How to Hard Boil Eggs?

What’s the best way to hard boil an egg so the shell peels easily?

some individual eggs just don’t peel as easily as the others even though they are from the same box. best way is to drown them in cold water right after they are ready

Just chop it in two and eat each side with a spoon. Shit now I want eggs.

Also as cdxer said blanching (emerge in cold water right after boiling) works good too.

Also make a crack with a knife around the middle of the egg and you can often pull the top and bottom off without much mess.

-chris

Generally, fresher eggs will be harder to peel than those that are closer to their expiration date.

This is what I do, and it works pretty consistently.

Cover eggs with cold water in a pot, throw in some salt with the water, bring it all to a boil.

Fill a bowl with ice and water and leave it in the freezer.

Once the water reaches a full boil, take it off the heat and let it sit for about 15 minutes.

Throw the eggs into the ice water, and wait 10 minutes.

Peel and enjoy.

i boil a couple dozen eggs a week and this is what i’ve learned: buy good eggs and don’t overcook them. make sure you have enough water so you can simmer them with the burner on low. 3 eggs per quart is a good rule of thumb. you’ll definitely need to cover them, again to keep good heat while not having to have the burner so high you’re cooking them from below.

a good heavy pot, like cast iron, will make keeping a nice even temp so much easier. so will letting your eggs sit out a bit to take the fridge chill off them. i start with room temp eggs and boil them 9 minutes. your results will vary. always use a timer to learn what you’re doing. experiment with the time/temp until you don’t get any gray on the yolks.

then do as the guy before said and run cold water in them for a couple minutes. then refrigerate.

cook them right and you can peel them one handed while driving as i do. most of the time they come off in two or three pieces.

I have a steamer that I do 3 dozen at a time in. They never touch the water which wouldn’t hurt them if it did, but they peel easily when made this way for me as long I don’t under do them. The steamer is essentially a pot with a shoulder that a grate sits on and a large domed top.

im a cook so i know this by heart haha

put eggs in cold water … bring to a boil over high heat … the instant the water starts to boil set a timer for SEVEN minutes … when it goes off take the eggs off the heat and slowly pour cold water into the pot full of hot water (this is better than dumping them straight into cold water because it prevents the formation of a little black layer between the yolk and white)

Thanks, everyone!

[quote]beginner1991 wrote:

put eggs in cold water … bring to a boil over high heat … the instant the water starts to boil set a timer for SEVEN minutes … when it goes off take the eggs off the heat and slowly pour cold water into the pot full of hot water (this is better than dumping them straight into cold water because it prevents the formation of a little black layer between the yolk and white)[/quote]

this works too and takes care of the cold eggs right out of the fridge problem , but you have to sit there and watch it waiting for the water to boil.

whereas if you put room temp eggs into already boiling water you can just set the timer and go do something else for 10 minutes. some people put a pin hole in their eggs on the air-sac end. this works too and i’ve found will decrease the cooking time by about 2 minutes( the air sac fills w/ boiling water).

i don’t do it though because i often eat them in the car and the water can still be in there when you crack it open.

After the egg is done, use your knuckle and hit the tip of the egg, the shatters most of the shell.

[quote]beginner1991 wrote:

put eggs in cold water … bring to a boil over high heat … the instant the water starts to boil set a timer for SEVEN minutes … when it goes off take the eggs off the heat and slowly pour cold water into the pot full of hot water (this is better than dumping them straight into cold water because it prevents the formation of a little black layer between the yolk and white)[/quote]

This worked great! The eggs had perfect color and peeled very easily.

Egglands Best now sells hard boiled and peeled eggs in a pouch. For those of us too lazy to boil them ourselves.

For whatever reason, putting the eggs in water and then heating the water to a boil has never worked for me. The shells always stick when I try that. If that way works for you, great. If you have a bizarro kitchen like I do, try this:

Get the eggs out of the fridge to get the chill off them, like 15 minutes or so. This helps prevent cracking when adding to hot water. While that’s happening, fill up a pot with water and bring it to a boil. Once the water is boiling, add the eggs and set the timer for 13 or 14 minutes. Put a lid on the pot and reduce the heat a little so it doesn’t boil over.

When the timer goes off, quickly get the eggs out of the pot and into a big bowl of cool water, and put that in the fridge for a little bit.

A suggestion and a question.

Suggestion: I’ve gotten pretty consistent peeling results by adding about a tablespoon or two (really just a quick splash, since I don’t measure) of white or apple cider vinegar in the pot before boiling. It helps to soften the shells a bit, without making them too much more prone to cracking.

Question: How long would a peeled, out-of-the-shell hard boiled egg keep in the fridge? I’m occasionally a lazy/hurried fella, and I’ve been considering cracking a few days worth of eggs the same day they’re cooked up. Do we think they’d tend to spoil too quickly if they’re shell-less but zip-locked and refrigerated?

Freaky sounding voice, but this is pretty cool…

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:
A suggestion and a question.

Suggestion: I’ve gotten pretty consistent peeling results by adding about a tablespoon or two (really just a quick splash, since I don’t measure) of white or apple cider vinegar in the pot before boiling. It helps to soften the shells a bit, without making them too much more prone to cracking.

Question: How long would a peeled, out-of-the-shell hard boiled egg keep in the fridge? I’m occasionally a lazy/hurried fella, and I’ve been considering cracking a few days worth of eggs the same day they’re cooked up. Do we think they’d tend to spoil too quickly if they’re shell-less but zip-locked and refrigerated?[/quote]

I’ve left em by accident for 2-3 days and they were fine.

man i make about 2-3 dozen every week to week and a 1/2 and they have been fine,

And yes i peel them and leave them all in a bowl with atight lid on it in the fridge and have evn had them in there for 2 weeks and they are fine!!

use an empty Metabolic Drive jar add vinegar and pickling spice those eggs will now last you decades if needed :slight_smile:

now that that culinary tutorial is over, does anyone know how to properly pour a glass of milk?