T Nation

How to Know how High Olympic Lifts Should Be?

Hey new to the forum but not to the sight been reading T-Nation for about 4 years now. Anyways, I was wondering if its possible to tell how much you should be able to do in the snatch and clean and jerk based on my bench.

I am a sprinter in track and barely worked any legs last year because of an injury but I am fairly strong. My max bench is 305 at 165 without a bench shirt.

I feel that it is impossible to tell because those lifts are so heavily dependent upon technique.

wtf lol you want to know how much you can snatch and clean and jerk based off your bench press? This is retarded.

These are the general balanced ratio for the olympic lifts though in my opinion-everyone is different though-

Snatch ~ 80% of C&J

C&J ~ 80-100% of Front squat (or FS 3rm)

Front squats ~ 80-90% of Back squat (high bar, close stance, no belt)

It’s an honest question based on strength. I haven’t been able to max out in any leg lifts in almost a year but i am finally in shape to do so again. So giving my numbers for squat and deadlift won’t help any because they will be extremely low because i just used them to rehab my injury slowly.

Yeah but just saying the bench press is in no way indicative to much much you can clean and jerk or snatch-and I just can’t see how someone would think that-. Scott medelson can bench over 700lbs raw, yet there are chinese men under 200lbs who could snatch and clean and jerk more then him.

There is no way to tell how much you should be able to do, just do them. They take a lot of technique to get the hang of.
http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.html
This site give you a good idea if your balanced-its not perfect though-

I don’t see the point of the question. Why not just lift and see what happens as you work up? Knock off while you’ve still got some in the tank and plan to get more next time until you’re breaking your old PRs?

Shizen is right. Benching gets its power from the triceps, shoulders, pecs and, lats…the o lifts on the other hand, get all of their power from the legs/posterior chain.

[quote]Indestructable wrote:
It’s an honest question based on strength. I haven’t been able to max out in any leg lifts in almost a year but i am finally in shape to do so again.

So giving my numbers for squat and deadlift won’t help any because they will be extremely low because i just used them to rehab my injury slowly.[/quote]

In this case, it is not an honest question. The bench does nothing to help the Oly lifts, and in fact a big bench can hurt the snatch if you don’t regularly stretch your chest after benching. If your squat and dead are down, then your Oly lifts will be more based on them than bench.

Even then, getting either lift to a decent level, you really need a coach to teach you technique. I’ve been lifting for over 7 years, and am still working on technique issues I have.

[quote]shizen wrote:
wtf lol you want to know how much you can snatch and clean and jerk based off your bench press? This is retarded.

These are the general balanced ratio for the olympic lifts though in my opinion-everyone is different though-

Snatch ~ 80% of C&J

C&J ~ 80-100% of Front squat (or FS 3rm)

Front squats ~ 80-90% of Back squat (high bar, close stance, no belt)[/quote]

Lol I was gonna say the same. Tricep, pec and delt strength have such a huge part to play in the olympic lifts after all!! I dunno why all the focus is on the P-Chain??? :stuck_out_tongue:

Those percentages are actually quite handy, I was gonna go looking for them. Last time I tried for a clean PR it was what I could front squat for 5 (ie my clean technique could be better).

I did front squats today for the first time in a long while and I sucked at them so I had planned on trainnig the hell out of them to try and get my numbers there up.

I’ll probably spend a few weeks working the oly lifts too to see what sort of correlation there is between my front squat poundage increase and the increase in them!