T Nation

How to Increase My Grip?

i am weight loifting for about 2yrs and i am stuck on 185 for DL and i am using both overhand, i dont want to get into using under/over hand and also straps so how can i increse my grip

Kroc Rows. Fat bar work. Rack pulls.

I really think Kroc rows helped the best.

If you want to stick with overhand only, I would suggest learning the hook grip. Otherwise, I do double overhand until I cannot, and then I switch to a mixed.

[quote]savan1221 wrote:
i am weight loifting for about 2yrs and i am stuck on 185 for DL and i am using both overhand, i dont want to get into using under/over hand and also straps so how can i increse my grip [/quote]

so what’s the problem with a mixed grip? Andy Bolton, the guy who lifts 1000+ pounds uses a mixed grip. Why limit your deadlift to just 185# now? No one cares what grip you use just lift the bar dude… a dead lift is not a grip exercise, per se. Do some grip work after dead lifting. Just swap up the mixed grip so that each hand gets the same “over hand” work. Before long your grip will improve and so will your pull.

I like farmers walks

Reverse Curls x 4 sets x 12 reps
Fat Grips DB Holds x 3 sets x 30 secs
Plate Center Hole Holds x 3 sets x 30 secs

I use this about other week as my grip is shit afterwards but has helped me go from 180lbs farmers to 250lbs in about 4 months.

farmers carries, pullups, high rep rows

You have been at 185 for two years? Do you eat? I don’t want to sound rude, but I don’t think grip is your major limiting factor. If you’ve been lifting for 2 years and you can only pull 185 you need to find a new program, start eating, and start sleeping. The grip will come along in due time. I never do any direct grip work.

Perhaps he is using killograms?

I only started doing direct grip training recently…usually i go double OH until grip gives out and then switch to mixed. Agree with what 666 said and also like doing trap bar walks after my DL sets working upto 80-90% of DL max. Wrist rolls with a homemade PVC pipe into my rack pins also improved my finger strength quite a bit.

Have you tried chalk?

[quote]DSSG wrote:
Perhaps he is using killograms?[/quote]

That would make alot more sense!

[quote]DSSG wrote:
Perhaps he is using killograms?[/quote]

LOL I love Americans…seems most of the guys that get so confused by this also happen to be from flyover states…

1. Why would you only use a double overhand grip? Unless it’s a hook grip, that’s just asinine.
  2. Straps are fucking awesome. I use them all the time. Powerlifting doesn’t have a grip event. I’ve never lost a competition deadlift due to my grip.

Hold your final rep for as long as you can before putting the bar down.

Yes it’s probably KG and not lbs, but he’s still been at 185kg for 2 years. 2 years at the same weight and you aren’t even slightly concerned with his program? Get a new program if you haven’t gotten stronger in two years.

As others have said, there is nothing wrong with the alternated grip. If you must do double over then you have to learn the hook grip otherwise you won’t pull anywhere near what your muscles are actually capable of doing. Just to put it in perspective I have about a 150 lb difference between an alternate grip and a pronated grip.

To directly improve grip all of the following are good

Barbells shrugs to failure
Bodyweight hangs on the pull-up bar
Grippers (CoC are the best)
Wrist Roller
Wrist Curls
Fill a bucket up with rice and dig for the bottom

[quote]Tim Henriques wrote:
I have about a 150 lb difference between an alternate grip and a pronated grip.

[/quote]

Thats pretty rediculous, though beleivable for someone with a nine thousand pound deadlift.

Field mine is the same way. 275 is about all I can pull double over hand. 440 under over and almost 500 with straps.

[quote]Reed wrote:
Field mine is the same way. 275 is about all I can pull double over hand. 440 under over and almost 500 with straps.[/quote]

Sheesh! I can double overhand 455 and 500 mixed grip! I guess my grip doesn’t really give me much poundage.

[quote]Tim Henriques wrote:

Fill a bucket up with rice and dig for the bottom[/quote]

Awesome, I’m going to try that one!

I have done pretty much every grip exercise imaginable but years of working on a farm as a kid has made it so grip is only a problem if I lay off of deadlifts for any significant period of time. That being said, I trained the hell out of my grip for the Arnold GNC Pro Deadlift last year just to see if there was a difference. The only exercises I did were Fat bar deadlifts (either a weight and hold for time or find a max single), plate pinches, and COC grippers (closes and closes/holds for time).

I am not putting this up to toot my own horn or anything, I just want to show that I not only hit a PR, I also held it for 10 seconds with zero problem. I only put it down because the announcer sounded like he was getting frusterated. I was thinking about taking it with me and carrying it around for the rest of the weekend:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF187ZrRqMc

Anyway, those three exercises have had more direct carryover than anything else. I have noticed some extensor laxity in my hands so, I will make that one of my priorities for my next meet.