How to Identify True Over Training

I am currently training for the USCKF national kung fu tournament. over the past 6 weeks I have been training my ass off so I can be in top form, about 20 hrs a week. Over the past two weeks I have effectivly increased the intensity (most of the excercise is gpp, but I use weighted vests for more resistance, so by inensity I mean external load and volume of reps but not increased workout length)of my training by 50%, and I feel like a train wreck.

I feel heavy, tired and sore all the time, I am eating more than I ever have in my life, but my weight is stable at 180. But I am still making gains in endurance in strength, yesterday I broke 3 of my personal records for one arm pushups, and pistols and wide grip pullups.
I know clinicaly the only way to diagnose overtraining is with a blood cortisol test, but would like any ideas on what over training feels like, if it sounds like I am over training, or what to do to prevent over training.

[quote]Kagemusha wrote:
I am currently training for the USCKF national kung fu tournament. over the past 6 weeks I have been training my ass off so I can be in top form, about 20 hrs a week. Over the past two weeks I have effectivly increased the intensity (most of the excercise is gpp, but I use weighted vests for more resistance, so by inensity I mean external load and volume of reps but not increased workout length)of my training by 50%, and I feel like a train wreck. I feel heavy, tired and sore all the time, I am eating more than I ever have in my life, but my weight is stable at 180. But I am still making gains in endurance in strength, yesterday I broke 3 of my personal records for one arm pushups, and pistols and wide grip pullups.
I know clinicaly the only way to diagnose overtraining is with a blood cortisol test, but would like any ideas on what over training feels like, if it sounds like I am over training, or what to do to prevent over training.[/quote]

you definately sound like you are overtraining to me bro. just stay out of everything for 3-5 days, then before your contest lay off everything for 3-5 days. the rest is going to do you MUCH better than more training will.

some signs of overtraining are…
-worse than usual soreness
-worse than usual recovery times
-worse than usual sensitivity to sunlight
-lethargy
-not wanting to w/out

A lack of progress is probably the first real indicator of overtraining.

However, just because one isn’t progressiong doesn’t mean that they are overtrained.

Usually in anaerobic sports, you will overreach before actually overtraining. I believe overtraining is rare in these sports as most will start feeling worn out and cut back their training for a week or two and be back to normal. A cross country runner seems to always feel more is better and if they don’t train for a few days, they will lose it, hence why it is easier for them to overtrain. True overtraining causes a decrease in performance for months.

Anyhow, usually volume in the cause and not intensity. Take an easy day or two and maybe a couple days off. You will come back better.

If you just set 3 PRs, I wouldn’t worry about it. Your taper phase right before competition should take care of any lingering overtraining and give you that overcompensation you need.

You could be on your way to it. The feeling of heaviness was a big indicator for me. I would feel like that after working heavy labor all day, then lifting for about an hour and a half, 4 days a week. Made o.k. gains for a while then hit the wall, felt heavy and weak, stopped gaining. Could still lift the same amounts and work hard all day, but there was a never ending fatigue tagging along.
Had to knock off that half hour, and be sure to get a good nap.

[quote]Garrett W. wrote:
If you just set 3 PRs, I wouldn’t worry about it. Your taper phase right before competition should take care of any lingering overtraining and give you that overcompensation you need.[/quote]
alas i would think that this would be one of the main reasons that he would want to slow things down. setting 3 PR’s show that his body was taxed to its the highest it had ever been previously, which (probably) shows that it also needs a break.