T Nation

How to Refinish Rust DB's

Found a few great pairs of DB’s online from CL.
But they look pretty rusty. Guy says he has had them in storage for years.

Is it possible to refnish them?
What would I have to do?

sand, prime, paint?

Take 'em to get sandblasted, shouldn’t cost you more than $15 - $20 (usually the minimum charge).

If you want to paint 'em, get a really good metal primer and finish with a hammered enamel, that stuff is really chip resistant and should last you a while.

so get them sandblasted?

Then prime them myself?

then paint them myself?

[quote]MNguns wrote:
so get them sandblasted?

Then prime them myself?

then paint them myself?[/quote]

Yup, that will give a durable finish, banging/dropping the weights won’t be a problem.

I’ve had numerous metal fixtures, rails, patio furniture, etc. painted like this over the years and they hold up well.

Make sure to hit the bare metal with a bunch of acetone or other solvent before you apply primer.

With weights at around $1/pound these days, it’s worth it.

What should I do about the handles?
Redo them as well?

Who do I need ton contact about having these DB’s sandblasted?
What do you think they would charge?

[quote]MNguns wrote:
Who do I need ton contact about having these DB’s sandblasted?
What do you think they would charge?[/quote]

You could also pick up rust converter at any hardware store. Basically sand them down to just surface rust. I wire brush and some heavy steel wool will do it. Hose them down really well and let them dry.

Then spray it down with the rust converter and let it sit overnight. The converter deactivates the rust and turns it inert. Then you can prime and paint over it. Primer seems like a waste of time to me. Weights are gonna get banged around, not hung on a wall.

rustoleum sells something called rust reformer
just spray over the rust and then paint over
one can should do and its about 3 dollars a can

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

An angle grinder with a coarse wire wheel to remove the paint and scale, then a finer brush to give them a fine brush finish.

Don’t even bother with paint. You can’t buy paint good enough to stand up to the abuse that they recieve. The fine brush will do just fine.

This is all of course predicated upon whether or not you have ever used an angle grinder, cause they will remove flesh.

Wear your safety glasses too.

Sandblast them, or wirewheel them like skyzyks said, then look into Dura Kote. It is a paint-on finish, which is usually used on firearms, and will bond to the metal.

Dpending on size of DBs and how long you want to wait, you can also throw them in the oven at about 200 and bake them to shorten the cure time(normally takes like 8+ hours IIRC).

I’ve never actually used the stuff, but it really is that wasy. A guy I work with does gun finishing ont he side, custom work. He did an AR-15 in desert camo Hello Kitty.

Sounds gay, but it’s kinda cool cause its different and it takes you a second to figure out what your looking at. He also recently did some work for MagPul, spraying a custom pattern on some of their furniture, to be put on display at SHOT show(I think). He uses a cheap airgun, but I believe you can use a brush.

So I picked up the DB’s this am. $175 for pair of 60’s ,55’s , 45’s , 35’s , 30’s , 25’s , 20’s and a 3 tier rack. Not a bad deal! The DB’s used to belong to an old gym. They are pretty rusty. So I think Ilm gonna have to take them to get sand blasted then paint them with some black enamel. The rack is sruty as well. I think I will just do my best to sand it down myself and try and prime / paint it myself. If it doesn’t hold up I’l take it to get sand blasted as well.

Ever consider something like this? This way you probably wouldn’t ever have to worry about them ever again.

POR-15® is a high-tech, high performance rust-preventive coating designed for application directly on rusted or seasoned metal surfaces. It dries to an incredible rock-hard, non-porous finish that won’t chip, crack, or peel, and it prevents rust from recurring by protecting metal from further exposure to moisture.