T Nation

How to Perform These Ab Exercises

Hi,
can anyone give me instructions (or lead me to instructions) on how to perform the following ab exercises:

1. planches
  2. suitcase lifts
  3. static holds

thanks,

[quote]Lorne wrote:
Hi,
can anyone give me instructions (or lead me to instructions) on how to perform the following ab exercises:

1. planches
  2. suitcase lifts
  3. static holds

thanks,[/quote]

Sorry none of those previous ones worked. Let me just explain, planks (I assume what you mean, never heard of planches before). They are the core move where you are on your toes and knees, google it and you’ll see what I mean. Suitcase lifts?? um could also be known as the one arm deadlift, google that. The last one is too vague or I’m just not familiar with it.

[quote]PF_88 wrote:
Lorne wrote:
Hi,

1. planches
  2. suitcase lifts
  3. static holds

thanks,

Sorry none of those previous ones worked. Let me just explain, planks (I assume what you mean, never heard of planches before). They are the core move where you are on your toes and knees, google it and you’ll see what I mean. Suitcase lifts?? um could also be known as the one arm deadlift, google that. The last one is too vague or I’m just not familiar with it.[/quote]

planches are an exercise commonly used by gymnasts, you basically hold a push up position… but with your legs in the air

[quote]Lorne wrote:
Hi,

1. planches
  2. suitcase lifts
  3. static holds

thanks,[/quote]

You’d want to be pretty good to be doing a planche. Start off in a handstand with your knees tucked into your forarms. Gradually extend your legs. You’d probably want to practice daily.

[quote]Lorne wrote:
Hi,

1. planches
  2. suitcase lifts
  3. static holds

thanks,[/quote]

Like was said, planches are a gymnastics exercise where you hold your body parallel to the ground, supported only on your hands. It is an extremely challenging exercise, unless you’re an elite level gymnast, acrobat, or possibly breakdancer.

That being said, I really wouldn’t classify planches as an ab exercise. Sure your abs must engage to support the position, but they are hardly the primary muscle involved.

Perhaps you’re thinking of planks. If so, a plank is basically like holding the top position of a push-up for time. It can also be done on the forearms instead of the hands.

Suit case lifts, I assume you mean suitcase deadlifts, are basically a one handed deadlift. Place a loaded barbell one one side of your body (you should be perpendicular to the bar). Squat down, grab the bar with your hand, and stand back up. You should attempt to keep your torso as upright as possible (meaning don’t lean to the loaded side).

Static holds can apply to lots of exercises. They’re not so much an exercise in themselves but instead a method of performing exercises. So, you’ll need to be a little more specific if you want more information on this.

Good training,

Sentoguy

Suitcase lifts:
-Start with back on the ground and legs about 6 inches off the ground. Like the bottom of leg lifts or flutter kick position.
-In one motion bring your knees to your chest and crunch your upper body off the ground. Finished position should look similar to a V-up but with knees bent. Only your butt should be on the ground.

Static holds are what have been described as planks. They can be done front(with both forearms and toes touching) or on each side (with only one forearm and foot touching). I’ve done back planks too where the contact points are hands and the back of the heels, and you try to keep your body a straight line from your shoulders all the way to your feet.

At least that’s what I’ve always called those. Hope my descriptions at least got the picture across. I’m no writer :-P.

[quote]Fezzik wrote:
Suitcase lifts:
-Start with back on the ground and legs about 6 inches off the ground. Like the bottom of leg lifts or flutter kick position.
-In one motion bring your knees to your chest and crunch your upper body off the ground. Finished position should look similar to a V-up but with knees bent. Only your butt should be on the ground.
[/quote]

Hmmm…why is that exercise called a suitcase lift? What does crunching yourself up like that have to do with suitcases?

Not saying that you’re wrong, I’ve just never heard of that exercise being called a suitcase lift before.

Hah, I actually have no idea. It’s just what my college strength coach called them. He’s a complete nut, so it could seriously just be bollocks.

But anyway, like someone else said, what you’d imagine a suitcase lift to be is some DL variation, but that’s not really an ab exercise. I guess I’m stumped.

[quote]Fezzik wrote:
Hah, I actually have no idea. It’s just what my college strength coach called them. He’s a complete nut, so it could seriously just be bollocks.

But anyway, like someone else said, what you’d imagine a suitcase lift to be is some DL variation, but that’s not really an ab exercise. I guess I’m stumped.[/quote]

Suitcase lifts are probably dumbbell side bends. More like briefcase lifts.

[quote]Fezzik wrote:

But anyway, like someone else said, what you’d imagine a suitcase lift to be is some DL variation, but that’s not really an ab exercise. I guess I’m stumped.[/quote]

Suitcase deadlifts are a very challenging exercise for the whole core. They are not an AB isolation exercise, granted. To say they are not an ab (or the broader - core) exercise is inaccurate.