How To Read Nutritional Label?

I’m looking to lose weight, so what should i look for on a nutritional label? Least sat. fat? least trans fat?

i guess that goes into my next question, what’s good fat and what bad fat? are all calories bad?

[quote]gotoheel wrote:
I’m looking to lose weight, so what should i look for on a nutritional label? Least sat. fat? least trans fat?

i guess that goes into my next question, what’s good fat and what bad fat? are all calories bad? [/quote]

Look for a low overall fat content, a high protein content, lower carb and or sugar content.

D

Ingredients you can pronounce.

Throw out anything that contains the word “hydrogenated”.

Low/no refined sugar

Good source of fiber

No white flour

Best way to lose weight is to not buy food that has labels, hah! Buy fresh fruits and veggies, or plain frozen ones, whole grains, eggs, nuts, seeds, beans (again plain with the exception of spices), low-fat dairy (no butter, just milk and cheeses), oil made from identifiable foods (olive/flax/sunflower…) and fresh or frozen plain lean meats. If you eat these foods balanced out you hardly have to worry about their composition.

Most diet foods are loaded with sodium to cover up the fact that they taste like shit. So when you do go by labels, watch the sodium. 1800mg is a good daily amount, prepackaged foods, especially frozen meals, usually have 500-900mg a serving. That’s bad.
Don’t be afraid of all words you can’t pronounce, some are okay.
Check how many servings there really is, you might be suprised that something you thought had one serving actually has 3.

Check this article out…

dieselcrew.com/articles/summersixpack.pdf#
search=%22todd%20wilson%20summer%20six%20pack%22

One of my favorite articles on diet, not that complicated and discusses more from a “which foods are good and bad” standpoint then macro and micronutrients, which can be confusing for a beginner.