T Nation

How to Incorporate Physiotherapy?

So I've been going to the physiotherapist recently because I have a lower back that has been hurting on and off for the last couple of years. She told me (and I already figured as much from reading this site) that it probably has to do with bad hip mobility.

Anyway, after a couple of sessions of doing stretch exercises this morning she created a workout schedule for me. Thing is, her schedule and the one I have been doing are very different.

While I have been doing a 4-day split with 3-4 sets of 8 reps working up to a max effort set, she wants me to start out with 3 sets of 30 reps with a really low weight so I learn how to keep my hips stable and my form perfect before proceeding to heavier weights.

My question is whether you think I should focus only on her schedule for now, which means limiting my progression for a couple of weeks as far as weight/strength increases go, or whether I should do a combination of her schedule and mine. I think WS4SB combines days of lighter weights and more/faster reps with max effort days with fewer reps and more weight.

Was her plan low weight on everything, like, even bench press or curls or something not hip related at all?

For exercises where the hip is important, consider not lifting more weight than you can do with good form. You might be down to bodyweight only for squats, for instance. Then those exercises effectively beome mobility work more than lifts… but if your form breaks down with the heavier weights, it may not be so good an idea to be doing them anyway.

Yeah, low weight on everything and then progressing up to fewer reps and more weight. She called it a strength building program but I am too indoctrinated with what I read on here too buy into it… I mean I know I should have good form and doing 30 reps with low weight while staying very focused on form may help, but as far as building strength goes there are far better programs to try.

And yes, bench press 30 with low weight too. In fact, I’m supposed to put my feet up on the bench to keep weight off of my lower back, and I know what the general opinion on that is around here :slight_smile:

So on the one hand I want to listen to her because she is a so called expert and I would rather not walk around with on and off back pain the rest of my life, but on the other hand I don’t want to waste my time with an exercise program that is half useless…

I guess I’ll give it a try for a week or two and then slowly return to my normal routine, hopefully with better form.

[quote]HerbertNL wrote:
So I’ve been going to the physiotherapist recently because I have a lower back that has been hurting on and off for the last couple of years. She told me (and I already figured as much from reading this site) that it probably has to do with bad hip mobility.

Anyway, after a couple of sessions of doing stretch exercises this morning she created a workout schedule for me. Thing is, her schedule and the one I have been doing are very different.

While I have been doing a 4-day split with 3-4 sets of 8 reps working up to a max effort set, she wants me to start out with 3 sets of 30 reps with a really low weight so I learn how to keep my hips stable and my form perfect before proceeding to heavier weights.

My question is whether you think I should focus only on her schedule for now, which means limiting my progression for a couple of weeks as far as weight/strength increases go, or whether I should do a combination of her schedule and mine. I think WS4SB combines days of lighter weights and more/faster reps with max effort days with fewer reps and more weight. [/quote]

A lower back that has been hurting? but you’ve been progressing in what? If you’ve been progressing in a movement that uses your lower back, then maybe it’s not really hurting and just sore.

Otherwise have you really been progressing if your lower back is f’d up?

It’s your choice you can either drive your car with a new wheel or you can keep the little retarded one on and try to drive 100 mph.

You’re right, I definitely want to get it fixed, it’s just that I don’t know for sure if my physio’s methods are the right way to do it. I mean I know she studied for this stuff and is supposed to know what she is talking about, but I’ve read so many articles and posts on this site about how the experts actually don’t know anything about weightlifting that I am second guessing her.

And yes I have been progressing because my lower back is not hurting all the time. Sometimes it won’t hurt for over a year and then I wake up one morning and it will hurt for two weeks straight. So I make plenty of progress in the time when it doesn’t hurt but I have started really focussing on squats and deadlifts recently and would rather have a 100% healthy back before I go very heavy on these exercises.

Anyway, I’ll give the 3 x 30 workout a try, focus on my form, and see what happens. If nothing else it might be a welcome change from my regular routine. Thanks for the advice.

Lower back pain can also be pain with no probable cause. In that case there is no stimulus for nocisensors, but there is stimulus for your nocisensoric system. Nocisensors are for registering damage and the proces of damage, is those are stimulated then there is a cause and effect relationship from the proces of damage and pain. If there is only stimulation of the nocisensoric system, then there is no direct cause and effect from damage and pain.

This stimulus can also be send from your cerebellum. Which means there are physiopsychological components in play… Which means components of anxiety or stress in your life that could play a role in your lower back pain. Perhaps something to think about. =)

Hey,

you should look at Eric Cressey’s lower back savers series. He posted them about two months back.I’m sure you can incorporate some of the movements into WS4SB. What diagnosis did the physio give you?

In my experience you can improve hip mobility will lifting resonably heavy. Lunge off a step/ lunge onto a step. Variations of bulgarian squats I find good for hip mobility along with mobility drills.

I don’t no what your injury is so I wont go into specifics but generally speaking one legged works is preferable when rehabing lower back as it half the load on the spine. Also overhead dumbell work is good to get you to stabilize your spine and build endurance in those core muscles.

I find there is a huge gap between physios and S+C coaches. Physios get you to a position where you are pain free with good range of motions but have little interest in performance.

That gap is because the most of the physios are not specialized in sport performance.