T Nation

How to Shut Up Bad Neighbors?

I’m putting this out here to get a sampling from a larger area…

I live upstairs in a 2 person house with my girlfriend and puppy.

Downstairs is a mother, boyfriend and her son. The mother and boyfriend are 100% white trash. She doesn’t work, he works part time at Jiffy Lube. I think that she is on some psyc. drugs or coke all the time; and he is typically drunk. So that obviously makes for an explosive mixture.

I’ve only been there since the middle of June and there have already been 6 nights where they are yelling, screaming and SLAMMING their doors all night (until about 5am when I get up for work), nights that they both stay in the driveway in their Van (that doesn’t move/run) and the cops have shown up a few times. Oh, and she called the cops on the kids on the other side of the fence b/c they threw a popsicle at our deck (they hate her, with good reason).

I’m not sure what to do; the thing that’s bugging me the most is the slamming of the doors; it shakes shit in our place, wakes us and makes our dog start barking.

I have loaned a door plane to the boyfriend to shave down the swollen doors so they don’t have to slam them…but i doubt he’s done that yet (its been a week).

What would you do in this situation?

Honestly, I’d move.

ugh; yeah… i might try and work that out w/ my landlord…but we’ve only been there since june 16th; not even 2mo. it was a PAIN to move in.

but that might have to happen.

You’re in Mass ? Does the son look like this ? If so, pay the mother’s a/c bill and things should chill out.

haha, what?

no he’s 15.

the only cool one in the bunch, mainly b/c he lifts at the same gym as me and isn’t a pain in my ass.

i bet you live in somerville.

Sen Say you are too much. Love the old spice avi by the way.

OP, these people are not going to change. If you don’t move now you will be stuck there for the winter. Don’t move to any apartment where the other people don’t work and have cars that don’t move. I have been living at my apt for four years and for the most part everything is good but now the people that moved in the basement blast their music and make me mental. You can’t make people have common sense.

If you see the kid at your gym, and are on cool terms with him, joking say something about how they occassionally keep you up at night, and you drag your ass at work all day. Maintain a good naturedness about you while you’re talking, but appeal to him, as if he needs to keep the ‘crazies’ in line.

S

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
If you see the kid at your gym, and are on cool terms with him, joking say something about how they occassionally keep you up at night, and you drag your ass at work all day. Maintain a good naturedness about you while you’re talking, but appeal to him, as if he needs to keep the ‘crazies’ in line.

S
[/quote]

yeah i tried that a little while ago; i think he’s pretty embarrassed of them…with good reason.

i’m going to call the landlord and let them know what i think of these people and all the stuff thats going on. the landlords are in CA; so they don’t know that they have trash living downstairs.

i’d rather them be evicted then me have to lift a finger.

You are a mechanical engineer - You must make a decent living. Screw apt. dwelling - Buy a house.

1. Buy an Afflcition t-shirt and Tapout shorts.

2. Shave head, or cut hair into one of those “faux hawks”.

3. Go to neighbors house, wearing Affliction t-shirt and Tapout shorts and tell them to be quiet, give them a really tough guy sneer for effect.

4. Neighbors will be scared shitless because they think a real MMA fighter lives upstairs.

5. Enjoy quiet time with girlfriend!

[quote]skaz05 wrote:

3. Go to neighbors house, wearing Affliction t-shirt and Tapout shorts and tell them to be quiet, give them a really tough guy sneer for effect.

4. Neighbors will be scared shitless because they think a real MMA fighter lives upstairs.

5. Enjoy quiet time with girlfriend![/quote]

All that shit would cost you 2 bills easy. Just go out there in your underwear and act more crazy than them. Twitch a lot, say most of your words 3 to 4 times over, blink one eye randomly, and then urinate on yourself.

You got to fight fire with fire man.

I saw this similar situation the other time I slept over at my brother’s apartment because we didn’t have power in my house.

It was crazy, it was about 4:00 a.m. and suddenly I woke up to some loud shouting. I first thought someone was partying downstairs but it got louder and louder until it reached a point of doors slamming and a woman crying. This lasted about 45 minutes but it was enough for my brother not to be able to sleep anymore since he wakes up at 6:00 a.m. to go to work.

He had told me about this occurring maybe 3 months ago and hadn’t occur back again until that night. What he did was complain to the landlord in person and by sending her an e-mail. My brother also suggested to her that he should be moved to another apartment. He is planning on moving somewhere else since the contract expires in October. Good luck.

[quote]skaz05 wrote:

5. Enjoy quiet time with girlfriend![/quote]

This is good advice.

If you find them backsliding a few weeks after your MMA visit…buy a policeman’s uniform and follow skaz’s advice substituting the policeman’s uniform for the t-shirt and shorts and skip the “faux hawk”. They’ll be scared shitless because they think a real police officer lives upstairs.

If after a couple of weeks they prove to have no respect for the law…get a cowboy hat, chaps, big belt buckle, lariat, stetson hat and a saddle…nobody’s gonna make a peep with a real cowboy living above them.

Start looking now for an astronaut’s outift in case the 1-2-3 combo of MMA Fighter, Police Officer and Cowboy doesn’t whip these Bad Neighbors into shape.

Few ideas:

1. buy a treadmill and start training for a marathon in heavy work boots. The thumping of you running outta get on their nerves.

2. Complain to the city about the van. Most cities have a law about non running vehicles parked outside. This may backfire on you and cause them to spend more time inside at night.

3. Setup a radio on a timer to turn on an hour after you and your girl are gone and turn off before you get home and blast some techno or rap music all day. Keep the fuckers up all day so they are to tired at night to fight.

4. Get a bottle of whiskey and get piss ass wasted, just before you pass out decide to take a bath but don’t turn the water off. Sure your bathroom will be a mess but their whole place will be flooded out.

5. Throw bug bombs in the window and gas the bastards.

6. Call social services and say you think the kid is being abused.

7. Flaming bags of dog shit on the door step?

I think this should do the trick.

Try hitting them.

[quote]Makavali wrote:
Try hitting them.[/quote]

You mean like shadow boxing?

[quote]Jetric9 wrote:
Makavali wrote:
Try hitting them.

You mean like shadow boxing?[/quote]

Yeah, why not?

Put it in her butt.