How to Make Sloppy Joes Healthy?

boy it tastes good. but most recipes call for a lot of ketchup and even brown sugar. being a person who doesn’t drain the fats from ground beef, the insulin raising sugars inst the best thing to have.

anyone made healthier version out there?

i never worry too much about a little bbq, so my recipe would be
1 lb burger, onions, celery, 1 can tomato sauce, and bbq to taste.
cook the burger, then add the celery and onions, then tomato sauce, then add bbq sauce in slowly, then let simmer a little bit until celery softens up. I then like to either eat by itself with a side salad, or put it on a whole grain bun, with a side salad.

btw a little bbq with burger, provided that you don’t eat too much, will not raise insulin too much because protein plus fats stunt the insulin increase.

I buy the sloppy joe seasoning which doesn’t have sugar, add tomato paste and water, just like eating burger with a tomato IMO.

[quote]Heracles_rocks wrote:
btw a little bbq with burger, provided that you don’t eat too much, will not raise insulin too much because protein plus fats stunt the insulin increase. [/quote]

I’ve been thinking about this myself recently.
I haven’t researched it at any length but I was considering the P+F stunting the insulin response of any ingested carbs. I guess this goes back to the P+F+C thread that was up the other day - something as simple as white bread with butter is obviously not going to do you any favours but I am curious about the effect of a meal consisting of say, plenty of fibrous veggies, chicken breast (or even thigh), brown rice/sweet potato and maybe a couple tbsps of PB or EVOO.

I usually just grow a set.

[quote]El Sonido wrote:
Heracles_rocks wrote:
btw a little bbq with burger, provided that you don’t eat too much, will not raise insulin too much because protein plus fats stunt the insulin increase.

I’ve been thinking about this myself recently.
I haven’t researched it at any length but I was considering the P+F stunting the insulin response of any ingested carbs. I guess this goes back to the P+F+C thread that was up the other day - something as simple as white bread with butter is obviously not going to do you any favours but I am curious about the effect of a meal consisting of say, plenty of fibrous veggies, chicken breast (or even thigh), brown rice/sweet potato and maybe a couple tbsps of PB or EVOO. [/quote]

No matter what you eat, your insulin will go up some depending on how much you eat, ever eat too much in one sitting, say at thanksgiving. That huge volume of food will spike your insulin sharply. Same thing goes for sugary foods, that is why for the most part post workout you want to have simple sugars to spike insulin so there is more nutrient uptake. When you eat most fats, they slow down the digestion in the stomach, causing a slower release of nutrients which should keep the insulin spike lower.

With a balanced meal that includes the 3 macros in fairly even levals will keep the insulin spike lower. You want the insulin to have a gentle rolling hill type appearance throughout the day, not the jagged rocky mountains of really high peaks and low valleys.

I don’t eat the sloppy joes with bread. I put the meat sauce on cauliflower, broccoli or vegetables

I like my food heavily seasoned, you have been warned:

1 lb Grass Fed Beef
2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 Cups Tomato Sauce
1 Medium Onion
2 Tablespoons Steak Seasoning (No Salt)
1 Tablespoon Celtic Sea Salt
2 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
1/4 Cup Splenda

I served this last year at a BBQ on the 4th July weekend; no complaints.

Good luck.