How to Maintain Qualities?

According to Alwyn Cosgrove, there are 7 areas of fitness that should be part of every training program.

1. Mobility
  2. Prehabilitation
  3. Core training
  4. Elasticity and reactive training
  5. Strength training
  6. Energy system development
  7. Reactive training

I agree that all of these are important to have especially for athletes. Im trying to figure out what is needed to maintain these different areas, as well as maintain muscle mass. Of the 7, the ones that I feel need the most attention during “maintenance” are:

1. Mobility
  2. strength
  3. Energy stystems
  4. And muscle mass

The reason I want to be able to maintain different qualities, is to be able to put more focus on other qualities or movements.

For example, after reaching a new pr on deadlift, I might want to deload, and then maintain my gains while I focus on squats, or something else.

I havent seen too much information on maintenance, but imagine that it takes less frequency, volume, and intensity to maintain than it does to develop these qualities. Also, during “maintanence” it is likely that these qualities might degrade, but at a slower rate than if they were not trained at all.

So what would be a good way to set up maintanence for the different qualities?

1. Mobility - I dont think mobility needs special recomendations for maintanence. It takes up time, but doesn’t necessarily take away from training the other qualities.

2.)Strength - As far as strength goes, I think max stregth will be the most important for me, especially since im not an athlete. Although reactive strength, and speed strength are important, they aren’t as important for me. Since strength is developed in the 1-5 rep range, I would assume that its best maintained by training in the same range.

But what % of your personal max do you need to lift to maintain some of that max, and what volume should you use?

Would 3x3 with 85-90% be enough to maintain?

3.)Energy systems - I think this is very broad, but covers strength endurance, and other metabolic and cardiovascular qualities. Also, since I wont be doing much “cardio” in my normal programs, it doesn’t make sense to do much in my maintanence programs. A lot of my energy system training will come in the form of circuit training, with a bit of HIIT on cardio equipment.

Maintaining these qualities seems more complicated to me, because there are so many different methods of developing them. An example workout to develop these systems might be EDT with 2-3 15-minute pr zones. Would a similar workout with 2-3 7 minute pr zones be good? Or what else?

Also, for cardio, i might do HIIT with 30 second sprints and 60 second recoveries to develop these qualities. As time goes on i would lengthen the work period and shorten the rest period. So for maintanence, do I work backwards and lengthen the rest periods, or do I keep them the same and shorten the total workout session.

As you can see, I need some recomendations here. Im sure maintanence varies much from person to person, and i’ll have to figure it out for myself, but some recomendations would be greatly appreciated.

May I ask:

1. What is your sport?

2. What are your maxes in the powerlifts?

3. How are you training now?

[quote]dankid wrote:

2.)Strength - As far as strength goes, I think max stregth will be the most important for me, especially since im not an athlete. Although reactive strength, and speed strength are important, they aren’t as important for me. Since strength is developed in the 1-5 rep range, I would assume that its best maintained by training in the same range.

But what % of your personal max do you need to lift to maintain some of that max, and what volume should you use?

Would 3x3 with 85-90% be enough to maintain?
[/quote]

Regarding maintaining strength, I don’t even think you need to do 3x3. I think just working up to a single rep of 85-90% would work. Now you have to learn for yourself how long you can maintain using that single. Once a week would work, but you might be able go anywhere from 10-25 days. Only you can find that out.

That being said, even when you move to another exercise or movement to focus on, you should still be doing movements that have some carryover. Using your example of going from the deadlift to focusing on the squat, Some movements to bring up your squat should have some carryover to increasing the deadlift. Or at the very least maintaining it. You wouldn’t PR on the deadlift then abandon all lower body movements to focus on the bench press.

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks that did help. Also I was reading “science and practice of strength training” and there was a little section on this.

I dont have a sport, and have previously only focused on max strength. My training was not balanced and I only really developed strength in deadlifts and db snatches. The last time I maxed, was a few weeks ago, and I was able to do 345 for 3 reps without straps. But this was at the end of my cut, so if I should be able to do higher.

My goals are to get stronger, bigger, and leaner.

Im realizing that my problem is that periodization doesn’t make sense for non-athletes. I know theres an article on here about that, so im gonna give that another read.

Also, I need to read up more on accumulation and intesification. In reading last night, i found it interesting that intensity can be defined as; a) % of 1rm, b) #of sets taken to failure c) #of submaximal sets in a given time.

I always new about other methods of progression but always focused on increasing the weight, or increasing the reps per set. But these other two methods seem very useful.

I think for someone with my goals, i may vary the weight less often than previously, and focus on other methods of intensification.

For example, if I am currently repping 300 on deadlift for 5x5 and it takes me about 15 minutes to do so. I might go to 325, and do as many sets of 3 as possible in 15 minutes. When I get to where I can do 10 sets of three, i’ll have the choice of incresing the weight further, or shortening the time period. There are just so many other methods.

So with my goals of strength AND size, does it make sense that my maintenance work should be around 5 reps. Like maybe once a week, i build up to a 5rm in the lifts im not training in the current cycle?

thanks again guys.