How to Prepare for DL Comp

I entered a deadlifting event on Sunday, and I was wondering what the procedure is on what to eat/supplements to take, sleep, and training leading up to that time would be.

[quote]T234 wrote:
I entered a deadlifting event on Sunday, and I was wondering what the procedure is on what to eat/supplements to take, sleep, and training leading up to that time would be.
[/quote]

If its this weekend I would sleep as much as possible, eat more than enough, and do no training at all except for mobility work.

Wow so no training up until then at all eh? I was planning and just skipping leg work this week.

[quote]T234 wrote:
Wow so no training up until then at all eh? I was planning and just skipping leg work this week. [/quote]

You’ll really give you muscles and you CNS time to recover from all your work up to the comp.

If you really want to do the best that you can, I’d take the whole week off.

Good luck man, what are you looking to pull?

Thanks man!

It’s just a competition for everyone in my gym, but I still want to give my 110% and I will have serious competition. I’m more into bodybuilding than powerlifting, but I still like to lift max’s on deadlifts, and I pulled 460 on Saturday, so I am hoping to do 465.

Careful with te eating. Are ther weight classes and how is your weight compared to where you want to be.
Also, don’t eat too much or anything you’re not used to the 24 hours before the meet. Pulling deads with gas sucks.

You can lift light early in the week, but for a Saturday meet, I stop anything more than flexibility ater Tuesday.

I wouldn’t change supplements or anything right before the meet. If you aren’t 100% sure how they will effect you it is risky.

One of the best things you can do (easier to say than do) is to forget about it as much as you can until the day. Worrying about details, attempts etc causes stress and you want to go in relaxed.

Like everyone else said, stop lifting anything heavy.

Eat enough, but watch your weight class.

Stay with bland foods so you don’t blow a gasket on the platform.

But definately work your flexibility and if you’ve got a foam roller stay active with that.

It doesn’t sound like weight class is an issue, so I would just eat normal for the week.

Personally, I don’t do well taking a whole week off. I don’t come back stronger the first day back.

I would avoid hitting the legs hard this week, maybe just a few easy sets to keep everything loose, and avoid doing any maximal effort upper body work, but I would still work the rest of the body (don’t overdo your back), and then take Friday off. Eat for the competition just like you eat for going to the gym. I definitely wouldn’t introduce anything new to the diet/supplements at this point.

Since it isn’t a full PL meet, just treat it like a DL day where you are trying to hit a new max.

OK if anyone is interested, here’s what happened.

I had 3 attempts so I started off with 450. Really really easy. Then I went to 460 (previous PR). Again really easy. I was already pretty suprised so I tried 470…again pretty easy!

I came in 4th place, the top guy lifting a bit over 500. I honestly think I could have done 485 though. It was just so suprising to be that much over my PR. Oh well, live and learn…next time I will start with my PR instead of wasting 2 sets.

I ate 3 eggs, 2 slices turkey bacon 2 slices cheese, 2 slices of bread with peanut butter before along with Power Drive & Spike. My energy levels were perfect.

Awesome!!

Congratulations man. The rest before the comp was probably jsut what you needed to push yourself over the edge. no doubt atmosphere helped too.

Glad it went well for you.

Nice job on the PR’s.

Those were pretty small increases in weight. The conventional school of thought would be to hit an opening lift that you could normally triple. Go for a PR on the second attempt, and if you hit that, then let it all hang out on your third lift.

For you that might have meant 425, 460, 485, or something similar. Overall, it sounds like you did well, and learned a little in the process. Well done.