How to Setup High Frequency Training?

If you want to follow John Meadows’s way of programing higher frequency, follow these guidelines.

1. Keep your normal volume and intensity(RPE) for training each bodypart once a week.

2. Add a second day for each group of bodyparts. This is additional volume.

3. On the second day, perform less taxing exercises at a lower intensity(RPE = 7-8).

4. Arms will remain at once a week.

So you can use a push/pull/legs setup with an arm day in between. The second day is optional. So you may omit it some weeks depending on how you feel or you can omit the second leg day altogether if you want to focus on upper body.

In Mountaindog 2.0 programs, he cycles high frequency for certain bodyparts in 4 week blocks. So chest/shoulders may be 3× per week while the rest remain 1×.

1 Like

Thanks a ton.
I will definitly sit down and read a little more up on this matter.

I would strongly suggest that you don’t overcomplicate this. Do your normal volume that has worked for you and add in extra according to your ability to recover at a lower intensity on optional days.

2 Likes

That’s fine what I would do is push, pull, legs, push, pull. Since you have experience start with 12 sets/weekly for larger muscle groups 10 sets/weekly for arms.

Push: chest dominant
Pull: horizontal focus
Legs
Push: shoulder dominant
Pull: vertical focus

Something like 8 sets on the focus muscle 4 sets for the other. First exercise can be strength 6-10 reps second 8-12, 12-15. Add sets weekly then deload after 4-6 weeks.

why not do a regular split where you hit a muscle 2x/week. Choose a bodypart you want to focus on, pick an exercise and hit it for 3-4 sets everytime you step in the gym?

I hear you, man. I think it really just depends on your mentality as to whether or not high frequency will work for you. Personally, I really enjoyed CT’s Strength Circuit protocol (on his site) and am going to try his Built for Battle protocol here soon. I just like that circuit style training, but it’s not for everyone and certainly not for every goal.