T Nation

How to Save my Knees

Hey guys i was just curious too see if anyone could give me any pointers on how to ensure that my knees are safe when training. I have patella tendonitis in my right knee. As i am just getting over it i want to make sure it won’t happen again. As i hurt it over training, too many sprints, squats not enough rest…

Should i do a low bar square? I’ve heard it is better on the knees.

Well my philosophy as of recently has been to exclude anything that caused pain. I used to try to be hard ass and grind out my sets through the pain but that really didn’t work out so well. So yeah anything that hurts don’t do. Maybe find out what hurts and why and try to fix. Pretty straight forward.

I had the same issue and it lingered for years, preventing from doing all I wanted in the gym. The thing that helped is a patellar strap. I wore it when I got back to training legs hard and it really helped. Now my knees are fine so I don’t use it, but I still use neoprene knee sleeves (Tommy Kono sleeves) to keep the knees warm and they really help. I keep the sleeves for an hour after my training too.

When I feel the knees flaring out, I put some tiger balm and then the neoprene sleeves and sleep with them.

X2 on the Tommy Kono sleeves.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:
I had the same issue and it lingered for years, preventing from doing all I wanted in the gym. The thing that helped is a patellar strap. I wore it when I got back to training legs hard and it really helped. Now my knees are fine so I don’t use it, but I still use neoprene knee sleeves (Tommy Kono sleeves) to keep the knees warm and they really help. I keep the sleeves for an hour after my training too.

When I feel the knees flaring out, I put some tiger balm and then the neoprene sleeves and sleep with them.[/quote]

thanks for the info, i got a strap and i have been using it for light cardio, i will be sure to look in to sleeves! thanks for your help!

[quote]A-rod wrote:
Well my philosophy as of recently has been to exclude anything that caused pain. I used to try to be hard ass and grind out my sets through the pain but that really didn’t work out so well. So yeah anything that hurts don’t do. Maybe find out what hurts and why and try to fix. Pretty straight forward.[/quote]

That is true, i will be very careful with what i do.

[quote]jake_richardson wrote:
As i hurt it over training, too many sprints, squats not enough rest… [/quote]
Don’t overlook the simple answer: Follow a well-designed program, stick to it, and don’t do stuff that you know is no good for you.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]jake_richardson wrote:
As i hurt it over training, too many sprints, squats not enough rest… [/quote]
Don’t overlook the simple answer: Follow a well-designed program, stick to it, and don’t do stuff that you know is no good for you.[/quote]

Yup, ive had this for a while now, just waiting for it to completely heal.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

When I feel the knees flaring out, I put some tiger balm and then the neoprene sleeves and sleep with them.[/quote]

Also my physio guy said to strength my glutes and hams, if i did some light barbell hip thrusts and went to the GHD for some sets, would that apply any sort of pressure to my knee?