How To Get Pot Belly Abs ?

There are few people who don’t have visceral fat and/or underdeveloped transverse abdominis that will have distended abs because of genetics. They exist but there are not many. The transverse abdominis is like an internal corset that keeps the stomach flat. This is a common look for those with underdeveloped transverse abdominis and overdeveloped rectus abdominis.

[quote]tveddy wrote:
I could be wrong, but I would think that it has a lot more to do with the fact that he eats a lot and doesn’t pose for pictures.
[/quote]

That is what most people should be thinking, not that every single person you see with an abdomen that protrudes a little when they are not fat has a problem with huge amounts of subcutaneous fat. I know I have read that on this site before and it is a oversimplistic way to even look at the human body. There are variations in all of us.

Maybe you guys are right, I don’t know Chuck or what his diet is like - I have drawn my conclusions based on a couple of photos. My first thoughts are based on the fact that he looks like he is flexing his abdominals yet is unable to flatten his stomach. Typically when the greater omentum is enlarged it creates this type of pot belly six pack. Because this organ filters sat fat, has a role in insulin response etc.- eating a poor diet while performing lactate inducing activities, such as MMA and or taking thermogenic supplements, steroids, GH, etc. (not that this is necessarily the case with him)ends up in an unbalance of omentum shrinkage to subcutaneous fatloss ratio.

Do I have any studies to back this up, no. Just a deduction of known factors (guys that do eat like shit and do all of the above with the same issues). The one guy mentioned the transverse abdominals, and this is a great point and could be another reason and or contribute to the issue.

We can put it simply and say he is just different or genetically built this way , but the above rant could, and I emphasis could, be the physiological and anatomical reasoning behind.?

Like I said, it’s really a non issue, just some thoughts of my own.

I think Chuck has a relatively higher bodyfat (~17) and carries it in his lower ab area.

I think its mainly muscle mass. He’s not so concerned with sucking in his abs like most people.

Paul Chek looks kinda the same in some pics. I doubt its due to poor diet.

It is probably as Prof X said hyperdeveloped abs and underdeveloped chest, arms and shoulders. A lot of bodybuilders have the same thing going on during the offseason. I’ve attached a picture of Victor Martinez from his DVD(kick ass DVD by the way) that shows this.

[quote]mharmar wrote:
It is probably as Prof X said hyperdeveloped abs and underdeveloped chest, arms and shoulders. A lot of bodybuilders have the same thing going on during the offseason. I’ve attached a picture of Victor Martinez from his DVD(kick ass DVD by the way) that shows this.[/quote]

In most of their cases, it is that they are never actually walking around with an “empty stomach” unless they are on stage. Hell, I don’t compete and my stomach is rarely empty unless I am just waking up after several hours of sleep. I am usually eating something before true “hunger” sets in.

I think some people are just a little too self conscious. I knew kids growing up who were lean yet had abs that stuck out like that and it was their natural posture. It has been falsely spread that this is a “problem”. Unless it is extremely pronounced like in the case of Craig Titus or Cutler where the cause is more than likely extreme Gh and anabolic use over several years, rushing to judgement on people instead of just considering they are just built that way is jumping the gun.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
mharmar wrote:
It is probably as Prof X said hyperdeveloped abs and underdeveloped chest, arms and shoulders. A lot of bodybuilders have the same thing going on during the offseason. I’ve attached a picture of Victor Martinez from his DVD(kick ass DVD by the way) that shows this.

In most of their cases, it is that they are never actually walking around with an “empty stomach” unless they are on stage. Hell, I don’t compete and my stomach is rarely empty unless I am just waking up after several hours of sleep. I am usually eating something before true “hunger” sets in.

I think some people are just a little too self conscious. I knew kids growing up who were lean yet had abs that stuck out like that and it was their natural posture. It has been falsely spread that this is a “problem”. Unless it is extremely pronounced like in the case of Craig Titus or Cutler where the cause is more than likely extreme Gh and anabolic use over several years, rushing to judgement on people instead of just considering they are just built that way is jumping the gun.[/quote]

Yeah I generally start the day with a flat stomach and end it looking like a much much smaller version of Victor up there.

mharmar wrote:

I think some people are just a little too self conscious. I knew kids growing up who were lean yet had abs that stuck out like that and it was their natural posture. It has been falsely spread that this is a “problem”. Unless it is extremely pronounced like in the case of Craig Titus or Cutler where the cause is more than likely extreme Gh and anabolic use over several years, rushing to judgment on people instead of just considering they are just built that way is jumping the gun.[/quote]

I saw this dude at a triathlon a few weeks ago in Vancouver. Is he built this way, destroying his body with triathlons or really just a weak playstation addict?

Hummm, pic not loading?

Unbelieveably obvious lordosis and kyphosis…i.e shitty posture resulting from several factors…essentially muscle imbalances/tightness

OMC

[quote]OMC wrote:
shitty posture

OMC[/quote]

Wait…stop right there. Anything else is speculation and much less likely. He’s a guy with no muscle who stands with his shoulders rolled forward while having very little muscle tonicity in his abdomen. I would label that “weak-bitchitis” if I wasn’t such a professional.

[quote]OMC wrote:
Unbelieveably obvious lordosis and kyphosis…i.e shitty posture resulting from several factors…essentially muscle imbalances/tightness

OMC[/quote]

Nah, I think that’s guy’s just falling asleep.

Okinawan Goju Ryu karate founder Chojun Miyagi, used to spend about eighty percent of his class time doing excercises with weights to develop what he called a “karate physique”.

Chuck has a good build for someone who does a striking art like Karate or Kempo or I should say he is built like someone who has done those arts and done some of their breathing excercises.

In the West we tend to breath from the chest by using our rib cage because a slim waist and puffed up chest is considered attractive even manly.

In the Orient they tend to breath from the lower abdomen like a baby does because it is considered a sign of health. The Budda belly gets much respectin china, because it is a sign of breathing from the lower abdomen.

For a fighter there are advantages to Budda breathing. First is it expands the lungs from bottom 2/3 first, this increases their capacity improving performance.

Next is it makes you a lot harder to hurt. If you ever get a rib broken or merely fractured the first thing you will notice is it hurts like hell to do anything that makes your ribs move. If you breath by contracting the intercostal muslces to rise the chest you will be moving those ribs every time you breath. The pain will make it impossible to take a deep breath for a few weeks.

If you breath from your belly button (Budda breath) by relaxing your abdominal muscles you can still get almost your full lung capacity, because remember 2/3 of your lungs lies below your ribcage. I’ve had ribs fractured and broken fighting and this breathing technique has been a real life saver.

Budda breathing is considered to be a healthier way to breath, because it works by relaxing the abdominal muslces in unsion with the diaphram to draw air in. Exhaling the advantage is the diaphram and abdominal muscles contract together. This style of push, relax, breathing is what influenced Lamaze.

When breathing from the chest you have to contract muscles to raise the rib cage while relaxing the diaphram to inhale, then you have to relax muscles to lower the chest while the diaphram contracts to push air out.

Budda breathing is more relaxing because it works by relaxing all your muslces to take air in.

Another thing that Budda breathing does for the martial artist is relaxing the lower abdomen allows everything in the abdomen to shift a little lower in the body. Two inches below the belly button is a point called the Dan Tien, it is close to the bodies center of gravity, relaxing the lower abdomen allowing your some of your mass to drop closer to your center works somthing similar to how an ice skater accelerates into a spin by pulling their arms and leg closer into their center. This can have a profound effect on striking power and blocking power.

So what you are seeing in Chucks build could actually be some of the reason why he’s such a hard hitter. It could also be a result of the training he has done.

[quote]Sifu wrote:
Okinawan Goju Ryu karate founder Chojun Miyagi, used to spend about eighty percent of his class time doing excercises with weights to develop what he called a “karate physique”.

Chuck has a good build for someone who does a striking art like Karate or Kempo or I should say he is built like someone who has done those arts and done some of their breathing excercises.

In the West we tend to breath from the chest by using our rib cage because a slim waist and puffed up chest is considered attractive even manly.

In the Orient they tend to breath from the lower abdomen like a baby does because it is considered a sign of health. The Budda belly gets much respectin china, because it is a sign of breathing from the lower abdomen.

For a fighter there are advantages to Budda breathing. First is it expands the lungs from bottom 2/3 first, this increases their capacity improving performance.

Next is it makes you a lot harder to hurt. If you ever get a rib broken or merely fractured the first thing you will notice is it hurts like hell to do anything that makes your ribs move. If you breath by contracting the intercostal muslces to rise the chest you will be moving those ribs every time you breath. The pain will make it impossible to take a deep breath for a few weeks.

If you breath from your belly button (Budda breath) by relaxing your abdominal muscles you can still get almost your full lung capacity, because remember 2/3 of your lungs lies below your ribcage. I’ve had ribs fractured and broken fighting and this breathing technique has been a real life saver.

Budda breathing is considered to be a healthier way to breath, because it works by relaxing the abdominal muslces in unsion with the diaphram to draw air in. Exhaling the advantage is the diaphram and abdominal muscles contract together. This style of push, relax, breathing is what influenced Lamaze.

When breathing from the chest you have to contract muscles to raise the rib cage while relaxing the diaphram to inhale, then you have to relax muscles to lower the chest while the diaphram contracts to push air out.

Budda breathing is more relaxing because it works by relaxing all your muslces to take air in.

Another thing that Budda breathing does for the martial artist is relaxing the lower abdomen allows everything in the abdomen to shift a little lower in the body. Two inches below the belly button is a point called the Dan Tien, it is close to the bodies center of gravity, relaxing the lower abdomen allowing your some of your mass to drop closer to your center works somthing similar to how an ice skater accelerates into a spin by pulling their arms and leg closer into their center. This can have a profound effect on striking power and blocking power.

So what you are seeing in Chucks build could actually be some of the reason why he’s such a hard hitter. It could also be a result of the training he has done. [/quote]

Agreed.

So what did we learn in todays class kids?

whhoooaaahhhh hold the phone…did you just question my “professional” assessment…thats such an unprofessional thing to do. I expected better from you X…the technical term is weak-bitchitis nervosa I’ll have you know.

A terrible afflicton linked to the well know and documented anorexia nervosa. Apparently its all the rage in the eyes of the ladies these days and makes us hawwwt…YOU IN???

don’t act like you don’t want that physique :wink:

OMC

OMC wrote:

OMC

Wait…stop right there. Anything else is speculation and much less likely. He’s a guy with no muscle who stands with his shoulders rolled forward while having very little muscle tonicity in his abdomen. I would label that “weak-bitchitis” if I wasn’t such a professional.[/quote]

[quote]Sifu wrote:

So what you are seeing in Chucks build could actually be some of the reason why he’s such a hard hitter. It could also be a result of the training he has done. [/quote]

This isn’t just for martial artist, it is for all activities related to endurance. You can fill your lungs with much more air when you breath from your abs and not your chest. That plus a full stomach and genetics are far more likely than odd fat distribution issues from drinking.

And just because the dude drinks doesn’t mean the rest of his diet is shit.

oh hell.

I appreciate alot of the guys on this forum are in it for the aesthetics but some of us dont do it to pose and chuck like many of us when he poses for a picture doesnt go for the “tight abs” look cos it dont really matter to him he’s a fighter and his abs are supplemental to what he does. Basically some of us arent tying to look like a crossover between mr olympia and linford christie some of us just wanna get better at our sport and oh so fucking sorry if we dont inspire you when we pose for a pre fight picture. Damn how will I get that calvin klein contract now.

We are all here for different reasons and some of you are over analyzing others cos they dont conform to your idea of a good body but fom what I’ve seen chucks does what its gotta do so who gives a damn if he doesnt suck it in for photo’s you shallow gimps.

Would someone mind explaining to me this so called “hyperdeveloped” ab phenomenon?