How to increase vertical jump?

It’s all about relative strength. If you increase your squat at a much greater rate than your bodyweight, then your jumping ability should increase. A double bodyweight FULL squat should get you up to a 30-35 inch vertical, a triple BW squat should give you an insane vertical.

[quote]supa power wrote:
It’s all about relative strength. If you increase your squat at a much greater rate than your bodyweight, then your jumping ability should increase. A double bodyweight FULL squat should get you up to a 30-35 inch vertical, a triple BW squat should give you an insane vertical.
[/quote]

This is the kinda reply I wanted to hear! :slight_smile: thank you!!!

Be careful there are plenty of people with high squat numbers and low verticals. If you have a true 25" you should have a higher vertical then 25". You need to make sure you know how to jump to maximize your strength. Plyometrics, and track exercises will help you much faster than squats at the moment. Supposedly one of the best ways is a 8 week strength cycle then a 3 week plyo/jump training.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
Be careful there are plenty of people with high squat numbers and low verticals. If you have a true 25" you should have a higher vertical then 25". You need to make sure you know how to jump to maximize your strength. Plyometrics, and track exercises will help you much faster than squats at the moment. Supposedly one of the best ways is a 8 week strength cycle then a 3 week plyo/jump training.[/quote]

I have a 25" for sure, we measured during our testing in my grade 11 fitness course. Thank you! I have never really done plyometrics, I think I may start implementing some plyometric training after I can squat 350 lbs or so, no particular reason, I just really wanna squat that much lol

True there are many with high squats with low verts, and from what I’ve seen with any of the athletes I’m around coordination has a lot to do with that. It’s important to train in all ranges of the force velocity curve, but find the part where you are weakest and work that harder. I’ve always found squatting heavy + speed lifts (power snatch, power clean, speed squats w/ weights between 50%-70%) + Jump training mixed well with a program of some sort (I like the way louie simmons organizes his training) the best way to increase jumping ability and explosive power. Oh and yes vertical jumping is more quad/glute dominant but a very strong set of hams makes it much easier to display that strength to jump high you need strong legs all around.

Either low bar or high bar, below parallel or full, any kind will increase you vertical. I have squatted both ATG and low bar. I didnt see the one or the other making my vertical better than the other. But definetely the low bar squat made me a better sprinter, probably due the use of the posterior on the low bar squat, dunno.

If you are over 6’1’’ or you have very longs legs, squatting ATG would not be very efficient for you, you should squat low bar to below parallel. And NEVER follow any bodybuilder programs, they will make your vertical shrink (yeah, I did that). Good luck :slight_smile:

Squatting heavy won’t help you jump higher in the short term. Think of squatting as taking out a long-term mortgage rather than renting. It’ll hurt you a lot in the short term, but if you plan it right, it should pay off as a good investment in the long term.

If you want to maximize your potential right now (within 3-4 months), ditch heavy squatting (>70%) almost completely. You want to focus more on jump squats (30-40% squat max MAXIMUM) for 3-5 reps for 3-5 sets.

Also, focus more on moderately-heavy power/speed movements (power)clean/snatch at 60-70% for 3 reps, no heavier than 90% of your max for a single maybe once a month.

Also, you’ll want to do plyometric movements. Depth jumps and altitude drops for sets of 3-5 with no more than 3 reps. Also, do several broad jumps with that.

If you are a beginner in plyometric training, I highly recommend Kelly Baggett’s Vertical Jump Bible. His exercises will build you up to where you can do the “real” plyometrics regularly.

Remember, lifting heavy weight (>80%) is counter-productive to super-fast twitch fibre training (what you need for insane verticals).

Take it from me, I went from a 24" standing vertical jump to a 36"+ standing vertical jump in 8 months following a routine I made based on former athletes’ training/advice from university (UT) sports coaches and trainers/Kelly Baggett.

You have to decide if you want to max out your potential right now or go all in, work on strength for a few years while maintaining low body fat and maxing your potential, adjusting accordingly for goals.

Lifting heavy weight and maxing your super-fast twitch ability are counter-productive to each other.

[quote]TurboLykes wrote:
Lifting heavy weight and maxing your super-fast twitch ability are counter-productive to each other.[/quote]

what are you talking about

[quote]TurboLykes wrote:
Squatting heavy won’t help you jump higher in the short term. Think of squatting as taking out a long-term mortgage rather than renting. It’ll hurt you a lot in the short term, but if you plan it right, it should pay off as a good investment in the long term.

If you want to maximize your potential right now (within 3-4 months), ditch heavy squatting (>70%) almost completely. You want to focus more on jump squats (30-40% squat max MAXIMUM) for 3-5 reps for 3-5 sets.

Also, focus more on moderately-heavy power/speed movements (power)clean/snatch at 60-70% for 3 reps, no heavier than 90% of your max for a single maybe once a month.

Also, you’ll want to do plyometric movements. Depth jumps and altitude drops for sets of 3-5 with no more than 3 reps. Also, do several broad jumps with that.

If you are a beginner in plyometric training, I highly recommend Kelly Baggett’s Vertical Jump Bible. His exercises will build you up to where you can do the “real” plyometrics regularly.

Remember, lifting heavy weight (>80%) is counter-productive to super-fast twitch fibre training (what you need for insane verticals).

Take it from me, I went from a 24" standing vertical jump to a 36"+ standing vertical jump in 8 months following a routine I made based on former athletes’ training/advice from university (UT) sports coaches and trainers/Kelly Baggett.

You have to decide if you want to max out your potential right now or go all in, work on strength for a few years while maintaining low body fat and maxing your potential, adjusting accordingly for goals.

Lifting heavy weight and maxing your super-fast twitch ability are counter-productive to each other.[/quote]

Ok, sorry but I have to ask, What you smokin’ bro?

[quote]TurboLykes wrote:

You just took everything everyone has told me and took what I thought I knew (increase squat, and vertical will follow) and told me the opposite… Can someone clear this up?

[quote]XArena wrote:

[quote]TurboLykes wrote:

You just took everything everyone has told me and took what I thought I knew (increase squat, and vertical will follow) and told me the opposite… Can someone clear this up?
[/quote]

if you want to jump high you have to have strong legs, so squat. you look like someone who is relatively new to strength training. so from the small bits of information i’ve been able to gather i’d say you should focus on strength first, while familiarizing yourself with basic plyometrics and jump training. then when you’ve gotten sufficiently stronger, reverse the priorities. focus on more advanced plyometrics, focus on your jump training, and put squatting on a maintenance level. that’s a pretty surefire way to increase your vertical jump, imo.

Alec

[quote]ape288 wrote:

[quote]XArena wrote:

[quote]TurboLykes wrote:

[/quote]

if you want to jump high you have to have strong legs, so squat. you look like someone who is relatively new to strength training. so from the small bits of information i’ve been able to gather i’d say you should focus on strength first, while familiarizing yourself with basic plyometrics and jump training. then when you’ve gotten sufficiently stronger, reverse the priorities. focus on more advanced plyometrics, focus on your jump training, and put squatting on a maintenance level. that’s a pretty surefire way to increase your vertical jump, imo.

Alec[/quote]

Okay, that’s what I thought, the whole strong legs so squat thing. I am relatively new, I squat 240x5, going to do 245x5 on Sunday. I’ve never really done any plyometric stuff, so I’m sure the noob gains from doing some will increase my vert a bit :slight_smile: thank you!

It depends on when you need results. For example, the UT coaches had Kevin Durant stop squatting because it killed his vertical jump a few months before season started. He lost something like 6-8" when he started squatting relatively heavy.

Sure, if you put a few years into strength training, then put 9-12 months into mostly speed training, you’ll get better results than if you would have never strength trained while doing speed training.

If you’re not pressed for speed results, do a strength-focused training first.

If you’re going to enter a basketball league soon or looking to compete in a speed-dominant sport in the next 6-9 months, it’s best to focus more on speed and agility training.

[quote]niksamaras wrote:
[/quote]

I don’t always smoke. But when I do, it’s the chronic.

But back to the topic. Squatting/lifting heavy is not conducive to short-term speed results. Ever tested your vertical, done a “Russian squat routine”, then tested again? I guarantee most people are going to be jumping at least 6" lower.

Now, if they do mostly speed training 3-6 months after that routine, they’ll probably gain 3-6" easy on their vertical.

[quote]TurboLykes wrote:

[quote]niksamaras wrote:
[/quote]

But back to the topic. Squatting/lifting heavy is not conducive to short-term speed results. Ever tested your vertical, done a “Russian squat routine”, then tested again? I guarantee most people are going to be jumping at least 6" lower.

Now, if they do mostly speed training 3-6 months after that routine, they’ll probably gain 3-6" easy on their vertical.[/quote]

I have been squatting 3RM-5RM for the last one year week in, week out. No deloads, 5RM’s are my deloads. My vertical the first month, until I get used to this kind of training, sucked. But as my squat increased, so did my vertical, slowly, but steadily. Mind you, the last year I also gained about 7 kg. Last week I decided that my 500 pounds squat was enough for now, so I really deloaded. Guess what? I am faster and jump higher than ever. So, heavy loads does not decrease your vertical, you are just too tired to jump at you max. Deload every 3 weeks, and you should be fine.

[quote]XArena wrote:

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
Be careful there are plenty of people with high squat numbers and low verticals. If you have a true 25" you should have a higher vertical then 25". You need to make sure you know how to jump to maximize your strength. Plyometrics, and track exercises will help you much faster than squats at the moment. Supposedly one of the best ways is a 8 week strength cycle then a 3 week plyo/jump training.[/quote]

I have a 25" for sure, we measured during our testing in my grade 11 fitness course. Thank you! I have never really done plyometrics, I think I may start implementing some plyometric training after I can squat 350 lbs or so, no particular reason, I just really wanna squat that much lol[/quote]

Typo I meant a true to parallel or lower 245lb squat. It might be a while to 350lb waiting will just put everything on hold. Plyometrics can help your squat as much as squatting can help plyo.

[quote]niksamaras wrote:
I have been squatting 3RM-5RM for the last one year week in, week out. No deloads, 5RM’s are my deloads. My vertical the first month, until I get used to this kind of training, sucked. But as my squat increased, so did my vertical, slowly, but steadily. Mind you, the last year I also gained about 7 kg. Last week I decided that my 500 pounds squat was enough for now, so I really deloaded. Guess what? I am faster and jump higher than ever. So, heavy loads does not decrease your vertical, you are just too tired to jump at you max. Deload every 3 weeks, and you should be fine.
[/quote]

Yeah, but by doing heavy slow lifting (squats) regularly, you are not at your optimum Type II b/x potential. I’m sure you could jump higher if you only lifted heavy three times a month, while focusing on speed movements at lower weights during most workouts.

It all comes down to a “spectrum,” as a sports scientist explained to me. At one end you have super-fast twitch (velocity) ability. At the other, raw strength ability. How you train will “drag” your body one way or another based on your genetics and recovery.

[quote]TurboLykes wrote:

[quote]niksamaras wrote:
[/quote]

Yeah, but by doing heavy slow lifting (squats) regularly, you are not at your optimum Type II b/x potential. I’m sure you could jump higher if you only lifted heavy three times a month, while focusing on speed movements at lower weights during most workouts.

It all comes down to a “spectrum,” as a sports scientist explained to me. At one end you have super-fast twitch (velocity) ability. At the other, raw strength ability. How you train will “drag” your body one way or another based on your genetics and recovery.[/quote]

You over complicating things,seriously. Less than double BW squat? Focus on strenth with some plyos on you speed day. More than double? Probably enough strength, plyometrics should be 60-70%of you training. Something like 3xBW?? 90% of your workout is plyos, 10% is strenth to retain that poundage on squats. So simple. Without enough strength, plyos cant do jack shit.

[quote]TurboLykes wrote:

[quote]niksamaras wrote:
[/quote]

Now, if they do mostly speed training 3-6 months after that routine, they’ll probably gain 3-6" easy on their vertical.[/quote]

the RSR, for someone who isn’t used to squatting with that kind of volume, is going to give you some tired legs. so it would be no surprise that their vertical jump went down. it’s not because the heavy training made them “slower,” it’s because their legs are tired and the nervous system is probably drained. if your squat strength truly increased, then take a few days off and retest the vertical and it will probably be up.

you say do speed training in the 3-6 months after the RSR, and that would probably give you an even bigger increase, but one could also make the argument that it was simply the time off from squatting that allowed the new strength gains to transmute into increased vertical jump performance. just a thought.

[quote]niksamaras wrote:
You over complicating things,seriously. Less than double BW squat? Focus on strenth with some plyos on you speed day. More than double? Probably enough strength, plyometrics should be 60-70%of you training. Something like 3xBW?? 90% of your workout is plyos, 10% is strenth to retain that poundage on squats. So simple. Without enough strength, plyos cant do jack shit.
[/quote]

this