How to Handstand

Hey guys,

Here is a tutorial on how to handstand. I was involved in making this tutorial and I feel it’s the most comprehensive one on youtube. The handstand is an awesome conditioning exercise, not to mention it’s fun to just bust out wherever you are, so I hope it helps you towards achieving the skill or improving the form of your current handstand.

Thanks. Nice informative work. It’s nice to have bodyweight strength discussions/posts on here since this modality of training appears to be gaining in popularity.

I have pretty much mastered the handstand to the extent of being able to hold it and do reps of handstand push-ups (floor, parallel bars and elevated on concrete blocks). I have recently achieved the ability to walk forward and do 360 turns. Currently working on lowering myself into a controlled tuck and straddle planche from the handstand position.

The key for me was/is DAILY practice.

Good video, thanks for sharing

That’s right EGG HEAD, the key is consistency.

If you’re interested in learning the back lever, muscle-up or even forward roll (for the beginners) check out the youtube channel.

[quote]Tys wrote:
That’s right EGG HEAD, the key is consistency.

If you’re interested in learning the back lever, muscle-up or even forward roll (for the beginners) check out the youtube channel.

http://www.youtube.com/user/RingFrat[/quote]

While on the topic of consistency, it needs to be distinguished that CONSISTENCY, as it relates to SKILL acquisition, is completely different than that which pertains to muscle-building.

If I had only dedicated 2-3/days a week to handstand work, I would not have gone far. You have to give your nervous system a reason to adapt to a technical movement pattern and this means CONSTANT exposure to that specific stimulus. The degree to which you expose yourself to it can vary (i.e. volume) but it needs to be often. What do I define as often? 7 DAYS/WEEK!

Too many people out there throw in the towel when attempting to learn a skill maneuver because they don’t dedicate themselves to it. Not even remotely.

You have to IMMERSE yourself in it even if that means going to extremes. It’s skill-building, not muscle-building.

I like this, thanks for posting it.