T Nation

How to Recover Faster?

Are there any other ways than:

Consume more protein
Eat correctly (carbs before + after workouts, etc…)
stretch
sleep

Ice baths, sauna, massages, foam rolling…

Also, if your schedule allows, don’t do anything you don’t have to. If you can lift and then just relax all day (of course after stretching, foam rolling, hot shower, etc) then do so.

[quote]xiao wrote:
Are there any other ways than:

Consume more protein
Eat correctly (carbs before + after workouts, etc…)
stretch
sleep[/quote]

Eat correctly and eat more.

Morning walks seem to reduce DOMS for me, which may not equate to quicker recovery but it helps with general walking around after leg days.

ANACONDA Protocol :stuck_out_tongue:

If all the things you listed are PERFECT, and you’re not training for the olympics or in an extremely intense training cycle (3 times a day, etc), your recovery should be set. Deep tissue massages however, are an addition that one can utilize if recovery is still off.

Well one way to recover faster that everybody here seems oblivious to, is to train more often until you adapt to a higher frequency of that stress.

Eat correctly. Post workout I usually have two or three bananas just because I have found it to really reduce muscle soreness the day after, but increased potassium intake should be pretty obvious for most.

[quote]mr popular wrote:
Well one way to recover faster that everybody here seems oblivious to, is to train more often until you adapt to a higher frequency of that stress.[/quote]

That is very true, and most people definitely don’t think about trying this. I have set as many as 3 PRs on squat/DL variations 3 days in a row, because my body has adapted to ridiculously high frequency, with lower volume.

Thanks for all the comments and regarding the train more so your saying if im feeling a bit sore when my next workout is just take all the suggestions above and in my post and just keep on working because the body will be adapted to it in time?

[quote]mr popular wrote:
Well one way to recover faster that everybody here seems oblivious to, is to train more often until you adapt to a higher frequency of that stress.[/quote]
Very True. Normally I train 3 days a week. I just got off training 5 consecutive, and it feels just fine, i think due to all those other times i crammed in and responsed positively to the frequent stress.

10 hours sleep

Oh something else I forgot to mention, reduce volume per bodypart per session.

If you take this approach, there will be many times when you are training a sore muscle group, but as long as you get stronger, who cares if it hurts a little?

I used to “overtrain” all the time even when bulking, and I had no idea why. I ate lots of protein and worked hard and had difficulty progressing. I would lift hard for a week and get a soar throat and feel like shit quite often. Also I would get insane DOMS many a time. Now I’ve completely revamped my diet, training, and supplementation and I feel great and recover very well!

I don’t PERSONALLY really find eating to be correlated with recovery in the strictest sense that more food = better recovery. Flame me all you want, but I’m in a calorie restricted state (diet) and am recovering quite fine. Yes, there are protein requirements and there is of course a floor to how many calories you can squeak by with and still recover well. It could have to do with the fact that I don’t have crazy high volume, or the fact that I am following the anaconda protocol, but anyways, I’m lifting really hard and heavy, eating less, and making strength gains, so recovery must me doing well - for me at least.

I second all the stuff about sleep. Z12, Magnesium and lights out for 8-9 hrs.

Also I think all the recommendations about stretching, foam rolling, massage – any recommendation related to soft tissue quality in general is legit.

In addition to supplements like those in anaconda, supplements that help with not only inflammation, but the immune system in general help the body to be able to handle training fairly well, like:

• Vit D
  • Medicinal mushroom extract (Cordyceps, Reishi, maitake, Shiitake, blazei, etc)
  • Zinc & selenium
  • Probiotic Bacteria
  • Beta-sitosterol
  • Fish oil
  • antioxidants - low doses divided throughout the day like 250 mg 2X daily of extended release vitamin C

and adaptogens could fall into this category as well, but I personally would make sure I was taking the majority of the above before considering them:

• Ginseng (american and panax)
  • Rhodiola Rosea, etc

I missed this prior to posting the above, but I also what to say that these strategies I have also found to be effective:

[quote]hungry4more wrote:

[quote]mr popular wrote:

That is very true, and most people definitely don’t think about trying this. I have set as many as 3 PRs on squat/DL variations 3 days in a row, because my body has adapted to ridiculously high frequency, with lower volume. [/quote]

[quote]hungry4more wrote: Oh something else I forgot to mention, reduce volume per bodypart per session.

If you take this approach, there will be many times when you are training a sore muscle group, but as long as you get stronger, who cares if it hurts a little?[/quote]