How to Pick a Mattress

I’ve been sleeping on this crappy foam tempurpedic-like knockoff mattress for a couple years and it’s not exactly promoting restful sleep. Time to ditch it for something better. Are there considerations for athletes versus Joe 24-pack? The question is how you figure out what kind is right for you. I’m not sure that laying down on one for 5 minutes in a store when you’re wide awake helps to make the right choice either. Anyone find the holy grail of matresses or can at least make a recommendation? Chiro’s, MD’s, or any other of you mensa inductees out there who knows a little something about anything? Sounds retarded, but since sleep consumes 1/3 of your life, it’s probably at least thread-worthy.

Sleep number you will not be sorry.

The one with the hottest chick on it.

Sleep number. Well worth the $.

I would look into latex mattresses. As comfortable as tempurpedic (I think better), is cooler and doesn’t have the flame-retardant chemicals that all other mattresses now have by law (unless you smoke in bed, this is a non-issue). Only downside is you need a prescription to get one. This should not be a problem though; we just got one for our 4 year old son. His pediatrician was happy to do it after I explained it all.

I was doing a little research back when I was buying my mattress, trying to figure out which mattress was the best. In the end it seems like most sleep experts say that everyone is different and you really have to figure out what mattress is best for you. There’s a lot of things that determine what mattress you should get (posture, position you sleep in, preexisting medical conditions, individual preferences).

A mattress may be great for one person then someone else sleeps on it and think it’s crap. This is the problem me and my gf have. She hates my mattress and says it’s too hard, she sleeps on her side and wants a really soft mattress that doesn’t hurt her shoulder. I sleep on my stomach and her really soft mattress damn near suffocates me, but I challenged her to an arm wrestling match and I won so we sleep on a hard mattress. So in the end it really comes down to what you feel is the most comfortable.

Whatever you do, don’t buy one just because it’s cheap. I made that mistake in college and will never do it again. As you said, you spend more time in bed than any other place. Buy a great mattress, they last a long time, and will positively affect almost every other facet of your life.

I used to work in a factory that built mattresses and the more coils the firmer the mattress. A 720 was like sleeping on the floor. The other coil numbers if I remember correctly were 612, 540 and a 460.

Picking a mattress is like picking out new shoes, you just know when you’ve found the right one, might not be the most expensive either. My 2c.

I have bought a decently expensive spring pillowtop (sealy), a cheapo “memory foam”, and then a more expensive memory foam (sealy) though not one of the “origional” Tempurpedic brand ones. The pillowtop was ok for like 2-3 years and then it started to degrade quickly. I think they told us it would last 10, yea, it lasts 10 as it it does not disintigrate into nothing in 10 years, the last year I slept on it was the worst sleep I have ever gotten, that I remembered.

The cheapo memory foam was boughten on overstock for like $400 bucks. It was great again for like a year or two, but towards the end it kinda just felt like “foam” instead of memory foam.

The one I am currently sleeping on was the firmest memory foam sealy makes, got it on sale for 1200 but hopefully it lasts 5 years. I like it firm and this meets all the expectations i have for a mattress. One thing though it is hot so if you don’t typically have AC in the summer it can get uncomfortable. However, the winter is nice.

Now all that being said, the best matresses I have ever slept on are the sleep numbers. When we stay in a hotel, the high end ones have california king sleep numbers (request that when you check in) The bed is HUGE and you can set yours and the wife or GF can set thiers. Also they adjust at the touch of a button, so if for some reason you feel like a little harder or softer, just push the button and away you go. The only downside is the Cali King will set you back almost $5K

V

Yeah, whatever you do, stay the hell away from a pillow top. Those things are pieces of shit. The top will have an indentation within a couple years (or less). I blew $800 on one 10 years ago and will never do that again.

If you like the feel of a pillow top, you can always get a separate top for it and swap it out once it degrades.

Sleep Number. Tried a knock-off brand and it sucked, so stick with the real thing. Hubby’s super picky about mattresses (sports injuries and the like) and even though he’s not completely thrilled about this one, it’s the closest we’ve gotten to him being happy. Me… I’m easy. I can take hard or soft mattresses and not have issues, but then I’m on the small side and haven’t any joint issues.

Finally bought a new mattress about 2 years ago. Went to a store that sells mattresses, and, mattresses. Not a furniture store. High-school buddy worked there and gave us a decent discount, but still spent about $1500. Worth every penny. When you consider that your sleep is one of the main factors in recovery, and therefore your progress, this is not somewhere you want to cheap out.

Oh, and make sure you get a good pillow and good sheets.

[quote]karma wrote:
Sleep Number. [/quote]

X4 or is it X5 by now.

Sleep number gives you the firmness you like, you pump it to where it’s good for you. That’s it. I believe in the airbed concept so much, not only do my wife and I have one but so do my two boys. We also have a baby girl and as soon as she’s ready for a bed she’s getting one.

[quote]karma wrote:
Sleep Number. Tried a knock-off brand and it sucked, so stick with the real thing. Hubby’s super picky about mattresses (sports injuries and the like) and even though he’s not completely thrilled about this one, it’s the closest we’ve gotten to him being happy. Me… I’m easy. I can take hard or soft mattresses and not have issues, but then I’m on the small side and haven’t any joint issues.[/quote]

Do you have a memory foam topper on yours? If not it might be worth a try for hubby. Feather mattress pad is good too. I actually liked that even better but it got too peed on by kids sleeping with us and had to go.

[quote]
Oh, and make sure you get a good pillow and good sheets. [/quote]

While we are on the topic, what are people’s recommendations for pillows? I’ve tried numerous brands that you can get in Target and stores like that, and I have yet to find anything that I like. I’d imagine that this is a highly individual thing, but I’d be interested in hearing any pillow recs.

[quote]karma wrote:
Me… I’m easy. I can take hard or soft… I’m on the small side and haven’t any joint issues…[/quote]

I think I’m in love

[quote]blackhand wrote:
Finally bought a new mattress about 2 years ago. Went to a store that sells mattresses, and, mattresses. Not a furniture store. High-school buddy worked there and gave us a decent discount, but still spent about $1500. Worth every penny. When you consider that your sleep is one of the main factors in recovery, and therefore your progress, this is not somewhere you want to cheap out.

Oh, and make sure you get a good pillow and good sheets. [/quote]

Not to hijack the thread, but on this related note, any recommendations for good sheets and pillows?

[quote]Tyler23 wrote:
I would look into latex mattresses. As comfortable as tempurpedic (I think better), is cooler and doesn’t have the flame-retardant chemicals that all other mattresses now have by law (unless you smoke in bed, this is a non-issue). Only downside is you need a prescription to get one. This should not be a problem though; we just got one for our 4 year old son. His pediatrician was happy to do it after I explained it all. [/quote]

That’s interesting, wish I would’ve known this about two weeks ago.

I finally bit the bullet two weeks back and sprung for a Tempur-Pedic DeluxeBed. Easily the best mattress I’ve ever had and the best my body has felt for long long while, but I am curious how these latex mattresses stack up, especially price-wise.

[quote]on edge wrote:

[quote]karma wrote:
Sleep Number. [/quote]

X4 or is it X5 by now.

Sleep number gives you the firmness you like, you pump it to where it’s good for you. That’s it. I believe in the airbed concept so much, not only do my wife and I have one but so do my two boys. We also have a baby girl and as soon as she’s ready for a bed she’s getting one.[/quote]

X6

Have had mine for 5 years now and it is still like brand new. The wife likes a lower, softer setting and I am a higher, much firmer setting. The best thing about it is when ever you want you can change the setting and viola, new mattress!

[quote]on edge wrote:

[quote]karma wrote:
Sleep Number. Tried a knock-off brand and it sucked, so stick with the real thing. Hubby’s super picky about mattresses (sports injuries and the like) and even though he’s not completely thrilled about this one, it’s the closest we’ve gotten to him being happy. Me… I’m easy. I can take hard or soft mattresses and not have issues, but then I’m on the small side and haven’t any joint issues.[/quote]

Do you have a memory foam topper on yours? If not it might be worth a try for hubby. Feather mattress pad is good too. I actually liked that even better but it got too peed on by kids sleeping with us and had to go.[/quote]
Nope, we have the I8. He didn’t like the firmness of the memory foam (even when the air setting was the same or lowered than his “number”). He liked the I8 in the store because it had a more feather-bed-like topper, wrapped him up more. But once we got our’s delivered, he swears it’s not the same bed. IDK He’s a side/belly sleeper and when he’s on his side, his hips and shoulders kill him. I might look into an additional feather topper and see if he likes that at all. It’s frustrating to spend 3k on a bed that he loved in the store but is just “ok” with at home.

[quote]AndrewG909 wrote:

[quote]karma wrote:
Me… I’m easy. I can take hard or soft… I’m on the small side and haven’t any joint issues…[/quote]

I think I’m in love
[/quote]
LOL Whatcha think the hubby loves about me? Easy to please and flexible, too… :wink: