T Nation

How to Hit 500 Lb DL in 12 Weeks?

I turn 40 at the end of August. I’d like to set a goal to hit a 500 pound deadlift between now and then.

Wednesday I did 325 and had some left in the tank and I hadn’t deadlifted since November.

Back in 2001, I had never deadlifted, and went from 0 to over 450 in 8 weeks. So why not try that again?

Well, I’m older, more sedentary and am at a gym where I can’t use chalk. Back when I wore a belt and chalked up.

Any suggestions on how I might train for this goal?

Thanks much!!!

Tim

Stickum and a deadlift suit.

Bingo.

I hit 505 today. I am so happy. Only advice I can give you is squat hard and DL harder. I did a squat/DL 2X a week for a good number of weeks, didn’t count. Then I took of 1 month from DLing and just continued to squat hard.

Then today, 225 x 1, 315 x1, 405 x 1, 495 x 1, 505 x1. Thats it…Oh, alternate your squat/DL days. Meaning squat first one day, DL first the next. Wish I had more knowledge but thats it. I am also 265 so this is not even 2x body weight for me, still a ways to go. Good luck

Liquid chalk, a load of work determination and dont take no for an answer thats a lofty ass 12 week goal bro but heel do it

Phill

Oh and eating like a horse aint going to hurt

Phill

Try any one of these -

http://tsampa.org/training/scripts/coan_phillipi_deadlift/

http://www.jackalsgym.com/xwwop/xwwopProgSuite1_0.aspx

http://staff.washington.edu/griffin/Anonftp/index.html

Good luck.

If you want to be good at something, you have to practice it a lot and do it right. You need to get out of that gym. Either go to a more hardcore place or buy a few vet mats and 500 lbs of weight and a texas DL bar and get after it in any one of several effective approaches.

Do your upper body stuff at the other gym for fun.

jack

[quote]jackreape wrote:
If you want to be good at something, you have to practice it a lot and do it right. You need to get out of that gym. Either go to a more hardcore place or buy a few vet mats and 500 lbs of weight and a texas DL bar and get after it in any one of several effective approaches.

Do your upper body stuff at the other gym for fun.

jack[/quote]

I agree, this is exactly what I did…although I already had a powerrack and everything, I bought more weights etc etc. Bought myself a texas power bar (not the DL bar)…cost me 500 bucks. and get to it!!!

[quote]tj14 wrote:
I turn 40 at the end of August. I’d like to set a goal to hit a 500 pound deadlift between now and then.

Wednesday I did 325 and had some left in the tank and I hadn’t deadlifted since November.

Back in 2001, I had never deadlifted, and went from 0 to over 450 in 8 weeks. So why not try that again?

Well, I’m older, more sedentary and am at a gym where I can’t use chalk. Back when I wore a belt and chalked up.

Any suggestions on how I might train for this goal?

Thanks much!!

Tim[/quote]

Why not do what you did last time? You say you went from 0-450 in 8 weeks.

Now you have 12 weeks to go from 325-500 (with something left in the tank). If the only thing you are missing is chalk, it should be doable. You can use liquid chalk like Phill recommended.

My gym doesn’t allow chalk, so I carry a bag of rosin in my pocket. Keeps the hands dry enough so they don’t slip, but doesn’t make a mess on the floor. If you use an alternating grip I would think you would be fine.

OK, my grip failed at 375. Twice.
First with a hook grip, then with mixed.
Went back down to 350 and pulled 5 singles.

What’s the advice on grip training?

I probably would’ve made the lifts otherwise.

[quote]tj14 wrote:

I probably would’ve made the lifts otherwise.[/quote]

Does your gym have a fat bar? If so, doing DLs, rows, and pull-ups w/ the fat grip does wonders for one’s grip. Also, farmers walks and plate-pinches help alot too. I know, it is bitching-out, but you might want to use straps so that you can have the satisfaction of pulling 500lbs first, and then work up to it without straps.

I used straps the first time I pulled 500. It gave me the confidence that my posterior chain was up to the task, and then I worked on my grip a shitload through fat bar use. Now I can hold a shitload. I am sure that you have read Cressey’s recent 3-part DL series. If not, memmorize it. It is a fucking masterpiece. Best of luck.

p.s. If yur gym doesn’t have a fat bar, wrap two small towels (or one big one) around a normal bar.

[quote]tj14 wrote:

I probably would’ve made the lifts otherwise.[/quote]

double overhand your warmup sets. try to set a PR each week for 3 weeks.

Learn how to Olympic grib the bar and learn to love it. I also find that doing heavy rack pulls in the cage helps with the grip. Put 350 on it, just move the bar a few inches to lockout, and hold it as long as you can. Repeat until exhaustion or you no longer have skin on your hands. And of course, use lots of chalk.

[quote]KBCThird wrote:
tj14 wrote:

I probably would’ve made the lifts otherwise.

double overhand your warmup sets. try to set a PR each week for 3 weeks.[/quote]

50lbs in 12 weeks on his DL? You guys think this is possible given that he has had some sort of lay off? But was able to go from 0-450lbs in 8 weeks? His grip had somehow lost a lot of strength and failed at 375lbs. The grip should come back quickly imo as you get heaiver.

But 10% in 12 weeks depends on how trained you are as an deadlifter and overall athlete.

Koing

Back in 2001, I did 450+ with a belt and chalk.

Now I’m going raw and without chalk (can’t have it at my “gym”).

The fat bar tip with a towel is a nice idea.

[quote]thmgoodw wrote:
Learn how to Olympic grib the bar and learn to love it.

tj14 wrote:

[/quote]

Doesn’t seem to have helped thus far.

good luck, you’ll need it. a more realistic goal is 400lb.

It’s taken me a good year to go from
190kg ( 419lb) to 222.5kg ( 490lb ) in competition.
500lb will fall in the next comp for me.

If you can’t even hold onto 375, you need to do real grip work if you have any hope of hitting 500 by august. You can get there, but static holds ain’t going to cut it. wrist roller, plate pinches, hand grippers, leverage bars, fat bars, reverse curls you need to open up the entire arsenal of grip training. Most guys can easily hold a hundred or so pounds above what they are pulling off the floor. You’re behind the curve right now.

Yeah I think my grip lags too. I shake hands with people all the time and think “Damn! nice grip.” But most of these guys can’t even lift 225 off the floor, much less 375.