How to Leave Your Job Professionally on Bad Terms?

What’s your goal here?

You could do what I did and give 2 days notice (justify it by saying your new employer gave you a short notice and that you’re notifying your current employer as soon as you could)

Then, don’t tell them where you’re going, that really seems to piss them off. Tell them you have nothing to gain by telling them, but When they press you repeatedly for it eventually give in and tell them.

Thank them for all the opportunities and leave and don’t shake a single hand.

…but seriously, what in this world is more fun than leaving a job you don’t like? It’s the greatest!

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]CarltonJ wrote:
How can I hand in my notice professionally but show Im disgruntled. I don�¢??t feel im being given an equal opportunity and have discussed this with my employer many times �¢?? it falls on deaf ears.

Basically, I have a new job, and I need to no what to put in my notice. I have listed my remaining time period (3 weeks).

I don�¢??t want to include the traditional pleasantries like �¢??thank you for the opportunity�¢?? or �¢??it is with regret that I�¢??

All advice welcomed and appreciated.

And side, potentially silly question, do I just print the letter and envelope it and hand to my manager?! Im new to this. ive only had 1 job.
[/quote]
Ask for an exit interview and dont get emotional on your complaints, just keep it factual. [/quote]

This.

I did the same thing when i quit my last job, told my manager we needed to have a sit down, first words out of my mouth were that i had a better offer and X day would be my last. He asked why, i gave him some reasons as to why i was unhappy and that was it. Made it clear i wasnt open to a counter-offer.

[quote]spar4tee wrote:
What would be the point of letting them know how much you hated the job?[/quote]

For me it was because i liked my direct supervisor at my last job, we went out a few times and partied together after work and he was a good guy.

I didnt want him to think i had no loyalty and i was dipping on him for a few bucks more. Wanted him to understand there were fundamental issues with our operation and that i had an opportunity to alleviate those issues somewhere else.

Maybe this lead to them resolving some issues. Maybe not. As long as you arent a dick about it you should still be able to count on them for a reference in the future if needed.

[quote]carbiduis wrote:
What’s your goal here?

You could do what I did and give 2 days notice (justify it by saying your new employer gave you a short notice and that you’re notifying your current employer as soon as you could)

Then, don’t tell them where you’re going, that really seems to piss them off. Tell them you have nothing to gain by telling them, but When they press you repeatedly for it eventually give in and tell them.

Thank them for all the opportunities and leave and don’t shake a single hand.

…but seriously, what in this world is more fun than leaving a job you don’t like? It’s the greatest![/quote]

Burn those bridges! What are the odds you’ll ever want anything on the other side, anyway?!

Zero to gain. “I wouldn’t leave but I couldn’t pass up this opportunity.”

The only thing that can happen is this comes back and bites you in the arse. There is nothing in it for you a side from momentarily satisfying your ego.

[quote]CarltonJ wrote:
How can I hand in my notice professionally but show Im disgruntled. I donâ??t feel im being given an equal opportunity and have discussed this with my employer many times â?? it falls on deaf ears.

Basically, I have a new job, and I need to no what to put in my notice. I have listed my remaining time period (3 weeks).

I donâ??t want to include the traditional pleasantries like â??thank you for the opportunityâ?? or â??it is with regret that Iâ??

All advice welcomed and appreciated.

And side, potentially silly question, do I just print the letter and envelope it and hand to my manager?! Im new to this. ive only had 1 job.
[/quote]

Never leave a job on bad terms. There is no point, it won’t change anything. The satisfaction from doing so is underwhelming and you never know who your going to run into in the future. People tend to stay in the same industries. Your old boss could be your new boss someday, I’ve seen it happen.
For me, I thank them for the opportunity and move on. You are out of there, so why stir up shit?
It’s up to you, I would not do it even if the job sucks. It’s called being a professional.

[quote]audiogarden1 wrote:

[quote]spar4tee wrote:
What would be the point of letting them know how much you hated the job?[/quote]

For me it was because i liked my direct supervisor at my last job, we went out a few times and partied together after work and he was a good guy.

I didnt want him to think i had no loyalty and i was dipping on him for a few bucks more. Wanted him to understand there were fundamental issues with our operation and that i had an opportunity to alleviate those issues somewhere else.

Maybe this lead to them resolving some issues. Maybe not. As long as you arent a dick about it you should still be able to count on them for a reference in the future if needed. [/quote]
I will add that I realize people are by nature are selfish and petty. But now being an owner and manager I cannot fix things in my organization without feedback and knowledge. I welcome people to give an exit interview so I can make my company better. As a person who maybe leaving a company, you going to be one of those people your whole life that bitch and moan about everything but do nothing about it?

Kind of like being a FB or internet warrior of politics but not voting. If you have legit complaints on how an organization is run, then voice those issues and exit with class. If the company does not utilize that data or information then its on them, but as a professional you did your part.

This is just how I see things.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

Maybe this lead to them resolving some issues. Maybe not. As long as you arent a dick about it you should still be able to count on them for a reference in the future if needed. [/quote]
I will add that I realize people are by nature are selfish and petty. But now being an owner and manager I cannot fix things in my organization without feedback and knowledge. I welcome people to give an exit interview so I can make my company better. As a person who maybe leaving a company, you going to be one of those people your whole life that bitch and moan about everything but do nothing about it?

Kind of like being a FB or internet warrior of politics but not voting. If you have legit complaints on how an organization is run, then voice those issues and exit with class. If the company does not utilize that data or information then its on them, but as a professional you did your part.

This is just how I see things. [/quote]

The only party that stands to gain anything from an exit interview is the employer.

Cue the “it’s a trap” meme…

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

The only party that stands to gain anything from an exit interview is the employer.

Cue the “it’s a trap” meme…[/quote]

When I’ve left a shitty work environment I just leave, and advise friends/younger people to avoid the place. I don’t burn bridges, but I sure as hell won’t be crossing that one again.

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

Cue the “it’s a trap” meme…[/quote]
lol, to a point of course. However the people change jobs, the guy you are doing the exit interview may leave that company and work for another one. He may have been impressed about your ability to professionally exit and want you for his new company.

Life is weird you just never know.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

I interpreted his intent as leaning more towards venting about his position than constructive feedback regarding how the workplace is run to be honest.

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

I interpreted his intent as leaning more towards venting about his position than constructive feedback regarding how the workplace is run to be honest.[/quote]
I agree, but when you read the title that was what I was working off of.

This is how you do it:

[quote]pat wrote:
It’s called being a professional.[/quote]

This.

Thanks for the time taken guys.

the part about not burning energy and getting over something im moving on from certainly hit home.

i suppose bar going all joker-esq on them getting angry is only going be detrimental to me. i think ill keep it brief as much as itll kill me.

ill find if hard to answer things like “why are you moving on”, ive clearly outlined my dissatisfaction to them before. is it just a box ticking exercise? id love to anser “no comment” to all exit interview questions.

[quote]CarltonJ wrote:
i think ill keep it brief as much as itll kill me.

[/quote]

That pain and irritation builds character.

Enjoy it. It’ll be good for you.

You can always leave a steaming dragon in the bathroom on your last day.

[quote]CarltonJ wrote:
Thanks for the time taken guys.

the part about not burning energy and getting over something im moving on from certainly hit home.

i suppose bar going all joker-esq on them getting angry is only going be detrimental to me. i think ill keep it brief as much as itll kill me.

ill find if hard to answer things like “why are you moving on”, ive clearly outlined my dissatisfaction to them before. is it just a box ticking exercise? id love to anser “no comment” to all exit interview questions. [/quote]

There are ways to communicate your problems with the company in a professional manner. Part of that is learning tact, part of it is not making a big deal of the problems you do have, and part of it is framing the discussion around how you felt this new opportunity was really good for you, and that your problems with the company would not have otherwise forced you to quit.

I’d ask what your problems are and maybe we can help you word them appropriately, but more important than the wording is the delivery. And I don’t have confidence you’d be able to deliver the message in a manner that wouldn’t burn your bridges.

So yeah, don’t even bring anything up.

I’ve left jobs and bosses over the years that I couldn’t stand. My advice keep it positive and short on any details. Resist the short term satisfaction of telling someone how your really feel as there is no benefit to you.

Depending upon your industry you never know who you will work with down the line. I’ve had former bosses, employees and peers become customers, consultants and employees.

Resist any effort they might make to try to keep you. Once you have made the decision to move on do it; I’ve never seen a situation where staying after a counter offer worked out.