Rather, they prefer to find someone else to do it and then minimize their contribution, taking the glory or ignoring the contribution all together.

7. When asked about their past, narcissists are vague and ambiguous. Childhood friends, siblings and others hold no importance unless they can be used to make the narcissist seem more important than he or she is.

8. Empathy is a foreign language. Narcissists are void of empathy and cannot “put the situation on the other foot to look at it from both sides.”

9. People are tools to narcissists, not human beings. A narcissist sees no problem with using people to attain his objectives and does not care if he destroys others in the process because his needs, objectives or agenda are the only thing that matters. He is superior and everyone else is here to serve him, the legend in his own mind. The God complex illustrates why physical contact rather than long-distance relationships are needed. This type of behavior surfaces through interaction with others, specifically family and friends. If you are not there, you won’t see it.[/quote]

That is why I think Obama will blow off the debate preparations as he think’s himself already perfect.

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

9. People are tools to narcissists, not human beings. A narcissist sees no problem with using people to attain his objectives and does not care if he destroys others in the process because his needs, objectives or agenda are the only thing that matters. He is superior and everyone else is here to serve him, the legend in his own mind. The God complex illustrates why physical contact rather than long-distance relationships are needed. This type of behavior surfaces through interaction with others, specifically family and friends. If you are not there, you won’t see it.[/quote]

That is why I think Obama will blow off the debate preparations as he think’s himself already perfect. [/quote]

If he really is the person this article describes, and trust me, it DOES describe an actual personality disorder VERY accurately, then yes, I do not have the slightest trouble believing this to be a distinct possibility. Only, he really does not possess the ability to just “blow off” the debates. He could, however, not take his preparation as seriously as he needs to. Maybe I’m still saying what you’re saying, though.

[quote]Chushin wrote:

[quote]Cortes wrote:

[quote]Chushin wrote:

[quote]Cortes wrote:
Wow.

Wow…

[/quote]

[/quote]
We can take turns, then…[/quote]

You too?!

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]Chushin wrote:

[quote]Cortes wrote:
Wow.

Wow…

[/quote]

Not even for the narcissist which is why it is all such a terrible waste.[/quote]

This is so, so true.

[quote]Cortes wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]Chushin wrote:

[quote]Cortes wrote:
Wow.

Wow…

[/quote]

Not even for the narcissist which is why it is all such a terrible waste.[/quote]

This is so, so true. [/quote]

An egoist bumps into a former friend, a narcissist.
The egoist goes on and on, about how great his life is–how successful, beautiful, rich, insightful, etc.–he is. It is all about him.
FInally, he pauses, and says, “Well, enough about me. Let’s talk about you! What do YOU think about me?”

[quote]DrSkeptix wrote:

[quote]Cortes wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]Chushin wrote:

[quote]Cortes wrote:
Wow.

Wow…

[/quote]

This is so, so true. [/quote]

An egoist bumps into a former friend, a narcissist.
The egoist goes on and on, about how great his life is–how successful, beautiful, rich, insightful, etc.–he is. It is all about him.
FInally, he pauses, and says, “Well, enough about me. Let’s talk about you! What do YOU think about me?”[/quote]

I laughed. And then it struck me that any time we find something to be genuinely funny is because the joke and its punchline are a superconcentrated distillation of truth. Something that wouldn’t be said, but is what is really being said, nonetheless.

[quote]Chushin wrote:

[quote]Cortes wrote:

[quote]Chushin wrote:

[quote]Cortes wrote:

[quote]Chushin wrote:

[quote]Cortes wrote:
Wow.

Wow…

[/quote]

[/quote]
We can take turns, then…[/quote]

You too?!
[/quote]

Different diagnosis, same misery.[/quote]

You and I need to hang out again. Soon.

My baby and school do, too, so that works for me.

Okay, enough of the public lovefest. We’ll work it out elsewhere, haha.

You don’t need to spot a narcissist. They’ll point themselves out to you.

I would argue that Mayor Bloomberg has this syndrome too.