How to Increase Calories in Morning Protein Shake?

I am super busy in the morning with going back to school and working and kids. I normally make a protein shake to jam out the door with. Currently my shake is right around 800-900cal, I am not super strict on measuring everything to count my exact calories in it. currently my shake is two scoops of musclepharm combat protien (5lb bag at costco to save money), 1 cup greek yogurt. 1/2cup oats, 2 tbsp coconut oil, 2 tbsp peanut butter, 1 cup frozen fruit, 1.5 cups whole milk. and to be honest it is getting quite boring so I am just wondering what else other people throw in shakes to mix it up a bit and add in some cheap easy calories.

Flavoured milk lol

1 Like

Honey
Bananas
Weetbix
Avocado
Double cream

3 Likes

Pumpkin puree and pie spices.

1 Like

You can use flarovered oat meal packs to change the flavor up a bit

1 Like

I’d ditch the carbs; your cognitive alertness will benefit, and add more fats. Full fat cream, coconut milk, macadamia nut oil.

Vary your ingredients, and have multiple flavours of protein powder. I.e.,

1:1 Peanut butter → other nut butters

maybe use genuine nuts for a bit of added crunch. Ditto for pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, linseed, chia seeds, …

Use coconut milk and not just oil maybe. Different fruit blends, so, go banana heavy one day, apple heavy another, …

What about brain glucose?

This shake itself sounds like future diarrhea

1 Like

Try adding cheese. Cheese + Mango + protein + coco oil + milk tastes great.

1 Like

The brain runs well on fats. Glucose can be synthesized via gluconeogenesis, but it’s an inefficient and dependency driven process. I’m certain the t.s. has ample amounts of stored glucose already. Once I switched to a protein / fat based breakfast (at the suggestion of Charles Poliquin) my mental clarity, mood, energy levels, etc… all benefited. Oh…and zero gut distress.

Agree with all of this even with the reference to CP. I feel better mentally and physically with a reduced amount of overall carbs in my diet. I’m not carb-phobic by any means but I have no issues keeping them the minority in my diet.

For the OP, this might not be relevant but what does the rest of your diet look like? What percentage of calories is this breakfast shake in your total daily intake? Seems pretty hefty and might be a reason why it’s getting boring. I can’t remember the last time I threw down that much liquid calories at once.