T Nation

How to Go from 3 Day to 4 Day Plan? (Oly Focused)

After yesterday's workout I think my body is starting to take a bit of beating and based on my size & numbers some of my lifts are getting closer to that intermediate stage. I'm just thinking out loud ahead here, but I'm guessing at some point in the near future I'll want to spread out my lifts a bit more.

How would you guys move from a 3 day to a 4 day?

I was thinking this template would work well:

MON- Snatch, Squats, Presses (Snatch/Variations, Front Squat, OHP, HSPU, etc)
TUE- C&J, Pulls (Clean/Variations, Clean Pulls, RDL, Rows, Pull Ups, etc)

THUR- Snatch, Squats, Presses(Snatch/Variations, Back Squat, Push Press, Dips, etc)
FRI- C&J, Pulls (Clean/Variations, Snatch Pulls, Rows, Chin Ups, etc)

Looking at a lot of the beginner Oly programs they range from 3-6 days. With how life is right now, I can for sure commit to 3-4 days lifting every week. I think spreading them this way will allow my body to recover at a better rate.

What would you guys suggest? Any advice would be appreciated!

I guess that would work, obviously depending on the volume that you do in each session.

For me personally having anywhere from 15-20 working sets seems to be the sweet spot for a workout.

[quote]isdatnutty wrote:
After yesterday’s workout I think my body is starting to take a bit of beating and based on my size & numbers some of my lifts are getting closer to that intermediate stage. I’m just thinking out loud ahead here, but I’m guessing at some point in the near future I’ll want to spread out my lifts a bit more.

How would you guys move from a 3 day to a 4 day?

I was thinking this template would work well:

MON- Snatch, Squats, Presses (Snatch/Variations, Front Squat, OHP, HSPU, etc)
TUE- C&J, Pulls (Clean/Variations, Clean Pulls, RDL, Rows, Pull Ups, etc)

THUR- Snatch, Squats, Presses(Snatch/Variations, Back Squat, Push Press, Dips, etc)
FRI- C&J, Pulls (Clean/Variations, Snatch Pulls, Rows, Chin Ups, etc)

Looking at a lot of the beginner Oly programs they range from 3-6 days. With how life is right now, I can for sure commit to 3-4 days lifting every week. I think spreading them this way will allow my body to recover at a better rate.

What would you guys suggest? Any advice would be appreciated![/quote]

This is a good basis week, keep in mind your clean day will never be as close you your snatch day because you’ll always be fatigued from snatch day. That said, tightness in the back is a little more important to technique for snatch than clean.

I would make sure every third or fourth week you skipped day 3 and snatched and clean/jerk on day 4 to match competition.

Other than that your exercise pairings are good. Do you have a rep progressing scheme in mind or are you training for max every workout?

[quote]drewc64 wrote:
This is a good basis week, keep in mind your clean day will never be as close you your snatch day because you’ll always be fatigued from snatch day. That said, tightness in the back is a little more important to technique for snatch than clean.

I would make sure every third or fourth week you skipped day 3 and snatched and clean/jerk on day 4 to match competition.

Other than that your exercise pairings are good. Do you have a rep progressing scheme in mind or are you training for max every workout?[/quote]

I was thinking it would look something like this:

MONDAY
-Snatch 8x2
-Front Squat 3-5x5
-Overhead Press 3x5 + Pull Ups between sets
-Shoulder Circuit 3x10 (Lateral, Front, Rear Raises)
-Dips 3xF

TUESDAY
-C&J 8x1+1 OR Power Clean 5x3
-Clean Pull 5x3
-BB Row 5x5
-RDL 3x10
-Abs + Hypers
-Farmers Walks

THURSDAY
-Snatch 8x2 OR Power Snatch 5x3
-Back Squat 5x5
-Push Press 5x3 + Pull Ups between sets
-Shoulder Circuit 3x10 (Lateral, Front, Rear Raises)
-Handstand Push Ups 3x10

FRIDAY
-C&J 8x1+1
-Snatch Pull 5x3
-BB Row 5x5
-RDL 3x10
-Abs + Hypers
-Plate Pinches

I’m thinking maybe the rows I should go 3x10/4x8 maybe instead of the 5x5. I don’t really like squatting for triples. I am just starting to back squat again (Only been FS for past 6 months basically) so for the time being I’ll stay with a 5x5 once a week. Once the weight starts moving up I was thinking of decreasing the sets but keeping my intensity high. My body responds best in terms of strength to a low volume high intensity approach.

Program near the end…