How to Improve Deadlift Start?

Great thread, as this is my weak point as well. Good responses so far, and here’s my $.02. The best pull I ever got in a meet was after being very consistent with SLDL’s from a 3" defecit. I did about three sets with as much weight as I could do for 5-8 reps, once a week on an accaessory day (different day than actual deadlift).

Advice from another source that has helped me was to bent barbell rows, but in a specific way. He suggests setting each rep on the floor and pulling from there every time, and he really emphasizes speed (even to the point that a little “momentum” in OK)with a good squeeze at the top. I hit my best raw pull after doing these for several weeks, but it didn’t seem to carry over to my suit for some dang reason.

Improving the deadlift is TOUGH!! I have missed many of my “accessory days” since starting a second business last March, and my dead has actually gone down after all that hard work. I shall return though!

I like speed pulls against chains from a 2-3" deficit.

CS

Sumo pulls have helped me a ton. As a matter of fact, I train my sumo pull more frequently than my conventional pull and I use conventional in meets.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]BlueCollarTr8n wrote:

[quote]RampantBadger wrote:
snatch grip deadlifts for assistance work[/quote]

Yes…and deficit deadlift. [/quote]

How much of a deficit do people use? I’ve see 2" is that the norm?

Thanks,

Chris [/quote]

I run a lot of deficit waves in which I’ll use heights of 4", 2.5", and 1.5". 2" is a pretty moderate deficit, and for that reason, it’s more common then severe heights like 4-5". High deficits are employed, but it’s an exercise in which treating it as a max-effort movement can increase the risk of injury, so a lot of people will use it in a lower intensity range (say, below 90% of a hypothetical 1RM). If I do train high deficits for single repetitions, I’ll usually use bands in order to decrease the weight I’m breaking off the floor:

speed deads are great but they are not for weak start
i never tried deficit, i will try it.
sumo is my last option and i dont want to move to it until i’m sure theres nothing i can do in the normal deadlift department.

the weight is relatively light to my weight (117.5kg at 69kg bw) i tried couple of times later 120kg, i did 3 rep and week after that 2 rep. so as i mentioned before it was always a struggle, and i’m not a novice so this weight for me is lame and should be much higher by now. i’m not so sure now that its the lower back arch thing, it is possible that i’m not build for it or whatever…

[quote]RampantBadger wrote:
snatch grip deadlifts for assistance work[/quote]

How do you progress with these? I’ve been doing them for a month or so for sets of 5 and adding sets every week while using the same weight. I would guess that as long as there is some sort of progression it’s not that important, but I like to know what others are thinking and doing.

Starting strength, at least for me, is almost all leg strength. Your low back is rounding because you’re not leading with your chest. If your hips rise and the chest doesn’t it’s hard for your low back to stay arched.

i’ve notice in the last sessions that my first rep is much better then the fifth.
although this is obvious it got me think.

what if i’ll do 5 singles instead of one set of five?
is there a reason why should i not do it?

What kind of reps are people using when doing the deficit deads? Also are you using it as an accessory lift or is it a main lift?

Thanks

I’ll substitute it for regular deads for a few weeks at a time (3-5). I typically keep reps in the 3-6 range, increasing weight and decreasing reps each succeeding week.

Alright cool, thanks for the reponses about deficit depth as well.