How to Recover From Strained Lower Back?

It’s been about a month now, suspect I strained my erector spinae to the right of my spine doing deadlifts. Felt it right away, but stupidly tried to finish the set. Next morning could barely bend over to put my socks on and had to get someone to help me get out of my car when I got to work. It got better after a few days and wasn’t really bothering me too much.

Stupidly (I’m not very bright sometimes) I tried to do squats the next week and felt the pain in my lower back after a few light reps. Since then I’ve stopped squats and deadlifts but continue to workout as I normally would. Nothing I do really aggravates the pain unless I try to lift something up bent over. I can bend over without pain, but if I lift anything over 30lbs bent over, it hurts. That pain has been pretty consistent and doesn’t seem to be getting any better.

Any tips on what I can do?

Thanks.

If the cause of pain is muscular, then it should get better with time.

The most important thing is to avoid any movement pattern that cause pain/discomfort, i.e. learn to bend at hip/knee while keeping the lumbar spine neutral during everyday activities

NSAIDs could also help with inflammation-related issues

but since its already been over a month i would advice you to see a doctor and get a real diagnosis to eliminate the possibility of a spine injury

Hey, it sounds like you had the same issue I had. I got the same pains on my right side/lower back after deadlifting. I found that if I (between sets) use just a barbell bar and bend over, lift from ground to right below my knee, it helps ease the pain. I’ve been doing this for about 2 weeks and no pain at all (especially in the morning!). Goodluck with recovery!

[quote]Barbell89 wrote:
Hey, it sounds like you had the same issue I had. I got the same pains on my right side/lower back after deadlifting. I found that if I (between sets) use just a barbell bar and bend over, lift from ground to right below my knee, it helps ease the pain. I’ve been doing this for about 2 weeks and no pain at all (especially in the morning!). Goodluck with recovery![/quote]

that might actually be doing you more harm than good. Stretching your lower back is like picking a scab. Feels good, but won’t do you any favours long term.

If it’s working for you then fair enough, but you might actually be making things much, much worse.