T Nation

How To Make a Program?

First off, one of my primary goals is to increase my vertical but i would also like to get stronger (upper body wise and obviously lower body too). I want to make a program that consists of bodyweight exercises on some days and free weights on others. Would this work or would it be better to do, for example, 3 weeks of bodyweight exercises then 3 weeks of free weights? i want to split it up something like this:

Mon- Bodyweight(Upper)
Tues-Bodyweight(Lower and Mid)
Wedns- Rest
Thurs-Bodyweight+Free weights (full Body or lower only for free weights upper bodyweight or vice versa)
Fri-Rest
Sat- Go to gym where i can use machines and free weights (no squat rack at home or spotter so i can squat at gym)
Sun-??Rest or what?

This is something i was planning on doing starting monday, but im not sure. Help is much appreciated.

bump

Best exercise for verts is the power clean, so I’ve read. Executing them properly is paramount so I would advise against self-teaching and self-correcting.

Why can’t you just incorporate a couple of bodyweight excercises into a weight program? What kind of BW excercises are we talking about (pull-ups, chins, dips, push-ups, squat jumps, etc.)? I don’t see the point in a 3 week program of just bodyweight excercises unless your really out of shape or really young.

Also, you’d get much more feed back if you post current stats and any workout routine your doing at the moment. By trying to increase strength with emphasis on vertical, I take it your trying to improve your B-ball game or something? More information always helps so we don’t have to guess.

5’9
154 lbs

i dont really have a workout routine because my volley ball season is over and ive just started to train. The last two times i’ve gone to the gym i just benched, squatted, then did various leg machines.

For the bodyweight exercises, i was thinking about doing some of the Bodyweightculture type exercises. They got variations on bodyweight exercises. Burpees,pushups, and other stuff. i just thought it would be cool to have a workout program that had both.

Going to take a stab at this:

Train upper and lower 2x each/week. Upper will be 1 day low reps reps, 1 day higher reps for each movement. Lower will be one day low reps and one day maximal plyometrics training.

Something like:

A. Heavy Upper
Bench Press- 6x3-5
BB Row- 5x5
Face Pulls- 3x12
Tricep Extension- 3x12

B. Heavy Lower
Squat- 6x3-5
Step Up- 5x5
GHR- 3x10
Abs

C. Repetition Upper
Reactive Pushups- 5x5
Weighted Dips- 4x8
Db Rows- 3x12

D. Dynamic Lower
Box jumps
Clean Pull- 6x3
Abs

[quote]Stronghold wrote:

Train upper and lower 2x each/week. Upper will be 1 day low reps reps, 1 day higher reps for each movement. Lower will be one day low reps and one day maximal plyometrics training.

Something like:

A. Heavy Upper
Bench Press- 6x3-5
BB Row- 5x5
Face Pulls- 3x12
Tricep Extension- 3x12

B. Heavy Lower
Squat- 6x3-5
Step Up- 5x5
GHR- 3x10
Abs

C. Repetition Upper
Reactive Pushups- 5x5
Weighted Dips- 4x8
Db Rows- 3x12

D. Dynamic Lower
Box jumps
Clean Pull- 6x3
Abs

[/quote]

That’s a pretty good one, then any additional BW excercises could get worked into the dynamic lower.

To increase vertical jump height, couldn’t you simply hold onto some weights while jumping.

Hold onto some dumbbells, either let them hang out at your sides OR hold them at shoulder height. Now jump.

Just a thought.

[quote]strawberrysunday wrote:
To increase vertical jump height, couldn’t you simply hold onto some weights while jumping.

Hold onto some dumbbells, either let them hang out at your sides OR hold them at shoulder height. Now jump.

Just a thought. [/quote]

I’ve thought about that a couple of times, but the only way I can see that is if you had a weighted vest or hold a plate across your chest tightly. I don’t think you could do the DB’s because letting it hang you put a lot of pulling down pressure on your shoulders, and at I’m not sure how stable you would be with holding them at shoulder height.

Maybe something to fool around with carefully in your spare time.

[quote]Stronghold wrote:

Something like:

A. Heavy Upper
Bench Press- 6x3-5
BB Row- 5x5
Face Pulls- 3x12
Tricep Extension- 3x12

B. Heavy Lower
Squat- 6x3-5
Step Up- 5x5
GHR- 3x10
Abs

C. Repetition Upper
Reactive Pushups- 5x5
Weighted Dips- 4x8
Db Rows- 3x12

D. Dynamic Lower
Box jumps
Clean Pull- 6x3
Abs

[/quote]

for dynamic lower, I also like knee jumps.

I would be careful with adding weights when you jump, as it can adversely affect your jumping mechanics and it can also lead to increased wear and tear on your connective tissues.

hmm Harry Selkow uses the dumbbell jump shrugs with his athletes

"
Jump Shrugs: worked up to the point it was rediculous. Couple of the guys had 275 in their paws, got into the premier dead stance, fired off as hard as they could and maybe, just maybe, cleared a whopping inch. We had to stop because we were all laughing too hard.
"

taken from his log at http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/training-logs.asp?qid=67506&tid=156

i can only go to the gym on saturday and sunday so i cant really have two heavy days (thats part of the reason i want to do bodyweight exercises). I have a weighted vest, and im going to go buy some resistance bands to do some exercises like these:

As well as some burpee variations.

would it be ok to combine the heavy upper and heavy lower or substitute some of the exercises? For instance i cant do face pulls but i can do something else to substitute for it.

[quote]blunt wrote:
hmm Harry Selkow uses the dumbbell jump shrugs with his athletes

"
Jump Shrugs: worked up to the point it was rediculous. Couple of the guys had 275 in their paws, got into the premier dead stance, fired off as hard as they could and maybe, just maybe, cleared a whopping inch. We had to stop because we were all laughing too hard.
"

taken from his log at http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/training-logs.asp?qid=67506&tid=156

[/quote]

Those are jump shrugs…if jump shrugs were bad, then powercleans and clean pulls would be too. What Im talking about is practicing your actual jumping with extra weight…as in those dumb weighted shoes people used to use.