How to Handle Lagging Body Parts During a Cut?

Here is my first contribution to the new subforum. I am currently dieting down so i am fully aware of the constraints in muscle gains while in a calorie deficit. So my question is during my gaining phase i saw really good results by upping problem area frequency to 2x a week and usually training that muscle first in the workout.

Now that I am dieting, I still want to work on my problem areas(rear dealts/traps/biceps/calves). Is there a point to still hit them 2x a week and prioritize them knowing the actual muscle gains will be minimal? Or should i still hammer the crap out of them extra compared to the rest of my body?

Hitting a muscle group 2x a week is what you should probably be doing anyways, depending on your level of development. So yes hitting them 2x a week is fine and probably optimal, although I wouldn’t ‘hammer’ them. Keep the volume at a logical place since you are in a deficit. Just maintain your strength lifts, and throw in some accessory.

[quote]PB Andy wrote:
Hitting a muscle group 2x a week is what you should probably be doing anyways, depending on your level of development. So yes hitting them 2x a week is fine and probably optimal, although I wouldn’t ‘hammer’ them. Keep the volume at a logical place since you are in a deficit. Just maintain your strength lifts, and throw in some accessory.[/quote]

I agree. Keep your working intensity the same, but keep in mind your recovery won’t be as good so the “strategic overreaching” would probably not be a good idea.

[quote]Waittz wrote:
Here is my first contribution to the new subforum. I am currently dieting down so i am fully aware of the constraints in muscle gains while in a calorie deficit. So my question is during my gaining phase i saw really good results by upping problem area frequency to 2x a week and usually training that muscle first in the workout.

Now that I am dieting, I still want to work on my problem areas(rear dealts/traps/biceps/calves). Is there a point to still hit them 2x a week and prioritize them knowing the actual muscle gains will be minimal? Or should i still hammer the crap out of them extra compared to the rest of my body? [/quote]

I would still hit them often when dieting. In fact, that is what I did with triceps while dropping weight last year. More than even twice a week, I was training them with at least one movement almost daily in between sets of my primary target muscle group. I would usually do triceps pressdowns…or do kickbacks…but this would be in between sets of maybe legs while my heart rate came down a little.

In a caloric deficit, I would possibly back off a little on the intensity if doing it the way I just described and use that time to focus much more on form and feeling that muscle group working.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]Waittz wrote:

Now that I am dieting, I still want to work on my problem areas(rear dealts/traps/biceps/calves). Is there a point to still hit them 2x a week and prioritize them knowing the actual muscle gains will be minimal? Or should i still hammer the crap out of them extra compared to the rest of my body? [/quote]

I would still hit them often when dieting. In fact, that is what I did with triceps while dropping weight last year. More than even twice a week, I was training them with at least one movement almost daily in between sets of my primary target muscle group. I would usually do triceps pressdowns…or do kickbacks…but this would be in between sets of maybe legs while my heart rate came down a little.

In a caloric deficit, I would possibly back off a little on the intensity if doing it the way I just described and use that time to focus much more on form and feeling that muscle group working.[/quote]

This is interesting. Was just talking to someone about this. Throwing in a few sets, way sub threshold on off days for that group.

[quote]jp_dubya wrote:

This is interesting. Was just talking to someone about this. Throwing in a few sets, way sub threshold on off days for that group. [/quote]

It is how I dropped that body fat and the main thing I took away when I trained with CT> He had me doing more a circuit with less focus on the weight used. It speeds up metabolic rate and provides pretty much all the “cardio” I need.

The leanest I got was training twice a day like this with much shorter rest between exercises and sets.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]jp_dubya wrote:

This is interesting. Was just talking to someone about this. Throwing in a few sets, way sub threshold on off days for that group. [/quote]

It is how I dropped that body fat and the main thing I took away when I trained with CT> He had me doing more a circuit with less focus on the weight used. It speeds up metabolic rate and provides pretty much all the “cardio” I need.

The leanest I got was training twice a day like this with much shorter rest between exercises and sets.[/quote]
hmm. Come to think of it, the same is true for me. I wish I had those old notebooks. I went every other day, but twice in the day I did go. I did all as a circuit. Short rest but not no rest. major compounds only. Ended with a few upper arm and the forgotten shoulder stuff. Bodyweight squats for reps too.
My diet was shit but my progress was good. I am older now, but what the hell.
I would like to see what you did in that phase, roughly. If I worked something up, would it trouble you to look at it and offer suggestions?

[quote]jp_dubya wrote:

I would like to see what you did in that phase, roughly. [/quote]

Granted some of my exercise selection was due to the otehr injuries I have had over the last year and training around them (shoulder tear, broken fingers, fractured arm).

A regular day of legs might look like:
Leg Press (I fucking love this lately…I don’t know why)

I would do one set…then go do a set of curls…then go do a set of triceps pressdowns…then my next set of leg press.

Then move to legs extensions and do the same.

I would do this before work so my number of exercises was limited to the time I had but usually in and out in about 45min.

Night time was back to the gym for squat machine and leg curls putting other movements in for triceps and maybe even that rowing exercise CT came up with.

Place weak bodyparts on the day of or day after a refeed or cheat.