How To Open A Keg?

[quote]deanosumo wrote:
SWR-1240 wrote:
You could just buy a full one and never tap it.

That could be frustrating, especially on a hot summer day…[/quote]

Was going to, wouldn’t frustrate me cause I don’t drink (that often)… but i really just stumbled upon the keg.

I was walking by, saw that it was empty, and asked if I could have it…

they asked me why

“uuuuhhhhhhh, science experiment”.

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
OOOOOOOOH gotcha, thanks a bunch

So how do I seal this fucker back up?

Sodering gun?

[/quote]

LOL well you do what you did to remove it just in reverse. slide the tap unit back in, turn then replace ring. if filling with sand etc full you will need to cut the shaft down on the tap unit but dont cut it above the dimples that hold the spring or youll have to friggin dick with pressing the spring and bending it to keep the ball in place like I did my first one LOL

or you can buy a plug like those used for boat but bigger. Measure and get the right size. its a rubber deal that has a nut bolt and two washers. as you tighten the nut it squashes the rubber spreading it to seal Tight.

Phill

GO to this link it shows you step by step how to do it.

Dude, taking a keg that someone is going to get stuck paying the deposit on is not the way to get a keg.

Give it back to the person you took it from so they don’t get hosed for $200.

Go ask a distibutor for an old damaged one.

[quote]petrainer wrote:
Dude, taking a keg that someone is going to get stuck paying the deposit on is not the way to get a keg.

[/quote]

$200?

Geez we only have to a $20 deposit in Cali.

Yes we got into ours with a screwdriver. Then to recork it again got a little fixture from lowe’s that would be hard to describe, but it’s a screw on cork type of thing that you’ll find in the plumbing section.

[quote]Panik (akajbodzi wrote:
petrainer wrote:

$200?

Geez we only have to a $20 deposit in Cali.[/quote]

Thats what im saying $15 and talking to the Bud men I know as of Jan 1st went up to $40

Phill

this might help

[quote]derek wrote:
swivel wrote:
lostinthought wrote:
Ok stupid question but kind of on topic…In the strong mam competitions when they’re tossing those kegs over a wall…what do the kegs have in them? I though they sounded empty when they hit the ground…?

i assume they’re empty. an empty keg weighs about 30lbs, almost twice as much as an olympic shot

The keg toss for hieght kegs were 60 lbs. each. I have no idea what would be in them that didn’t slosh around becuase they did sound empty but they had 30 or so pounds added.[/quote]

damn…that’s depressing.

[quote]mrcat wrote:
this might help

Thanks! That’s the exact site I was looking for…

[quote]Phill wrote:
Panik (akajbodzi wrote:
petrainer wrote:

$200?

Thats what im saying $15 and talking to the Bud men I know as of Jan 1st went up to $40

Phill
[/quote]

I am afraid the retail price of a keg is more on the order of $200, used a bit less. The deposit is just a fraction of the cost and the company that rented it out might get stuck with the charge. Cheap kegs can be found at scrap metal dealers, though. Often a bit beat up and not holding pressure, but that hardly a problem for your purposes.

[quote]TQB wrote:
Phill wrote:
Panik (akajbodzi wrote:
petrainer wrote:

$200?

Phill

I am afraid the retail price of a keg is more on the order of $200, used a bit less. The deposit is just a fraction of the cost and the company that rented it out might get stuck with the charge. Cheap kegs can be found at scrap metal dealers, though. Often a bit beat up and not holding pressure, but that hardly a problem for your purposes.
[/quote]

i got mine in mass. for $10. the store charges $40 deposit for customers, but what the distributor gives the store is $10 per keg. i know the guys @ the store so they let me have it for that. how the heck can a keg cost $200 ??? if they were somehow worth that much distributors would be paying alot more than 10 bucks to get them back.

[quote]swivel wrote:
TQB wrote:
Phill wrote:
Panik (akajbodzi wrote:
petrainer wrote:

$200?

Phill

i got mine in mass. for $10. the store charges $40 deposit for customers, but what the distributor gives the store is $10 per keg. i know the guys @ the store so they let me have it for that. how the heck can a keg cost $200 ??? if they were somehow worth that much distributors would be paying alot more than 10 bucks to get them back.[/quote]

Exactly got mine from budwieser for $15 not damaged. they must have golden kegs in Belgium man.

Phill

[quote]swivel wrote:

i got mine in mass. for $10. the store charges $40 deposit for customers, but what the distributor gives the store is $10 per keg. i know the guys @ the store so they let me have it for that. how the heck can a keg cost $200 ??? if they were somehow worth that much distributors would be paying alot more than 10 bucks to get them back.[/quote]

Sorry, 200 is about right. Brewing as a business involves a lot of financing of retail costs by the brewery, and the deposit paid by the retailer may well be 10-30 bucks. If you are ordering a keg from a small microbrewery, they may ask $100 in deposit. There has been cases of breweries suing hapless “owners”.

[quote]TQB wrote:
swivel wrote:

i got mine in mass. for $10. the store charges $40 deposit for customers, but what the distributor gives the store is $10 per keg. i know the guys @ the store so they let me have it for that. how the heck can a keg cost $200 ??? if they were somehow worth that much distributors would be paying alot more than 10 bucks to get them back.

Sorry, 200 is about right. Brewing as a business involves a lot of financing of retail costs by the brewery, and the deposit paid by the retailer may well be 10-30 bucks. If you are ordering a keg from a small microbrewery, they may ask $100 in deposit. There has been cases of breweries suing hapless “owners”.[/quote]

I like beer

I bought 6 kegs and all of them cost me $10.00 each from the sports bar I bought them from. Whether or not thier true value is or was $200.00 is irrelevant since I was asked to pay $10.00 each. I guess like everything else, thier worth whatever someone will pay.

By the way, yes, plumbing supply house or depatment in hardware store. Buy a 2" plug with a wing nut.

[quote]TQB wrote:
Sorry, 200 is about right. Brewing as a business involves a lot of financing of retail costs by the brewery, and the deposit paid by the retailer may well be 10-30 bucks. If you are ordering a keg from a small microbrewery, they may ask $100 in deposit. There has been cases of breweries suing hapless “owners”.[/quote]

i guess it’s a different game over here. the store i go to has piles of empty kegs and they have to pester the distributor to come take them away.

[quote]swivel wrote:

how the heck can a keg cost $200 ??? if they were somehow worth that much distributors would be paying alot more than 10 bucks to get them back.[/quote]

My experience is based on lab chemicals that get distributed in kegs or keg-typ containers, but $200 is a bit pricey for the keg, but it’s all about volume, if you sell $400M in beer, allot $1M for replacing your broken, damaged, and worn out kegs you won’t flip out if an extra 100 or so kegs ‘disappear’ every year.

It’s only really an issue if your business is very small or tens of thousands of kegs start disappearing regularly.

Ever buy a soft drink at a fast food joint or a movie theater? Do you think you’re paying $3.50 for the corn syrup and carbonated water or the styrofoam packaging?

[quote]swivel wrote:
derek wrote:
swivel wrote:
lostinthought wrote:
Ok stupid question but kind of on topic…In the strong mam competitions when they’re tossing those kegs over a wall…what do the kegs have in them? I though they sounded empty when they hit the ground…?

i assume they’re empty. an empty keg weighs about 30lbs, almost twice as much as an olympic shot

The keg toss for hieght kegs were 60 lbs. each. I have no idea what would be in them that didn’t slosh around becuase they did sound empty but they had 30 or so pounds added.

damn…that’s depressing.[/quote]

Depressing how?

[quote]malonetd wrote:
swivel wrote:
derek wrote:
swivel wrote:
lostinthought wrote:

The keg toss for hieght kegs were 60 lbs. each. I have no idea what would be in them that didn’t slosh around becuase they did sound empty but they had 30 or so pounds added.

damn…that’s depressing.

Depressing how?[/quote]

That’s what I was wondering.