T Nation

How to Piss Off a Liberal

[quote]ZEB wrote:
jlesk68 wrote:
ZEB wrote:
jlesk68 wrote:
This is my favorite one:

You love to talk crap on a message board. Especially when you don’t have to prove any of it.

Go get em man…go go go go …LOL

Oh man, another Bush lover whose feelings get hurt…

Feelings getting hurt? Oh come on…

It’s just so easy for you (or anyone) to post that crap and you have no proof that any of it’s true.

You can hate on the guy all you want-That’s what forums seem to be for. But it would be better if you actually substantiated all of your crap…or even some of it.

Just makes for a better discussion. No?
[/quote]

I don’t hate the guy, I voted for him for his firm term. I do like tearing down the altars of the Bush worshippers, and I’m a conservative, not the blind type that believes that Bush is a B.A. Christian and all that crap.

Try this also:

Ask them they can be the champions for the ‘lower class’ but think the ‘lower class’ are a bunch of stupid unwashed idiots.

Modern liberals are populist out of the right side of their mouth and elitist out of the left. And not one has been able to explain how.

jlesk68 wrote:

“I don’t hate the guy, I voted for him for his firm term. I do like tearing down the altars of the Bush worshippers, and I’m a conservative, not the blind type that believes that Bush is a B.A. Christian and all that crap.”

No, you didn’t.

No, you aren’t

JeffR

Why don’t you quit trying to think of ways to “piss people off”, eat your turkey, watch some football, and enjoy the day with your family?

Does anyone else think this is a massive asshole move going to a family function looking to pick a political fight?

Whn the condervatives in my family start blathering on about god-knows-what, I excuse myself and go enjoy some time with my nieces while they’re still young.

Or, you could start a fight and spray bad feelings all over the room.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
Young hardheaded socialist + old WASP staunch Republicans = No fun on the holidays. So I keep the trap shut.[/quote]

I have a cousin that mirrors your political philosiphy. You can imagine what those conversations were like. We came to the conclusion, after many heated debates, that niether of us were gonna make drastic changes in each others ideoligy. We get along somewhat better now.

I’ve found that It’s much better to not discuss politics with friends and family unless they bring it up first. Then if they react badly to opinions exressed by me, I can always remind them that they broached the subject and let them decide if they want to drop it.

Or it’ll end up into a fistfight. It has happened :slight_smile:

[quote]harris447 wrote:
Why don’t you quit trying to think of ways to “piss people off”, eat your turkey, watch some football, and enjoy the day with your family?

Does anyone else think this is a massive asshole move going to a family function looking to pick a political fight?

Whn the condervatives in my family start blathering on about god-knows-what, I excuse myself and go enjoy some time with my nieces while they’re still young.

Or, you could start a fight and spray bad feelings all over the room.[/quote]

This from the guy who shit all over sjo’s thread about good things happening in Afghanistan.

[quote]BostonBarrister wrote:
slimjim wrote:
BostonBarrister wrote:
Start a conversation this way:

“The biggest problem with our strategy at the outset of the Iraqi War was that we didn’t kill enough of the enemy - especially the high-ranking and elite forces - but allowed them to retreat to form the core of one part of the terrorist insurgency.”

Is this supposed to be a knock on liberals?

Not at all. It’s supposed to start a frustrating argument. On the one hand, they love to talk about (real and imagined) Iraq mistakes. On the other, the framing of the question, if you can keep the conversation focused on the attempt of the administration to minimize casualties and humanely let people go, will be frustrating. As will an admission that in war, it’s generally a good idea to kill people who will fight against you rather than letting them run away.

I imagine this would turn in to quite a conversation, based on the examples Rockscar used above for what his in-laws tend to say.[/quote]

That probably would start a huge debate, I tend to stay away from political arguments at the dinner table, especially since the last dinner argument when it was discovered that my dad sent a generous donation to Bush’s last campaign fund…talk about arguments of the century.

Your inlaws sound like my aunts, uncles, cousins and grandma…are we related? I was gonna use this if I saw them this year:

One of the guys in my platoon found a “9/11 commemorative” zippo style lighter in an Iraqi house last year. The lighter had a picture of the twin towers with a plane crashing into one, and a picture of Osama Bin Laden. Yeah, and the Iraqis didn’t support terrorism. Kiss my ass.

Good luck with the inlaws.

DD

My bad harris…it wasn’t you, it was the other one, fahd

[quote]slimjim wrote:
harris447 wrote:
Why don’t you quit trying to think of ways to “piss people off”, eat your turkey, watch some football, and enjoy the day with your family?

Does anyone else think this is a massive asshole move going to a family function looking to pick a political fight?

Whn the condervatives in my family start blathering on about god-knows-what, I excuse myself and go enjoy some time with my nieces while they’re still young.

Or, you could start a fight and spray bad feelings all over the room.

This from the guy who shit all over sjo’s thread about good things happening in Afghanistan.
[/quote]

No kidding. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

[quote]JeffR wrote:
Try this:

Please give me a hour by hour account of your day November 3rd, 2004.

How did you feel?

Who did you call?

What excuses did you make?

Ask them if they contributed to the kerry campaign?

How does it feel knowing that the majority of Americans voted for W?

I hope it makes for a happy Thanksgiving.

JeffR[/quote]

Oh! Oh! Ask them about the overwelming military support for Bush. Example:

November '04: G 2/5 in Ramadi, Iraq (dangerous place!) Voted by absentee ballot. I estimate that over 95% of the company voted for Bush. Now I have no actual proof or statistics, but really, we all hated Kerry’s guts.

[quote]harris447 wrote:
Why don’t you quit trying to think of ways to “piss people off”, eat your turkey, watch some football, and enjoy the day with your family?

Does anyone else think this is a massive asshole move going to a family function looking to pick a political fight?

Whn the condervatives in my family start blathering on about god-knows-what, I excuse myself and go enjoy some time with my nieces while they’re still young.

Or, you could start a fight and spray bad feelings all over the room.[/quote]

Normally yes, it would be an asshole move, but my in-laws have been dishing the shit to me and I’ve been quiet and HAVE shut up, but no longer will I take it.

They attack my beliefs constantly and I’m going to give it right back ten-fold. I’ve sat back and numerous times said “I won’t get into it with you”… and their response is “Yeah that’s because you have nothing to say.” And my 3 and 6 year old daughters are witness to this.

Tell me…Isn’t it an asshole move also to attack your own son in laws beliefs while he visits??

Best insult ever.

[quote]slimjim wrote:
That probably would start a huge debate, I tend to stay away from political arguments at the dinner table, especially since the last dinner argument when it was discovered that my dad sent a generous donation to Bush’s last campaign fund…talk about arguments of the century.[/quote]

Your dad is a smart man. It’s ok. If your 20 years old and not voting liberal, you have no heart. If your 40 years old and still voting liberal, you have no mind. Start making some more money, leave ideology and enter reality, and we will welcome you to the dark side…

[quote]slimjim wrote:
BostonBarrister wrote:
slimjim wrote:
BostonBarrister wrote:
Start a conversation this way:

“The biggest problem with our strategy at the outset of the Iraqi War was that we didn’t kill enough of the enemy - especially the high-ranking and elite forces - but allowed them to retreat to form the core of one part of the terrorist insurgency.”

Is this supposed to be a knock on liberals?

Not at all. It’s supposed to start a frustrating argument. On the one hand, they love to talk about (real and imagined) Iraq mistakes. On the other, the framing of the question, if you can keep the conversation focused on the attempt of the administration to minimize casualties and humanely let people go, will be frustrating. As will an admission that in war, it’s generally a good idea to kill people who will fight against you rather than letting them run away.

I imagine this would turn in to quite a conversation, based on the examples Rockscar used above for what his in-laws tend to say.

That probably would start a huge debate, I tend to stay away from political arguments at the dinner table, especially since the last dinner argument when it was discovered that my dad sent a generous donation to Bush’s last campaign fund…talk about arguments of the century.[/quote]

I like your Dad.

[quote]Rockscar wrote:
harris447 wrote:
Why don’t you quit trying to think of ways to “piss people off”, eat your turkey, watch some football, and enjoy the day with your family?

Does anyone else think this is a massive asshole move going to a family function looking to pick a political fight?

Whn the condervatives in my family start blathering on about god-knows-what, I excuse myself and go enjoy some time with my nieces while they’re still young.

Or, you could start a fight and spray bad feelings all over the room.

Normally yes, it would be an asshole move, but my in-laws have been dishing the shit to me and I’ve been quiet and HAVE shut up, but no longer will I take it.

They attack my beliefs constantly and I’m going to give it right back ten-fold. I’ve sat back and numerous times said “I won’t get into it with you”… and their response is “Yeah that’s because you have nothing to say.” And my 3 and 6 year old daughters are witness to this.

Tell me…Isn’t it an asshole move also to attack your own son in laws beliefs while he visits??[/quote]

It is, absolutely. I’m certainly not taking their side.

But, in this case…be the bigger man.

Save the arguments for here.

If you truly can’t stand these people, then have T’giving at home with your kids (who I’m sure you would rather be with, anyway.)

Perhaps ‘asshole’ was too strong; if it was, I apologize.

But, in my humble opinion…let the babies have their bottle.

[quote]harris447 wrote:
Rockscar wrote:
harris447 wrote:
Why don’t you quit trying to think of ways to “piss people off”, eat your turkey, watch some football, and enjoy the day with your family?

Does anyone else think this is a massive asshole move going to a family function looking to pick a political fight?

Whn the condervatives in my family start blathering on about god-knows-what, I excuse myself and go enjoy some time with my nieces while they’re still young.

Or, you could start a fight and spray bad feelings all over the room.

Normally yes, it would be an asshole move, but my in-laws have been dishing the shit to me and I’ve been quiet and HAVE shut up, but no longer will I take it.

They attack my beliefs constantly and I’m going to give it right back ten-fold. I’ve sat back and numerous times said “I won’t get into it with you”… and their response is “Yeah that’s because you have nothing to say.” And my 3 and 6 year old daughters are witness to this.

Tell me…Isn’t it an asshole move also to attack your own son in laws beliefs while he visits??

It is, absolutely. I’m certainly not taking their side.

But, in this case…be the bigger man.

Save the arguments for here.

If you truly can’t stand these people, then have T’giving at home with your kids (who I’m sure you would rather be with, anyway.)

Perhaps ‘asshole’ was too strong; if it was, I apologize.

But, in my humble opinion…let the babies have their bottle.
[/quote]

I disagree. life is far too short to sit back and not say anything when people repeatedly attack you about your beliefs. i say give it back like you get it. just try to have a discussion and not get angry but if they continue to push and prod you, i don’t think you have any reason to just take it. Fuck that. Give it back. her parents should be mature enough to take it and if they’re not then hey, fuck them.

[quote]randman wrote:
slimjim wrote:
That probably would start a huge debate, I tend to stay away from political arguments at the dinner table, especially since the last dinner argument when it was discovered that my dad sent a generous donation to Bush’s last campaign fund…talk about arguments of the century.

Your dad is a smart man. It’s ok. If your 20 years old and not voting liberal, you have no heart. If your 40 years old and still voting liberal, you have no mind. [/quote]

Or you stop giving a shit about social injustices. I think this is not a smart remark…hate to tread over this, but it was only 51% - 49%. And there are lots of people who are over 40 and still liberal.

Its nice how a little bit of money makes people stop giving a damn about trying to progress. Ever think the government kind of likes it like that?

And Rockscar…ha man I still would stay away from the debates. I have lots of buddies who are conservatives, and we get along best when we don’t talk about politics. Although, being as they are my buddies, I call them fascists, they call me a commi, and we take it with a grain of salt. But families of spouses are a bit different! Stay sober and don’t bother arguing…So I guess there’s no liquor for you this Thanksgiving? :wink:

[quote]JeffR wrote:
jlesk68 wrote:

“I don’t hate the guy, I voted for him for his firm term. I do like tearing down the altars of the Bush worshippers, and I’m a conservative, not the blind type that believes that Bush is a B.A. Christian and all that crap.”

No, you didn’t.

No, you aren’t

JeffR

[/quote]

I know who I voted for, and who I am, so who cares what you think…

[quote]jlesk68 wrote:
ZEB wrote:
jlesk68 wrote:
ZEB wrote:
jlesk68 wrote:
This is my favorite one:

You love to talk crap on a message board. Especially when you don’t have to prove any of it.

Go get em man…go go go go …LOL

Oh man, another Bush lover whose feelings get hurt…

Feelings getting hurt? Oh come on…

It’s just so easy for you (or anyone) to post that crap and you have no proof that any of it’s true.

You can hate on the guy all you want-That’s what forums seem to be for. But it would be better if you actually substantiated all of your crap…or even some of it.

Just makes for a better discussion. No?

I don’t hate the guy, I voted for him for his firm term. I do like tearing down the altars of the Bush worshippers, and I’m a conservative, not the blind type that believes that Bush is a B.A. Christian and all that crap.[/quote]

Well, I have some problems with him too. You might have seen them in another post. But to accuse him of drug use and other things. That just seems sort of low.

I know you did it for fun and frolic, still…