How To Open A Keg?

I took a keg from some party this weekend. It’s empty and my question is how do I open that sucker up to put some water/sand in it?

I know there are like “tutorials” somewhere but I can’t find any…

With your teeth man.

Naw, shit, I don’t know.

Simple look at the tap innards, where the tap goes there is a ring pop the ring off with small screw driver etc. turn the tap to line the two teeth up with the slots and pull out. Make sure to let ther pressure out first. Fill and replace.

If filling up all the way you will need to hack saw the tap pole to go back in.

Phill

I usually just wedge a screwdriver in the top to hold the ball down. Then just pour water in it. It takes awhile to fill it up but it is the easiest way that I have found.

[quote]c5eric wrote:
I usually just wedge a screwdriver in the top to hold the ball down. Then just pour water in it. It takes awhile to fill it up but it is the easiest way that I have found.

[/quote]

Same here. It takes awhile but if you position your hose the right way, you can just leave it and check on it every few min or so. Have fun

I use a dentist tool (small hook at the end) and pry that snap-ring out. A small screwdricer will work as was already stated.

Make sure the pressure is released via the check-valve first!

Then buy a 2" “stopper” with a wingnut to hold everything in.

Ok stupid question but kind of on topic…In the strong mam competitions when they’re tossing those kegs over a wall…what do the kegs have in them? I though they sounded empty when they hit the ground…?

[quote]lostinthought wrote:
Ok stupid question but kind of on topic…In the strong mam competitions when they’re tossing those kegs over a wall…what do the kegs have in them? I though they sounded empty when they hit the ground…? [/quote]

Some are empty depends on the weight of the event . After that no telling anything to bring the weight up to what they want depends on the event and the coordinator I imagine more than likely sand or cement.

Phill

[quote]lostinthought wrote:
Ok stupid question but kind of on topic…In the strong mam competitions when they’re tossing those kegs over a wall…what do the kegs have in them? I though they sounded empty when they hit the ground…? [/quote]

i assume they’re empty. an empty keg weighs about 30lbs, almost twice as much as an olympic shot

I’d like to make sure you saw the advice about letting the pressure out of the keg before popping off the ring. A friend of mine has two very expensive and fake teeth after attempting to open a keg. Imagine standing over top of one of those lawn rockets at lift off. Comical, but I wouldn’t wish it on someone else.

[quote]swivel wrote:
lostinthought wrote:
Ok stupid question but kind of on topic…In the strong mam competitions when they’re tossing those kegs over a wall…what do the kegs have in them? I though they sounded empty when they hit the ground…?

i assume they’re empty. an empty keg weighs about 30lbs, almost twice as much as an olympic shot
[/quote]

The keg toss for hieght kegs were 60 lbs. each. I have no idea what would be in them that didn’t slosh around becuase they did sound empty but they had 30 or so pounds added.

http://www.physics.arizona.edu/~workman/homebrew/Sanke.html

[quote]derek wrote:
swivel wrote:
lostinthought wrote:

The keg toss for hieght kegs were 60 lbs. each. I have no idea what would be in them that didn’t slosh around becuase they did sound empty but they had 30 or so pounds added.[/quote]

I just thought the kegs themselves were made of different/heavier or thicker metal?

You could just buy a full one and never tap it.

[quote]SWR-1240 wrote:
derek wrote:
swivel wrote:
lostinthought wrote:

The keg toss for hieght kegs were 60 lbs. each. I have no idea what would be in them that didn’t slosh around becuase they did sound empty but they had 30 or so pounds added.

I just thought the kegs themselves were made of different/heavier or thicker metal?[/quote]

I was thinking they poured in some kind of urethane and rolled it around until it set thereby having a balanced yet heavier keg.

[quote]scottiscool wrote:
I’d like to make sure you saw the advice about letting the pressure out of the keg before popping off the ring. A friend of mine has two very expensive and fake teeth after attempting to open a keg. Imagine standing over top of one of those lawn rockets at lift off. Comical, but I wouldn’t wish it on someone else.[/quote]

Did the same shit on my first one heard the hiss jumped back and BOOM frugger shot like a missle mine were from a bar so nitrogen charged LOL. needless to say #2 I remembered to depressurize

Phill

[quote]SWR-1240 wrote:
You could just buy a full one and never tap it.[/quote]

That could be frustrating, especially on a hot summer day…

i’m a retard and still dont fucking get it… ok i see the little black ring… so i just punch a hole in that fucker make sure it depressurizes then peel it off?

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
i’m a retard and still dont fucking get it… ok i see the little black ring… so i just punch a hole in that fucker make sure it depressurizes then peel it off?[/quote]

NO!!! little ball just press on it you can use your finger if you want.

Then to remaove the VERY top justb under the lip there is a ring that you have to remove a little keeper ring take it off then tiwst it to line the teeth up with the little grooves and pull that sucker out.

Phill

OOOOOOOOH gotcha, thanks a bunch

So how do I seal this fucker back up?

Sodering gun?