How to Increase Work Capacity for Legs?

Strong dudes who aren’t more muscular irritate me too.

I can’t just dismiss a strong dude, but when Knuckles was like “I never train and can’t teach you anything,” I put him on “the list.”

Also, Dr. M Israetel irritates me.

LMAO why? My only opinion of him is that he oversells redundant things just to differentiate himself from other guys also making a buck from selling programs. But then, I haven’t been bothered to read more of his stuff. Has he gone all Rippestiltskin lately?

1 Like

Idk if this was sarcasm or not, but I have no idea as to the guy’s strength levels lol. I just looked at who the author of the article was to see what he looked like. There was a couple pics of him deadlifting with a bunch of mismatched bumper plates that I had no idea how heavy it was

Edit; I also have no idea who Knuckles is lol

Dr Israetel got some of his education in my town, and I’d see him in the gyms. He was stronger than me. And he lifted with one of the hottest women in town.

So, jealousy, I guess?

Knuckles is the guy in that picture. He’s got like 1850+ total in Power Lifting. But doesn’t look very jacked.

Are you shittin me? That ^^^^ guy up there has an 1850 total and looks like a 15 year old tuba player?

Mind blown
IMG_1807

He wrote an article called

“What it Takes to Break World Records”

where he talked about a 1500 gym total at 14 years old. I was irritated!

That’s it? What if I told you I get deja vu reading his stuff since his repackaged pseudoscientific theories and overcomplicated programming have been around since 2003 but with updated studies and different acronyms?

Bwahurhurhur

1 Like

Silly acronyms, another strike!

1 Like

If anecdotal evidence is what works for you, that can be convenient because you don’t have to read any long scientific literature.

As for preferring exercise advise from someone who got jacked for a show one day of the year:

I always trained like that (High Intensity with its emphasis on few sets and maximal effort) so there wasn’t a huge difference. I just cut back a little bit from '92 onwards. Generally, before that I was doing two sets to failure. A lot of people get confused because it has been put out in the magazines that Dorian does one-set training. I never did one set per exercise: what I did was one set to failure.

I did the warm up sets before that and how many I did would depend on the exercise and where it was in the routine. The idea was to warm up and prepare that muscle for the maximum set because that was the one that counted, where you are overloading it and you are putting stress on your body that it is not used to and it is going to react by growing slightly bigger and stronger: that’s the idea. Prior to '92 I was doing two sets to failure, so I would do maybe a couple of warm-up sets and then one set to failure, then probably drop down the weight probably five to ten percent for the next set to failure.

Obviously, if I’ve been to failure with 100 pounds and I have six to eight reps, then if I did 100 pounds on the next set I wouldn’t get those six to eight reps because of the fatigue, so I would have had to drop down. After '92 I cut back to doing just one set to failure. So those were the major differences, but I always trained along those lines anyway.
–Dorian Yates

Why are you assuming I haven’t read any “long scientific literature?”.

I training pretty much like this. This isn’t what you wrote.

Do you think it’s over-complicated to simply aim for muscular fatigue? I’m saying there is no specific rep range one should always aim for in pursuit of hypertrophy. Simply aiming for muscular fatigue isn’t over complicated for me.

As for the article I posted, it’s not theory, it’s an evidence based approach. If pure theory is what you avoid, don’t read anything by Rippetoe.

1 Like

Are you sure you are arguing with the right person? This is the ONLY part of your post I disagreed with.

You’re not a U2 fan, are you?

There can always be warm up sets, but if a muscle group is fatigued to the power of a kitten, it’s ok to go home and rest.

U2 is the most overrated band of all time, next to Coldplay

1 Like

Bro, I have NO DISAGREEMENT with this nor ANYTHING ELSE OTHER THAN THE QUOTE IN THE POST ABOVE.

The author of the article you linked is GREG NUKOLS, NOT MIKE ISREATEL. I have NOT read anything by GREG NUKOLS.

Were you following the actual conversation? Go read the thread again.

AGREED.

Glad we fundamentally agree.

“F**k the mainstream!” --U2

You are the mainstream.

U2 have got three good songs.

Suck on that.

I can tolerate A Beautiful Day because I loved the movie Bandits.

However, I can never forget the day I witnessed a perfect ending to a near perfect film called Gangs of New York where I was overcome by the fact that even the appearance of the film’s title during the end credits was awe inspiring… then I heard an aawful whiny, nasally, paper-thin falsetto slowly becoming audible and I exclaimed in pure horror," NOOOO!!! NOT BONO!!! NOOOOOOO!!!"

1 Like

Fun fact:

U2 once had the start of their concert delayed because the big lemon they were sitting in malfunctioned and trapped them

Do you not love Hold Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me because it was in that excellent Batman movie?

speak not, the name of the Beast!