How to Sing Better?!

Hoping this doesn’t bite me in the ass, but I was wondering if there’s anybody out there in the Nation that knows techniques, aside from practice, to sing better. As they say practice doesn’t make perfect, perfect practice does. I play the guitar pretty well but can’t sing for shit. Plus, to be able to do kareoke and hold a tune when you’re half-drunk would be nice haha

Any tips? I think WS4JB plays to guitar as he mentioned that he played a set while sneaking away with 2 free footlongs of subway haha

Start drinking. I know it always makes me sing better!

I know there are instructional videos and CDs on singing better. I’m not sure if they are any good, but it might be worth looking into.

If that fails, like Doug said, start drinking. Works for me. :slight_smile:

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
I know there are instructional videos and CDs on singing better. I’m not sure if they are any good, but it might be worth looking into.

If that fails, like Doug said, start drinking. Works for me. :)[/quote]

Damn… that’s going to require a LOT of alcohol.

I came to this conclusion using the equation of:
Alcohol(M)>> instructional videos and CDs with the variable of (M) for money.

Yes. I actually wrote an equation.

Yes. I’m bored and NOW i need some good beer. Stone FTW

[quote]ahu2468 wrote:
Stone FTW[/quote]

Damn right! I think I’m going to pick up some Ruination now that you got me thinking about Stone.

[quote]ahu2468 wrote:
I play the guitar pretty well but can’t sing for shit.
[/quote]

Well, there’s no substitute for lessons from a good teacher if you want to learn any new skill or hobby. Find someone who can help you develop good habits. Unlearning bad habits is way harder than learning the right way to begin with. Even if it’s just for a few weeks, you’ll learn how to breath, breath control and support, posture, how open your throat should be, drills and exercises to improve range, etc, etc.

Yeah I’m finishing up a masters degree in singing next year. Breathe low and not with your chest, and your voice should be very free and not strained. It’s not really possible to learn how to sing from reading stuff, although it does help to know the theory, since you wouldn’t know whether you are doing it wrong. So, you should probably find a teacher if you really want to learn.

Relax your jaw and make a gah gah gah sound in the very back of your throat without the assistance of your tongue. This is your soft pallate. Learn to raise it and hold it at the top to sing like a bird.

I read somewhere that you can sing better if you lift first.

It’s pretty hard trying to explain how to sing in writing. But here’s a few pointers i learnt from my sister (she’s a professional jazz singer).

1. Breathe from your diaphragm, not your chest. The diaphragm is the soft spot below your sternum.

2. Practice projecting your voice accross the room, letting your breath carry the sound. Don’t be afraid to sing louder than neccisary. If you feel any strain in the back of your throat, you’re doing it wrong.

3. Practice humming a song before you sing it. Notice how your breathing changes while humming and the way your chest and throat seem to open up. Then, try to get that same feeling when you sing.

It would be a really good to take a few lessons just to get your technique down. Once you’ve learnt the basics you can always practice at home. Strengthening your “singing muscles” is just as important as technique. And as we all know, muscle adaptaion comes from increased stimulus, so regular practice is important.

I’ve never been able to sing I Believe in a Thing Called Love ever since I had strep for a few weeks. My voice has never fully recovered; it’s horrible. I always try to hit high notes and then, nothing comes out… just air. and I’m like… oh… yeah.

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
ahu2468 wrote:
Stone FTW

Damn right! I think I’m going to pick up some Ruination now that you got me thinking about Stone.[/quote]

Ruination is my favorite. I wish I could find some of it in Indiana.

[quote]brownab wrote:
AngryVader wrote:
ahu2468 wrote:
Stone FTW

Damn right! I think I’m going to pick up some Ruination now that you got me thinking about Stone.

Ruination is my favorite. I wish I could find some of it in Indiana.[/quote]

Not to rub it in or anything, but I’m drinking a Ruination as I type this. :slight_smile: